Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #256 of 1,803
They play in different leagues, Ares 2 / BF2 could be a BMW, Pontus II is a Ferrari. Does the same like Ares or BF2 but much better, specially with good gear connected to it.

Recommended yes or yes.
Nice thanks, sounds like a worthy upgrade. Any downsides besides the price? Sometimes upgrades do most things better than the equipment they replaced, but sometimes there are aspects where they give up something to achieve the areas they excel in. Wonder if that applies to the Pontus II.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #257 of 1,803
Nice thanks, sounds like a worthy upgrade. Any downsides besides the price? Sometimes upgrades do most things better than the equipment they replaced, but sometimes there are aspects where they give up something to achieve the areas they excel in. Wonder if that applies to the Pontus II.
In my case I instantly noticed how this DAC is better than D90, X16, Ares 2 and BF2 in every aspect of the music, specially in loaded passages, orchestras and specially, HQ flacs, it shines with HQ music while it sounds exactly the same using lower tier DACs in electronic or music made in PC.... And I haven't finish the burn-in process yet....

I don't see myself going back, I might upgrade the amp in the future but I think the Pontus 2 is the sweet spot for totl headphones or any really good HP

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #258 of 1,803
In my case I instantly noticed how this DAC is better than D90, X16, Ares 2 and BF2 in every aspect of the music, specially in loaded passages, orchestras and specially, HQ flacs, it shines with HQ music while it sounds exactly the same using lower tier DACs in electronic or music made in PC.... And I haven't finish the burn-in process yet....

I don't see myself going back, I might upgrade the amp in the future but I think the Pontus 2 is the sweet spot for totl headphones or any really good HP
Thanks, keep us posted. Much appreciated.

Jun 25, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #259 of 1,803
I also just got the Pontus II delivered today to complete my new setup and so far I'm really enjoying it. Can't wait to see how it is burned in :) Never really used standalone DACs before besides the El DAC from JDS Labs. Otherwise I just used the DAC in stuff like the ifi diablo and wooaudio WA8, so this is a big step up for me.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #260 of 1,803
I also just got the Pontus II delivered today to complete my new setup and so far I'm really enjoying it. Can't wait to see how it is burned in :) Never really used standalone DACs before besides the El DAC from JDS Labs. Otherwise I just used the DAC in stuff like the ifi diablo and wooaudio WA8, so this is a big step up for me.
Looking for your impressions in 2 weeks maybe, you've got a really nice setup :heart_eyes:

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #261 of 1,803
Just a suggestion to also try the Pontus with speakers instead of just with headphones if you can. One of the things that I feel the Pontus does really well is a convey the sense of space in recordings. That might be harder to hear with headphones. The way that the Pontus communicates music in such a natural way (some call this "analog" in sound) has been a real delight for me!

Enjoy!

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #262 of 1,803
My new gear has finally arrived 😀
Didn't have time for listening yet though and looking forward to A-B Singxster SA-1 once it is delivered

Attachments

• 9B106F09-D58D-4533-8870-55616DD50E36.jpeg
    9B106F09-D58D-4533-8870-55616DD50E36.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • ADF620BF-D5F1-4A4B-975A-6E9E1C9E821E.jpeg
    ADF620BF-D5F1-4A4B-975A-6E9E1C9E821E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #264 of 1,803
Sorry for the maybe stupid question but it's my first standalone DAC (besides my W2 dongle 😉).
Will it suffice for burning in to let some digital source play non stop into the DAC without turning on the connected amp?

Jun 25, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #266 of 1,803
Just keep it powered on.
Thx, I know from DAPS that the whole DAC-AMP chain up to headphone out is burned in but wasn't sure for the dedicated DAC

Jun 25, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #267 of 1,803
Thx, I know from DAPS that the whole DAC-AMP chain up to headphone out is burned in but wasn't sure for the dedicated DAC
So how do you like the sound? Denafrips DACs don't have auto standby feature so I keep it on or manually put it under standby while I switch off A90 when not in use. From what I heard the Denafrips DACs are already burned in at factory before being shipped out so I doubt you need additional burn in period. I doubt you will get drastic sound changes with more playing time.

Jun 25, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #268 of 1,803
Just a suggestion to also try the Pontus with speakers instead of just with headphones if you can. One of the things that I feel the Pontus does really well is a convey the sense of space in recordings. That might be harder to hear with headphones. The way that the Pontus communicates music in such a natural way (some call this "analog" in sound) has been a real delight for me!

Enjoy!

I will try that with my speakers right now! :)

Edit: wow this is really, really good. It brings out so much in my speakers I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to listen to my speakers or my susvara! It is such a massive improvement over the El Dac II I was using.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #269 of 1,803
Just read the Pontus II manual and it said not to use the RCA and XLR outputs at the same time and to use either one at a time. Bummer for me, as I plan to use two head amps connected to it. Not a deal breaker but an inconvenience to plug/unplug cables to different head amps when wanting to listen to a certain amp.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #270 of 1,803
So how do you like the sound? Denafrips DACs don't have auto standby feature so I keep it on or manually put it under standby while I switch off A90 when not in use. From what I heard the Denafrips DACs are already burned in at factory before being shipped out so I doubt you need additional burn in period. I doubt you will get drastic sound changes with more playing time.
Hard working week, was falling asleep while listening.
Started with some older recordings and it felt very national but nothing to wow me compared to my TOTL DAPS.
Now listening to some current new Master recording on Tidal on my Trailliis: wow
That's just Immersive with lush natural transients, never harsh but showing layers details, covered in a large panorama.
You also have to consider that for me this is an all new setup:
Streamer, DAC and Amp and I ve been exclusively listening to DAPs only before, so I didn't know what I am expecting.
Need to catch some sleep again to have some power for my 2 year old daughter at the weekend 😉
Will report again...

Attachments

• 40491373-8516-4DE8-BC6A-AE77FE21C4E1.jpeg
    40491373-8516-4DE8-BC6A-AE77FE21C4E1.jpeg
    961.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back