DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Nov 10, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #1,021 of 1,124
I've been away from this thread for a while. I was just wondering if anyone is aware whether Denafrips have any plans for Pontus firmware updates beyond 1.4.

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #1,023 of 1,124
I've been away from this thread for a while. I was just wondering if anyone is aware whether Denafrips have any plans for Pontus firmware updates beyond 1.4.
Nope, neither for Venus (II). I wouldn't know what for anyway, the latest / IMHO greatest sound signature has been implemented, feature-wise there's nothing to add... done. :)

Nov 13, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,024 of 1,124
I applied the TII 3.7 firmware from the original last week. I also use a Hermes DDC from 2021 and use TII clock out. With a small search online for the correct pin out settings again on the DAC and following the disable clock out instructions first on the Hermes I had everything updated in one hour.

I am honestly delighted with the results, a step forward in my pretty neutral system, I don't feel any negatives at all and the system just feels more dimensional, transparent and has great, nimble low end representation.

Thank you for the effort in bringing this to existing owners @alvin1118 - I'm sure a huge effort but it is a great gesture for existing customers

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,026 of 1,124
Hi, I've heard that the latest firmware update supposedly resolves the latency issues that the Ares had. Would anyone be able to confirm this? I'm considering picking up an Ares 12th for usage with my PC, but I'm worried as I would ideally like to use this for watching videos and gaming without having to switch out my DAC.
I used to have a few popping sounds sometimes when a song started when streaming and after the update I haven’t had a one pop 😀 Now I’m not completely sure it was from the Enyo update or the update to the Wiim streamer which was around the same time.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,027 of 1,124
Oh... NOOOOO! Huge dilemma:
Up to recently (like 2 hours ago) I was convinced the OS/slow filter best fits my needs, no matter what and at all times.
... only to discover, that in comparison the NOS option can sound a lot snappier, e.g. with Thomas Dolby's "Dissidents".

On the other hand, OS still sounds wetter / meatier on most tracks, but percussions definitely take a softening "hit" by going OS...

Will try OS/sharp now for a while.

Please don't take the post too seriously... (o:

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #1,028 of 1,124
Oh... NOOOOO! Huge dilemma:
Up to recently (like 2 hours ago) I was convinced the OS/slow filter best fits my needs, no matter what and at all times.
... only to discover, that in comparison the NOS option can sound a lot snappier, e.g. with Thomas Dolby's "Dissidents".

On the other hand, OS still sounds wetter / meatier on most tracks, but percussions definitely take a softening "hit" by going OS...

Will try OS/sharp now for a while.

Please don't take the post too seriously... (o:
It's ok that's life of audiophile. :joy:

Eventually you go back full circle and go back to original setting.

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #1,029 of 1,124
Hah, now that's really striking:
For a while already I noticed that equipment that I really like get's me toe-tapping with Tina Turner's "Proud Mary" on her '93 album "What's Love got to do with it?".
Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-29 um 19.13.56.png

.. as available in 44.1/16 on Qobuz.

This track can be really "meh" and lackluster on many systems. But - if PRAT and what not is there, it is amazing - the 2nd half of the song starts at 2:33.

In my system, OS plays this track distinctly "meh", while NOS has it. I feel tempted to re-visit the older firmware versions... 🙈

== EDIT 1 hour later ==

... on the downside, playing other material makes my ears bleed in NOS. Puzzling.
"Other stuff" including classical music in 192k, as well as a CD rip of Tone Lōc's "Lōc-ed after Dark" in 44.1.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,035 of 1,124
Yeah you're suppose to open it up and take a picture of the chip and send it to Vinshine Audio I think.

Then they'll let you know which firmware you're suppose to use.

So if you did already I'd just wait. Go drink some tea and relax. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back