Denon 1500 II Quick Impressions
Feb 24, 2006 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

johnmatrix

100+ Head-Fier
I recently picked this up from ebay for 75 shipped after reading some favorable impressions on here. I was looking for a cheap high quality source and this seems to fit the bill. After opening the box it came in, I placed a cd in and moved the tracks around. The player kept up well with about 1 sec to find a track. However, there is a loose rubber band between two gears controlling the cd tray. The player opens well, but when the gears reverse the band bunches up then catches. So, the tray won't close all the way. Does anyone know any tricks to tighten rubber bands or am I going to have to go out and get some new ones?

My first impression is this seems to be a better cd source than my emu. I am hearing things in songs that I have not heard before. Like in Sunday Morning by Maroon 5, I did not know there was a small female part throughout the song. The separation of instuments is better as well; it is easier to pick apart different instruments in La Fiesta by Maynard Feguson. Overall, the denon feels like a step in the right direction. When I fix that rubber band, this will be an excellent on the cheap source.

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 7
The rubber band is a common issue with old Denons. Go to Office Depot and look at the rubber bands they have available there. You should be able to find one that suits your CD player. Aside from the rubber band problem, I think Denons are superb sources.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Just a quick update. I e-mailed the seller to ask him how to unlock the transport just to make sure I did not damage the transport the unlocking it. He e-mailed me back asking me what a transport lock was
rolleyes.gif
. Before I post feedback on this guy I want to make sure the shipping did not ruin the transport. Initially there was skipping and misreading on scratches, but I got rid of it by cleaning the lens. So, What are the symtoms of a bad transport?

Edit: The player is now skipping and misreading on brand new discs, cleaning the lens did not get rid of all the problems. I think the player is mistracking(yay!).

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Just a quick update on the player. It does misread even brand new discs and worked before shipping. So, hopefully I can get things worked out with the seller and this will not be a $75 lesson.

On a brighter note, I stopped by the Crutchfield store in my area and they were having an outlet sale. On one of the shelves was an NOS or returned Denon DVD-2900 for $250
icon10.gif
. So, I scooped it up as an early birthday present and now have a solid universal player. Some impressions coming soon.

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
Just a quick update on the player. It does misread even brand new discs and worked before shipping. So, hopefully I can get things worked out with the seller and this will not be a $75 lesson.

Sorry to hear about that, there is always some risk with old CD players and shipping. I had a Rotel badly damaged in shipping due to my failure to tape the drawer shut. My old Denon did not have a transport lock and most players these days dont which means that sometimes if the player is not firmly packed the tray can slide out and shred the gear though this itself should not cause mistracking. Did you pay for shipping insurance, if so you should be able to claim for repairs if you can point to physical damage on the box.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 7
Ah - that's bad news. Sorry to hear about it. When buying and selling these things most people forget to lock the transport. When I got my 1560 I was very particular that the player be locked before shipping and that the tray be tapped down as well. To this day (over a year now), I have had no problems with it whatsoever.
icon10.gif

I say you try to make a shipping insurance claim or some other claim to cover the repairs.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 7
The buyer is checking the insurance now because it was automatically insured for up to $100. Unfortunately, I threw the box away with a damaged corner because I assumed the transport was locked and the player itself was pretty well packed. However, my 2900 is easing the pain.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back