Denon 2000 or 5000
Mar 27, 2008 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Exediron

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for a while for a pair of headphones for rock and metal, as well as some other use, and I think from what I've heard that I like the Denon 2/5000 the best. My questions are thus:

a) How much difference is there between the two? Is it worth the extra price?
b) Will a HeadRoom Total AirHead drive either of them properly?
c) How comfortable are they, and how much do they leak sound?

I don't like to mod headphones, so I don't care if a well modded 2000 is as good.

Thanks in advance

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 7
both headphones are extremely comfortable so you don't need to worry about comfort issue
their sound is lightly the same but D5000 is a little better
they both have the same driver but D5000 has better cable and housing wood.So if you are planning to recable your denon to make it sound better, then you should go for D2000.
However, you can also buy the D5000 and do Markl's mod(or ask him to do it for you) and your D5000 will be on the same level of Sony R10 as Markl says.(I am waiting to get my mod D5000 now).

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, as I said in the beginning, I'm not planning on modding them. I want it as is. What sort of amp would you say I'd need to properly drive them? I have two currently, the AirHead and a Technics SU-G50.

The Denons are both 25 ohm I think, so they can be driven by either amp I suppose, but how much would a superior amp really improve them? I don't want to spend more then a thousand dollars on both amp and headphones, and preferably less.

Also, I've read that both are very fragile and don't travel well, in addition to leaking sound a lot. Are either of these true, and how much?

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 7
The build quality is pretty good but I wouldn't travel with them because they are big and it do seem kind of fragile. And they leak little to no sound when listening at a moderate volume. But they will leak sound if you crank it up.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, anything will leak if you turn it up high enough. As long as they keep it in at reasonable levels, it works for me (Not like Grados, which you can hear pretty clearly at normal levels).

So it sounds to me like the answer to my first question is that yes, the 5000s are better, but maybe not enough to really justify spending the extra on them (Although I might anyway).

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 7
Only differences AFAIK are cable, wood cups, and the D2000 has a ring or something in its interior that helps control its bass, whereas the D5000 doesn't.

If you do the Markl mod, most people get a recable beforehand, since afterwards it's pretty hard to recable. That's one difference down. Also, I'm not exactly sure on this (some other person stated this), but with the Dynamat and Fiberloft in the earcup, the other person (not Markl) said the acoustics of the wood is negated, so that's another difference between the D2000 and D5000 gone. It make sense to me, since it seems hard for the wood to influence the sound when it's being blocked by a sheet of Dynamat. Markl also mods D2000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back