Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Aug 3, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,171 of 1,800
Would be nice if HQPlayer app can be installed on Android phone/tablets, its so much more convenient than using a PC or laptop. I would gladly pay the premium for the app.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,173 of 1,800
HQPlayer app can be installed on Android phone/tablets, its so much more convenient than using a PC or laptop.
Agreed! I've used hqplayer integrated with Roon, and it was a pretty decent setup. Still not quite as convenient as having it on its own app. But the Roon interface makes it much more convenient.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #1,174 of 1,800
Aug 3, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #1,175 of 1,800
There is an app called HQPDCONTROL (the name just rolls off the tongue). It’s just a remote though you still need to have a machine to run HQP (either desktop or embedded)

Android link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.prochazkaa.hqpdcontrolv4
Yeah, i've tried it. It' still pretty kludgy. But a move in the right direction.

At any rate - i'm getting my hqplayer server setup again and i'm going to try it on the Pontus. should be fun!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #1,176 of 1,800
Yeah, i've tried it. It' still pretty kludgy. But a move in the right direction.

At any rate - i'm getting my hqplayer server setup again and i'm going to try it on the Pontus. should be fun!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Let me know if you need help with any of the settings, it can be a bit daunting at first and some settings need to be tweaked a bit out of the box for R2R DACs depending on your setup. Drop me a PM if you get stuck

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,177 of 1,800
Will a Microsoft Surface Pro 7+ tablet be able to install HQPlayer and run well with the Pontus2 ? If so, do you need any other app in tandem for HQPlayer to work or stand alone is fine?

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #1,178 of 1,800
Will a Microsoft Surface Pro 7+ tablet be able to install HQPlayer and run well with the Pontus2 ? If so, do you need any other app in tandem for HQPlayer to work or stand alone is fine?

It should be, although you may not be able to run the most intensive filters / modulators depending on what you are upsampling to. I would also run Roon as well (and set up HQP as a zone)

For starters see if it can handle DSD256

1x - poly-sinc-gauss-long
Nx - poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp (linear phase)

ASDM7ECV2 modulator

If you can run these settings you may never want to change them tbh, but it’s also a good starting point to see if it chokes your CPU and you can adjust accordingly. My M1 Mini runs these settings handily, it’s no where close to pegging the CPU.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #1,179 of 1,800
It should be, although you may not be able to run the most intensive filters / modulators depending on what you are upsampling to. I would also run Roon as well (and set up HQP as a zone)

For starters see if it can handle DSD256

1x - poly-sinc-gauss-long
Nx - poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp (linear phase)

ASDM7ECV2 modulator

If you can run these settings you may never want to change them tbh, but it’s also a good starting point to see if it chokes your CPU and you can adjust accordingly. My M1 Mini runs these settings handily, it’s no where close to pegging the CPU.
What Pontus settings do you use when you run hqplayer?

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #1,182 of 1,800
Any recommendation on turning the Pontus on/off? Most of my DACs I just leave turned on.

Leave it on so the internal components stay at optimal operating temp. (If you need to turn it off for some reason use standby on/off - on the front rather than fully shutting it down)

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #1,183 of 1,800
Any recommendation on turning the Pontus on/off? Most of my DACs I just leave turned on.
I've left mine on since the day I got it - no issues.

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,185 of 1,800
Question, how many total hours of play time or left ON for the Pontus to hit its final state? Trying to figure out if I am near that final point or still have more hours to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back