Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 15, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #886 of 1,807
I've owned an Ares II for over a year and have a Pontus II on the way. I've been using HQPlayer for about a year. I prefer upsampling everything to DSD as well. Some may prefer PCM. The improvement that HQPlayer brings to the table makes it one of the best audio upgrades I've ever made. It has a free trial which I'd encourage people to try. HQPlayer will allow Denafrips owners to use their DACs to full potential as you can upsample and play PCM up to 1536kHz and to DSD1024. It allows one to try various filters and modulators to tailor your sound to accommodate your amp and headphones sonic signature. Switch your DACs in NOS mode and let HQPlayer do the heavy lifting regarding upsampling. (Yes, I've seen GoldenSounds review on Denafrips NOS)

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #887 of 1,807
I think I already know the answer but want to make sure, if I only listen to streamed music then HQPlayer is useless to me?

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #888 of 1,807
HQPlayer works with locally stored music and Qobuz. If you use Roon, HQPlayer can be configured as a Roon Zone and it will allow you to stream Tidal as well.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #889 of 1,807
I think I already know the answer but want to make sure, if I only listen to streamed music then HQPlayer is useless to me?
What @Hoshi said

I would add that if you use Roon and set HQP as a Zone you should leave all DSP turned off in Roon. If you use any EQ or Room Correction, those can be done in HQP so you have a clean signal path and no degradation in SQ. You can have Roon do the first unfold on MQA though.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #890 of 1,807
Well, my Pontus is here. No telling when my amp will show up. Right now I have to go thru USB that outputs to my Matrix Audio mini pro... Because I don't know when my streamer will be released. But hey... At least I'm getting it burned in.

I listened to it at my friend's today with 2 ch. Mine too. Right now, day 1,and now to Utopias... Nothing lights out different to speak of. Sounds a "little" better than my normal Mini I pro 3. We'll see after it gets broke in with my GS-X mini.

20220217_191523.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #891 of 1,807
Well, my Pontus is here. No telling when my amp will show up. Right now I have to go thru USB that outputs to my Matrix Audio mini pro... Because I don't know when my streamer will be released. But hey... At least I'm getting it burned in.

I listened to it at my friend's today with 2 ch. Mine too. Right now, day 1,and now to Utopias... Nothing lights out different to speak of. Sounds a "little" better than my normal Mini I pro 3. We'll see after it gets broke in with my GS-X mini.

20220217_191523.jpg

I hated the way my Pontus sounded right out the gate, Let it run streaming for a week and your GSX mini will sing! Such a good combo, good choices!
Chibs

Feb 18, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #892 of 1,807
I hated the way my Pontus sounded right out the gate, Let it run streaming for a week and your GSX mini will sing! Such a good combo, good choices!
Chibs
Same here, it was instant buyer's remorse right out of the box, I needed 200 solid hours and then I sold the Ares :joy:

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #894 of 1,807
The sound from the Pontus does get better over a long period of time. I liked the sound right away, but the sound quality seemed to gain richness and become more expansive even over 2 months of listening. The upside is that the sound from the Pontus for me sounds as good as the best digital I've heard for only US $1700. Perhaps view the patience needed during the extended break in period as part of the "cost" of potentially getting that level of sound quality for a fraction of what other DACs with similar sound quality might cost. The only downside is that after 2 months, you realize that you don't love the sound quality from the Pontus. But I think you'll be able to get a good sense after 80-100 hours of use as to whether the Pontus is for you.

Just a note that I believe you can run in the DAC even when you don't want any music to be playing, by leaving your amp on but with the volume turned down all the way. I kept my Pontus running that way 24/7 for two weeks straight which represented 336 hours of burn-in over that two week period.

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #895 of 1,807
One other note is that there are ways to get the Pontus to sounds smoother if that is what isn't sounding ideal to you.

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #896 of 1,807
The sound from the Pontus does get better over a long period of time. I liked the sound right away, but the sound quality seemed to gain richness and become more expansive even over 2 months of listening. The upside is that the sound from the Pontus for me sounds as good as the best digital I've heard for only US $1700. Perhaps view the patience needed during the extended break in period as part of the "cost" of potentially getting that level of sound quality for a fraction of what other DACs with similar sound quality might cost. The only downside is that after 2 months, you realize that you don't love the sound quality from the Pontus. But I think you'll be able to get a good sense after 80-100 hours of use as to whether the Pontus is for you.

Just a note that I believe you can run in the DAC even when you don't want any music to be playing, by leaving your amp on but with the volume turned down all the way. I kept my Pontus running that way 24/7 for two weeks straight which represented 336 hours of burn-in over that two week period.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you need the connected amp turned on to be running the DAC (during break in period). From memory, this is what Alvin told me when I asked.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #897 of 1,807
And others have said "if you don't like the sound"... Perfectly normal statement. What is it about R2R that one might not like? In general, what is "the sound"?

Like I said, so far, nothing is "bad"... Bit more detail, smoothness, air, size. Just a bit.

I'm holding judgment though because how I'm running it is so goofy. Crappy USB cable, into Matrix Audio mini-i pro 3 which should be the limiting factor. I am also not positive that analog into the pro 3 isn't digitized again. I know my Naim Atom converts all inputs to digital so I can't bypass that dac. So I2S to pontus then to GSX should be night and day...

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #900 of 1,807
And others have said "if you don't like the sound"... Perfectly normal statement. What is it about R2R that one might not like? In general, what is "the sound"?

Like I said, so far, nothing is "bad"... Bit more detail, smoothness, air, size. Just a bit.

I'm holding judgment though because how I'm running it is so goofy. Crappy USB cable, into Matrix Audio mini-i pro 3 which should be the limiting factor. I am also not positive that analog into the pro 3 isn't digitized again. I know my Naim Atom converts all inputs to digital so I can't bypass that dac. So I2S to pontus then to GSX should be night and day...
Mine sounded like I was listening to AM Radio. I was pissed. After Break-in it was the equivalent of getting a Swedish massage while being fed small expensive chocolates. Not the kind that are obnoxiously sweet, maybe sea salt with caramel. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back