Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Dec 28, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #724 of 1,845
Honestly, the difference is there but very minute. IMO, the nos mode is the most organic sounding, while the OS mode is more precise, clean and sharp. I didnt mess with the filters is OS mode. I prefer the nos mode because it sounds more natural with my Elise OTL which is paired with some warm tubes.

Dec 29, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #725 of 1,845
Honestly, the difference is there but very minute. IMO, the nos mode is the most organic sounding, while the OS mode is more precise, clean and sharp. I didnt mess with the filters is OS mode. I prefer the nos mode because it sounds more natural with my Elise OTL which is paired with some warm tubes.
I hear that minute difference also. I like how precise OS is but the NOS does have that more natural sound. I think I'm going to stick with NOS and maybe switch to OS once in awhile to see if I like it better.

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #727 of 1,845
I hear that minute difference also. I like how precise OS is but the NOS does have that more natural sound. I think I'm going to stick with NOS and maybe switch to OS once in awhile to see if I like it better.
If I am rolling some really warm tubes, then the OS mode really sounds good. But for majority of my listening, I prefer nos

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #729 of 1,845
It could change if Pontus had NOS. It is just a different oversampling mode.

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #730 of 1,845
I might be wrong but I suspect there’s a lot of self conscious bias in preferring one of the two modes…NOS mode has this proclaimed ability to sound organic, smooth, analogue-like. In reality there’s no actual NOS mode, as someone else pointed out. I don’t think I could pass a blind test, but I think I prefer the OS mode on my Venus.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #732 of 1,845
Denafrips 'NOS' is a primitive linear interpolation filter of oversampled data to the maximum ladder frequency (768kHz, depends on the model). It was replaced with more effective FIR DSP filters long time ago. No wonder there is no big difference between OS as reported by many.

Some people do not care about NOS and many others are listening to the computer generated music, so popular these days. In the later case NOS has no advantage at all. When the original Ares was released people complained about lack of NOS, so subsequent releases come with a fake NOS. For most people it doesn't matter, enjoy music. :)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #733 of 1,845
I might be wrong but I suspect there’s a lot of self conscious bias in preferring one of the two modes…NOS mode has this proclaimed ability to sound organic, smooth, analogue-like. In reality there’s no actual NOS mode, as someone else pointed out. I don’t think I could pass a blind test, but I think I prefer the OS mode on my Venus.
I saw that video too on YouTube, and as he’s extremely careful and precise with his measurements I have no reason to doubt him. It comes down to Denafrip’s version of NOS. Which “by definition” is not NOS if it’s been altered or messed with, but for them it’s their idea of NOS and how it would sound vs OS which is clearly over-sampled to achieve a more processed and corrected signal.

OS in my systems does sound more processed and accurate, where NOS sound closer to what I get from my turntable. OS is smaller and has more precise placement where NOS is larger and less defined. As for a blind test, maybe not but for sure one can pick out the NOS v OS when switched in/out, as for fast or slow, I can’t hear much difference for what it’s worth.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #734 of 1,845
For those of you that have done the USB firmware update for a Denafrips DAC (specifically the Pontus II), what was the nature of the sound quality improvement that you have heard (if any, :wink:). I just did the USB firmware update for my Denafrips Pontus II. The quality of the sound seems to be still similar, but there seems to be more transparency and immediacy to the sound post-upgrade. I'm avoiding any superlatives as I recognize the potential impact of psychoacoustic biases especially after just doing the firmware upgrade.

I've been biting my nails for two weeks debating as to whether to do this firmware update. Getting a potential SQ improvement was definitely intriguing, but messing up the SQ of the Pontus was definitely something that concerned me. Thanks to all of you including @geoffalter11 and @jwilliamhurst, that posted your positive impressions after having done the firmware update! So glad that none of what great about the SQ of the Pontus was lost in the firmware upgrade!

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #735 of 1,845
I have to say...kudos to the Denafrips company for producing such a great line of DACs. After being a vinyl diehard & resisting music digital for 30 years, this time during COVID was the perfect time to be able to get such good sounding digital music in my system. Yeah, I've heard great sounding digital music before, but the digital components in those systems were all over $10k in cost. The Linn CD12 that cost USD $20,000 in 1999 was a notable example for me.

To get a DAC that sounds like music at a price of $1700 seems just incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back