Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #766 of 1,845
Yaa.
I am from Auckland.
And yes, it is very hard to put the hands on demo units to listen before to buy.
That is why it takes a lot of hours of careful research an reviews to make the decision to order some from overseas.

Regards,
Kim
You live in a beautiful part of the world.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #767 of 1,845
You live in a beautiful part of the world.
I can only imagine how hard it is to get stuff in NZ. Hopefully strong broker community and costs aren’t too crazy.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #769 of 1,845
can someone help me out? what was the price of the pontus II pre order in USD?
I don’t believe they have had a pre-order price since introducing the Pontus to the market a few yrs ago. The product is only pre-order if they are out and waiting for more to be built. As far as I understand it, they didn’t pre-order the Pontus II as a brand new product, but just kept selling as an upgraded model.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #770 of 1,845
can someone help me out? what was the price of the pontus II pre order in USD?
Check the Vinshine website. They show both Singapore $ and converted US $. Since they are currently out of stock, you will need to preorder. They charge about 50% first on my CC and then the remainder 50% when ship. That’s what I went thru last year.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #772 of 1,845
Never seen that before. You should ask the moderator. Not sure why anyone would trade a far for a DAC, but maybe they would.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #774 of 1,845
why would I leave my house if I had the terminator?
To buy records would one reason. Food, drink, errands, travel, family. Just to name some reasons to leave your house.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #776 of 1,845
Hey there! How does Pontus II differ from Pontus I?
I believe on the Pontus II page on Denafrips & Vinshine websites Alvin discusses the differences between them. Power Supply, the feet, and a few other significant changes. I have listened to both a Pontus I and II. Ho early, they both sound fantastic, but the II is better. Everything is just a bit quieter and sounds are more holographic. I cannot express enough how good this DAC is. Price to Performace makes it their best product. It isn’t their best sounding DAC; but certainly for the price it isn’t close. You will not find another DAC at this price that can compete. The only two other DACs I’d buy under $4k are the TEAC UD-701n and the Denafrips Venus II. Perhaps the Sonnet Morpheus.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #777 of 1,845
wooo everyone is posting pics of their pontus... mine just arrived. tried coax and usb but prefer i2s. i think it sounds better than ares right out of the box especially with i2s which ares does not have. ares does sound a touch more "natural". can't imagine how much better this will sound in the hours to come.
pontus.jpg

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #778 of 1,845
I bought a Gustard P26 Class A preamp with rollable opamps out of curiosity and didn't expect much from the device. I've added it to my chain and to my surprise it made a sonic difference with the stock opamps. In this case with the Pontus II, it added brightness, clarity/resolution, instrument separation and sound stage (probably due to the brightness). The warmth seems to be push back a little bit and I'm guessing this perception is due to the added brightness. Furthermore, some have commented with the Burson V6 Vivid opamps, it kicked it up a notch. I have yet to do so, it'll be on the roadmap down the line. I've done my assessment with the FA-12 and LCD-X '21.

I was entertaining the idea of upgrading to the Venus but with the new addition I'm satisfied with the outcome and stay firm for now.

IMG_6028.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #779 of 1,845
I bought a Gustard P26 Class A preamp with rollable opamps out of curiosity and didn't expect much from the device. I've added it to my chain and to my surprise it made a sonic difference with the stock opamps. In this case with the Pontus II, it added brightness, clarity/resolution, instrument separation and sound stage (probably due to the brightness). The warmth seems to be push back a little bit and I'm guessing this perception is due to the added brightness. Furthermore, some have commented with the Burson V6 Vivid opamps, it kicked it up a notch. I have yet to do so, it'll be on the roadmap down the line. I've done my assessment with the FA-12 and LCD-X '21.

I was entertaining the idea of upgrading to the Venus but with the new addition I'm satisfied with the outcome and stay firm for now.

How would you compare the D90 to the Pontus?

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #780 of 1,845
How would you compare the D90 to the Pontus?
It's a little challenging to A/B because the Pontus II output is higher than the rest of the DACs I have. I also have the Qutest (not pictured) and has the lowest output of the bunch. I can live with any one of these DACs but I use the Pontus the most. It is the warmest of the bunch, not by a whole lot but enough for me to turn it on. The delta sigma DACs have a very slight definition over the Pontus. Comparing the D90 to Pontus, D90 have a slight additional definition and slightly less warm. However, the Pontus II has this timbre the D90 doesn't have in its presentation. It's not very evident, but with critical listening you can spot it and it's quite enjoyable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back