Denon 1001s vs ATH-AD700
May 28, 2009 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

XtT

New Head-Fier
I found this forum after wandering around Google for awhile and had a quick question

I recently bought a pair of Audio Technica's ATH-AD700 but I mainly listen to trance and house and found the bass a bit lacking but not enough to bother me that much, I was wondering if it would be worth it to swap with my friend who's getting Denon 1001 as I've read around here that they're better for trance

If anyone could help, that would be great

May 28, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 6
I like the AD700's more for trance... but I'm no bass head.

The D1001 does have more bass, however.
But really, better for trance translates directly to more bass quantity, in this case
The AD700 has a better sound stage and detail... which I think is important for trance.

I don't listen to trance that much, however.
much more stuff like Perfume

May 28, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 6
The improvements you will notice from going to D1001 from AD700:

- You'll get much better bass response and extension.

- They're more compact overall, definitely much more portable than AD700.

- Shorter cord also makes it more portable than AD700.

- Simple mods/recabling is available to "almost" take them to D2000 levels.

- You'll leak much less sound, and you'll have miniscually more isolation than AD700 (saying that, miniscule increase from essentially no isolation doesn't mean much...)

- Depending on the shape of your head, these may be more comfortable.

- Pleather pads are cooler and less itchy.

What you will be sacrificing:

- The soundstage. D1001 won't even come close (though it is alright for something closed).

- D1001 doesn't match the overall clarity of AD700.

- Mids will sit back even more than AD700.

- D1001 won't be as smooth and accurate as AD700. D1001 can be flabby at complex passages.

- I found the highs more natural on AD700 (But D1001's highs aren't bad either).

- Depending on the size of your head, they may not be as comfortable.
tongue.gif

- The earpad will not be easy on the ears (pressure wise) as the velour earpads in AD700.

Two different animals, really.

May 28, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 6
I disagree on the smoothness
I find the AD700 to be grainy compared to the D1001.

And, I guess I have no idea what mids sound like.. because I find that the mids on the AD700 sit back way more than the D1001. Maybe you amp them and that changes it?

The gainyness could also be attributed to the X-Fi. (Need to get going on the BantamDAC)

May 28, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree on the smoothness
I find the AD700 to be grainy compared to the D1001.

And, I guess I have no idea what mids sound like.. because I find that the mids on the AD700 sit back way more than the D1001. Maybe you amp them and that changes it?

The gainyness could also be attributed to the X-Fi. (Need to get going on the BantamDAC)

AD700's can indeed be somewhat grainy at times (although personally I don't think they are that grainy as many say)and are definitely no reference headphones, but the reason for me giving them the smoothness factor was because D1001 from my experience really lose it in complex passages, especially trebly/bassy ones where the extreme ends just eats the mids up and stirs it up into a bit of a mess. As an example I'd listen to AD700 for classical, but I wouldn't do it with D1001. More evident in some genre than others though, so perhaps it's not fair to use that example.

With the mids, I think you may feel that way because D1001 feels much more closer overall because of their compressed soundstage. Of course, they definitely do have defined enough mids, but they do sit back quite a bit IMO relative to their highs and bass, which sometimes just take over (again though, the markl mod and recabling DO change that so D1001 is much more versatile in that sense). AD700 I feel are relatively even throughout the entire range, though ALL frequencies seem distant because of their huge soundstage.

I never amp either headphones btw for reference. Proper amping either I'd reckon would cover their weaknesses slightly, though I personally think they benefit massively at all (and at home, when I got HD650 and K701 I have no reason to... D1001 is now my niche headphones for bassy stuff and AD700 are my gaming headphones). But it definitely wouldn't hurt for that extra bit of refinement.

May 28, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Ah, Sorry, I mistook your meaning of "sit back." you were talking in terms of stage.
I think that the AD700 has recessed mids compared to those of the D1001.

In any case, I can agree with most everything else you say.
The D1001 is bad with classical.. and AD700 is bad with stuff like Pink Floyd, imo.
AD700 is also really good with TV.

Anyway, in terms of Trance, there is less of a clear winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back