DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Sep 6, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #991 of 1,124
LOL your da man !
... well.
Honestly I thought in similar ways only 2 years ago... but trying lots of stuff/toys/devices/cables/power cables has made me... shall we say more open-minded? :wink:

Cheers!

Sep 6, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #992 of 1,124
Hans Beekhuyzen is a journalist. I think it's much better focus in people like Floyd Toole (phd electrical engineering). But anyway, not in the mood of the typical cables war in hi-fi forums. I just asked for scientific evidence than sound changes as you change a working hdmi cable for another. If you want to spend 500€ or 2000€ in an hdmi cable thinking it changes sound, your money, your choice.

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #993 of 1,124
Hans Beekhuyzen is a journalist. I think it's much better focus in people like Floyd Toole (phd electrical engineering). But anyway, not in the mood of the typical cables war in hi-fi forums. I just asked for scientific evidence than sound changes as you change a working hdmi cable for another. If you want to spend 500€ or 2000€ in an hdmi cable thinking it changes sound, your money, your choice.
You never demonstrated there is no sound difference !
Where are your demonstration ?

You are making an affirmation that no difference exist, it is than to you to demonstrate your affirmation (this is like science works). Like you do is what is told speudo science.

It is better to focus what we ear which the best test result.

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #995 of 1,124
Optical cable should be digital
Hmmm... well, while the optical cable itself is analog, it does not suffer from EMV problems like electrical cables do.

On the other hand, the light is generated by imperfect diodes, and received by imperfect detectors.

... therefore, same problems (jitter etc) can occur.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #996 of 1,124
Hans Beekhuyzen is a journalist....
... and a quite experienced and honest one, IMHO.
He explains stuff very well and gives scientific (or at least engineering science) based evidence why stuff he/we hear is actually a thing.

your money, your choice.
Rest assured that I would rather not have spent the €€€€ on cable, but at least in my house with my AC power with my devices they DO make difference.
I try before I buy in most cases, so I am not in the position having to defend the expenses against myself. ;-p

BTW, you chose a very fine DAC.
... in the end, it plays the same music a lower tier DAC would do - why did you choose the Terminator?

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #997 of 1,124
Hanz has almost zero scientific based evidence in his reviews. it’s 99% subjective talking. Nice talking I agree. But none scientific evidence In general. He says “darker background” with not a single measurement, just his ears. That is no scientific evidence at all.

BTW, you chose a very fine DAC.
... in the end, it plays the same music a lower tier DAC would do - why did you choose the Terminator?
I’ve had almost all denafrips DACs. Ares II, pontus, Venus II and terminator plus. I had at the same time both venus II and T+ and it was absolutly imposible to find any difference in them, no way. But I love how they build their DACs and for me it was a privilege to own the flagship so I decided to keep the T+. Alvin offered me a good deal for my demo unit and I sold my venus II. Being an audiophile is not only looking for sound. There are many things to care apart from sound quality. Just my opinion :)

Sep 6, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #998 of 1,124
I like most of what Hanz says. I believe he is genuine and reports what he hears. Like Hanz I listen with my ears, not measurements.

I had a Terminator then Terminator with upgraded DSP board then Terminator Plus with and without an Iris DDC. For me there was an easily perceived difference (improvement) with each DAC change and then again adding the Iris to the TP and then again adding the clock out to the Iris until the last firmware update 3.7 then I felt the USB was better than I2S from the DDC.

Along the way I tried various HDMI cables and found the more $$ I spent the more I liked the HDMI cable.

Sep 6, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #999 of 1,124
Hanz has almost zero scientific based evidence in his reviews. it’s 99% subjective talking. Nice talking I agree. But none scientific evidence In general. He says “darker background” with not a single measurement, just his ears. That is no scientific evidence at all.

I’ve had almost all denafrips DACs. Ares II, pontus, Venus II and terminator plus. I had at the same time both venus II and T+ and it was absolutly imposible to find any difference in them, no way. But I love how they build their DACs and for me it was a privilege to own the flagship so I decided to keep the T+. Alvin offered me a good deal for my demo unit and I sold my venus II. Being an audiophile is not only looking for sound. There are many things to care apart from sound quality. Just my opinion :)
I've owned every Denafrips DAC up the line and heard a clear difference between all of them. If I heard 0 difference at a certain point, I'd sell whatever unnecessary gear existed in the chain and settle for equipment that'd save money.

Sep 6, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #1,000 of 1,124

Sounds like you`re hearing is suspect, wax removal maybe?

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #1,001 of 1,124
... well.
Honestly I thought in similar ways only 2 years ago... but trying lots of stuff/toys/devices/cables/power cables has made me... shall we say more open-minded? :wink:

Cheers!
I was being sarcastic,…

Sep 7, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #1,002 of 1,124
Quick update for Pontus 2:
1.4 for active-speakers is simply great, soundstage improved and opens up, bass is tight and impactful and more enjoyable than 1.0 or 1.3
1.0 OG for headphones like D8KP is by far the best sounding, very organic, no bright at all and invites you to keep listening any music you throw at it

It takes 1 minute to change the firmware and if anything goes wrong my Blaster from Amazon is ready to serve haha

Sep 7, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,003 of 1,124
Hi, I've heard that the latest firmware update supposedly resolves the latency issues that the Ares had. Would anyone be able to confirm this? I'm considering picking up an Ares 12th for usage with my PC, but I'm worried as I would ideally like to use this for watching videos and gaming without having to switch out my DAC.

Sep 19, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #1,005 of 1,124
I've owned every Denafrips DAC up the line and heard a clear difference between all of them. If I heard 0 difference at a certain point, I'd sell whatever unnecessary gear existed in the chain and settle for equipment that'd save money.
Same here except I started with Ares, Ares II, Pontus II, and jumped from Pontus to T-Plus. I could tell difference (improvements) clearly during each upgrade... BTW, the latest Iris DDC 12th is also head and shoulder above my older (2021) Iris, not to mention it is compatible with T-Plus running firmware V3.7 (older version had issues with I2S connection after firmware update).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back