Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Apr 2, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,471 of 1,807
So far I like this new version with my Pontus, enhanced clarity, resolution, impactful, soundstage feels bigger in all directions, more 3D specially with orchestras... Not as warm as it was before and OS seems to be faster sounding while NOS a bit more relaxed

The fact that we could always roll back makes these DACs the ultimate weapon

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #1,472 of 1,807
I just hope the new improvements do not veer too much to the analytical side and lose the musicality traits that I like about the existing Pontus 2 sound.
Not really analytical at all, it still feels like Pontus 2 but on steroids

Apr 2, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #1,473 of 1,807
If one is buying the PII ‘new’, is this FPGA upgrade already installed from the factory?

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #1,474 of 1,807
If one is buying the PII ‘new’, is this FPGA upgrade already installed from the factory?
Yes. The current Pontus model is the Pontus II 12th which has the latest 12th anniversary FPGA update.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #1,475 of 1,807
So far I like this new version with my Pontus, enhanced clarity, resolution, impactful, soundstage feels bigger in all directions, more 3D specially with orchestras... Not as warm as it was before and OS seems to be faster sounding while NOS a bit more relaxed

The fact that we could always roll back makes these DACs the ultimate weapon

I agree, that is a nice option. But I can’t see myself going back, this update is fantastic.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #1,477 of 1,807
If it contains 3.12 | P22F3.3 it is the newest version if it says 3.12 or 3.14 it doesn't

1680512428828.png

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #1,479 of 1,807
This is my version after upgrade
My apologies, maybe depending on the FPGA chip it will show different versions, in my case the Pontus 2 was shipped after Oct 2020 and has the chip EP4CE22F

Within the folder where the new firmware files are there's a .CFG file containing the new version on its name, mine says PONTUS_P22F3.3.cfg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #1,481 of 1,807
My apologies, maybe depending on the FPGA chip it will show different versions, in my case the Pontus 2 was shipped after Oct 2020 and has the chip EP4CE22F

Within the folder where the new firmware files are there's a .CFG file containing the new version on its name, mine says PONTUS_P22F3.3.cfg
There are differences in the software depending on the time of release.
It will be helpful.

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #1,484 of 1,807
Hi,

this is my first post ever in head-fi. So let's see, when my posting will be approved.

I did the update for my Pontus II yesterday, and as i have been not very competent in identifying differences between DACs in gerneral, id didn't expect very much.

But i was quite wrong.

The Sound Signature changed quite a lot without loosing its trademark qualities.

I would desribe its new sound as a bit more leaning towards an audiophile tuning. Openess, resolution, transparence are improved quite much - you will easily be able to hear this fast with a resolving chain. Soundstage size ist bigger and pinpoint localization ist clearer. Especially how distinct sounds pop out from a blacker background is absolutly fascinating.
In the first minutes I was a bit concerned, if this new signature and better technical skills would be a good match for my chain apart of the Pontus II consisting of a Mjolnir Carbon and Stax SR-X9000, as perceived bass quantity (despite better definition) can be a little less, but today I listened to many different genres like classical music, Jazz, Easy Listening and Electronica and Techno/House. I miss a little bit more deep bass of the old firmware for EDM-Music, but accross the board of different genres the improvements are so clearly discernable, that I highly appreciate the update. I would even say, that Pontus II is now one class above as itself with the old firmware.

So have fun. Take your time to get used to the changes; it may take some time. And don't be afraid of, what I said about bass quantity. I think, it's only perception, more control and definition in the low registers and really not by much. So i wish you as much fun with this update as I have.

I'm looking forward to more impressions :)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #1,485 of 1,807
Hi,

this is my first post ever in head-fi. So let's see, when my posting will be approved.

I did the update for my Pontus II yesterday, and as i have been not very competent in identifying differences between DACs in gerneral, id didn't expect very much.

But i was quite wrong.

The Sound Signature changed quite a lot.

I would desribe its new sound as a bit more leaning towards an audiophile tuning. Openess, resolution, transparence are improved quite much - you will easily be able to hear this fast with a resolving chain. Soundstage size ist bigger and pinpoint localization ist clearer.
In the first minutes I was a bit concerned, if this new signature and better technical skills are a good mach for my chain apart of the Pontus II consting of a Mjolnir Carbon and Stax SR-X9000 would be a good match, as perceived bass quantity (despite better definition) can be a little less, but today I listened to many different genres like classical music, Jazz, Easy Listening and Electronica and Techno/House. I miss a little bit more deep bass of the old firmware for EDM-Music, but accross the board of different genres the improvements are so clearly discernable, that I highly appreciate the update. I would even say, that Pontus II is now one class above as itself with the old firmware.

So have fun. Take your take to get used to the changes; it may take some time. And'd don't be afraid of, what I said about bass quantity. I think, it's only perception, more control and definition in the low registers and really not by much. So i wish you as much fun with this update as I have.

I'm looking forward to more impressions :)
The same in my system, I miss the bass that was before
Will try to go back to previous firmware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back