Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Dec 4, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #1,336 of 1,800
Yes, I've just bought one. It arrived in the UK on Monday last week. The differences are really minor. There are slight (unspecified) component changes to the internal linear power supply, and the mechanism by which the power interfaces with the main board is different. Minimal to no SQ improvement over standard Pontus II.

Seems maybe I should go for the 12th even if the differences are minor. Cost is only ~10% more. Worst case I'll get better resale out of it, not that I expect my decision to be selling the Pontus!

You purchased from eBay? Or were you able to get it through Vinshine?

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #1,337 of 1,800
Seems maybe I should go for the 12th even if the differences are minor. Cost is only ~10% more. Worst case I'll get better resale out of it, not that I expect my decision to be selling the Pontus!

I only buy directly from Alvin at Vinshine Audio. He is amazing - just brilliant customer service.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #1,338 of 1,800

Protip talk to Alvin on Whatsapp he always will guide you in the right direction.

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,340 of 1,800
Shame he's got no respect for his UK distributor.
I have no idea what that means, but it's clearly none of our business.

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,341 of 1,800
Yes, I've just bought one. It arrived in the UK on Monday last week. The differences are really minor. There are slight (unspecified) component changes to the internal linear power supply, and the mechanism by which the power interfaces with the main board is different. Minimal to no SQ improvement over standard Pontus II.

I don't see the Pontus 12th only Ares 12th at Vinshine.com, so how did you pruchased it, can I know the price you paid in Singapore $.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #1,342 of 1,800
I don't see the Pontus 12th only Ares 12th at Vinshine.com, so how did you pruchased it, can I know the price you paid in Singapore $.
They haven't updated their site. Order standard Pontus II and you are sent 12th. Price per their site.

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #1,344 of 1,800
I only buy directly from Alvin at Vinshine Audio. He is amazing - just brilliant customer service.

I agree fully to this - at least in my experience.

I have been away from Head-Fi for awhile, but I've recently purchased and received the Pontus II from Vinshine Audio, and I've had a couple extremely enjoyable headphone sessions. I've been using the internal DAC from my Innuos Zen Mini + LPSU for a year or so for my headphone and 2 channel set up. The internal DAC is likely a $50 part that is there for the functionality of connecting an amplifier directly to the server.......but it hasn't been shown to be rubbish when compared to my friend's Chord Dave or Holo May or Chord Qutest.

I met a fella at a recent Audio Advice 'show' at the Hilton in Raleigh, NC - and he introduced me to the Denafrips brand.....he had recently downsized homes and his system. He replaced a costly DAC (can't recall which one at this time) with the Ares II, and he was very impressed with the sound. I didn't have a chance to demo his Ares II, but started reading / watching reviews.......that got me to the Pontus II.

I purchased through Alvin at Vinshine Audio, and the customer service has been exemplary. Through the ordering process, tracking, and delivery - Alvin, Annie, and Vincent communicated well and answered the few questions that I had. I've only had a few short listening sessions with the 2 channel and the headphone setup, the improvement in sound over the Innuos internal DAC is clearly evident (as one would rationally assume.....not simply confirmation bias). The main improvement that stands out to me is that the edginess of the Innuos DAC is removed - the Pontus II provides more resolution, and a smoother response during my short A/B comparisons. My modest set ups:

2 channel - Innuos Zen Mini + LPSU - USB - Pontus II - Naim SuperNAIT 3 - Dynaudio Super Forty - REL 7Tx (pair)
headphone - Innuos Zen Mini + LPSU - USB - Pontus II - Eddie Current ZDS - Focal Utopia

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,345 of 1,800
I agree fully to this - at least in my experience.

I have been away from Head-Fi for awhile, but I've recently purchased and received the Pontus II from Vinshine Audio, and I've had a couple extremely enjoyable headphone sessions. I've been using the internal DAC from my Innuos Zen Mini + LPSU for a year or so for my headphone and 2 channel set up. The internal DAC is likely a $50 part that is there for the functionality of connecting an amplifier directly to the server.......but it hasn't been shown to be rubbish when compared to my friend's Chord Dave or Holo May or Chord Qutest.

I met a fella at a recent Audio Advice 'show' at the Hilton in Raleigh, NC - and he introduced me to the Denafrips brand.....he had recently downsized homes and his system. He replaced a costly DAC (can't recall which one at this time) with the Ares II, and he was very impressed with the sound. I didn't have a chance to demo his Ares II, but started reading / watching reviews.......that got me to the Pontus II.

I purchased through Alvin at Vinshine Audio, and the customer service has been exemplary. Through the ordering process, tracking, and delivery - Alvin, Annie, and Vincent communicated well and answered the few questions that I had. I've only had a few short listening sessions with the 2 channel and the headphone setup, the improvement in sound over the Innuos internal DAC is clearly evident (as one would rationally assume.....not simply confirmation bias). The main improvement that stands out to me is that the edginess of the Innuos DAC is removed - the Pontus II provides more resolution, and a smoother response during my short A/B comparisons. My modest set ups:

2 channel - Innuos Zen Mini + LPSU - USB - Pontus II - Naim SuperNAIT 3 - Dynaudio Super Forty - REL 7Tx (pair)
headphone - Innuos Zen Mini + LPSU - USB - Pontus II - Eddie Current ZDS - Focal Utopia

Eddie Current - OMG!

Fellow veteran here - British Army

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #1,346 of 1,800
Thank you for the supports, guys. Yep, Pontus II 12th is shipping now.
We expect to officially announce the Pontus II 12th sometime this month. Nonetheless, if you place an order on our website, you will receive a Pontus II 12th.

/Cheers :grinning:

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,347 of 1,800
So my Pontus is now my DAC for my 2.1ch is a room I went to rather extreme measures to treat. With LTA Z40 integrated and Dynaudio Heritage Specials. My buddy loaned me his turntable and I've listened to some records I know.

Yes there are some differences, somethings presented differently.... But there is nothing "better". I attribute that to hi res audio and the Pontus. Noting is bright, no digital glare, nothing compressed. Maybe that's not all Pontus, but analog being clearly "better" is no longer valid today.... Not valid at reasonably attainable gear for normal people today.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #1,348 of 1,800
Thank you for the supports, guys. Yep, Pontus II 12th is shipping now.
We expect to officially announce the Pontus II 12th sometime this month. Nonetheless, if you place an order on our website, you will receive a Pontus II 12th.

/Cheers :grinning:
Hi Alvin,

Can you summarize what the Pontus 12th has that the predecessor doesn't?

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #1,349 of 1,800
I'd like to know as well

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #1,350 of 1,800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back