Denon 1001 Good choice for using with guitar amp?
Nov 7, 2008 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zookroo1

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I just came across this forum tonight and there is a ton of good info! I was just looking into getting a decent set of headphones for use with with my guitar amp during late night playing. They would probably get some ipod usage as well. They don't need to be completely isolating as long as a lot of sound doesn't leak out. Someone recommended the Sennheiser HD280s to me and they seem decent, but they don't seem to be as well loved here. Would the Denon 1001s work for what I need? My budget right now is up to $100, so either the Sennheiser or Denons fit that bill. Thanks for the advice!

Brian

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi, I have a Vox Valvetronix 15 Watts

I tried 3 headphones on it:

1- Grado Sr-80 : Sounded brilliant, but i returned them for the love and care of my ear health (it was a real pain on the ears after 10 minutes)

2- Denon 1001 : Terrible compared to the grado's , but i love them for music

3- Bose Supra on ear: Very good on the amp close to the grado's but I like the Denon's better for listening to music

so for the amp: Grado > Bose > Denon

for music: Grado = Denon > Bose
Thought choice but it depends of what you want to do more with the cans.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 6
What amp do you have?
I have a Tech21 Trademark 30, and a Vox Valvetronix SE pedal. I dont like using Denon's with it (my D2000).

I liked AKG Sextett's best with guitar amps. My Sextett EP's have been the only real decent headphone to play with my electric guitars with crunchy sounds.
Nothing else seemed to foot the bill for me.

I should note its a strange phenomenon, with electric guitar amps headphones seem to require different properties to work than with normal music listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back