DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jul 29, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #932 of 1,124
Holy Moly. That new May release (V3.5 for Venus) sounds very, very promising - even after less than 20 hours burn-in. Thanks already now to the Denafrips team! A big thumbs up :thumbsup:
=== some hours later... ===
This is it. Big knock-out. No more whishing back the OG / 1.0 sound signature -- simply stunning, this latest version V3.5. Can't stop drooling...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #933 of 1,124
Any July/August firmware update for the good ole Pontus 2/12th?

Jul 29, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #934 of 1,124
Any July/August firmware update for the good ole Pontus 2/12th?
Nope, Pontus got the Update first (already in May, called V1.4 for Pontus), Venus is late to the party. Venus V3.5 is probably Pontus V1.4 .

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-29 um 16.52.12.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-29 um 16.52.12.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #935 of 1,124
I decided to stop burn in of the new firmware as I heard good improvement in overall. Just reflash back v1.0 for 10 mins … and decided returning back to v3.7.
Thanks for all the v1.0 & v3.7 advises from this group.
For now I will just normal play with v3.7. May be after a month I only try back v1.0.
For my system, after 150hrs burn in, v3.7 SQ had noticeable improved. Most important the sound has observe more musical, treble less harsh, and overall more detail.
To me the 1.8 fw for the Ares 12th was a slam dunk difference. Better top and lower end while the mid held its own. 1.0 is nostalgic since it was a far cry better than no DAC but it had less clarity and a muddier sound after many hours. Viva la difference!

Jul 29, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #936 of 1,124
To me the 1.8 fw for the Ares 12th was a slam dunk difference. Better top and lower end while the mid held its own. 1.0 is nostalgic since it was a far cry better than no DAC but it had less clarity and a muddier sound after many hours. Viva la difference!
I have the ares 2 and agree the sound is much better with the 1.3 firmware. The best part is it totally fixed the skipping issue that 1.0 and 1.2 had. Between changing tubes and a better ethernet cable, the sound quality improvement has my singing out loud with my favorite songs. Sadly my spouse and dog are not too happy lol.

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #938 of 1,124
Holy Moly. That new May release (V3.5 for Venus) sounds very, very promising - even after less than 20 hours burn-in. Thanks already now to the Denafrips team! A big thumbs up :thumbsup:
=== some hours later... ===
This is it. Big knock-out. No more whishing back the OG / 1.0 sound signature -- simply stunning, this latest version V3.5. Can't stop drooling...
Hello,
are you on a beta version? I did not get any info for the v3 update?I checked Vinshines page and no mention?

Regards,
Jeff

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #939 of 1,124
Hello,
are you on a beta version? I did not get any info for the v3 update?I checked Vinshines page and no mention?

Regards,
Jeff
Actually forget it. I just updated to 3.5. Looking forward to testing after I put 100+ hours on it. I am using my Venus 2 with a new Iris 12th anniversary model. After update i2s worked perfect!

Regards,
Jeff

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #940 of 1,124
... I just updated to 3.5. Looking forward to testing after I put 100+ hours on it. I am using my Venus 2 with a new Iris 12th anniversary model. After update i2s worked perfect!
Hi Jeff, glad you found the firmware on the official download page.
One question: what streamer so you use? I use an Auralic Aries, connected via USB to the Venus. Can't stop wondering what a DDC might do....

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #941 of 1,124
Hello Medon,
I am using a Matrix Element S’s USB out to the iris, and the Iris I2s out to the Venus 2. Definitely improved the sound. More space in the sounds width and depth. More space between the instruments. I tried the first update v 3.3 and did not love it so I moved back to V 1. I am hoping 3.5 is the best of both worlds.

Regards
Jeff

Aug 1, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #942 of 1,124
Hello Medon,
I am using a Matrix Element S’s USB out to the iris, and the Iris I2s out to the Venus 2. Definitely improved the sound....
Dang... just pulled the trigger on a Gaia. 🙈
... not sure what to hope for. My gut feeling tells me the improvements will be minute, but I'm ready for surprises - either way.

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #943 of 1,124
Dang... just pulled the trigger on a Gaia. 🙈
... not sure what to hope for. My gut feeling tells me the improvements will be minute, but I'm ready for surprises - either way.
I currently use the Gaia with the Terminator +. A few people advised me against it, only because the Hermes provides the same sonic benefit in the context of pairing with the T+. I'm spoiled and wanted the black aluminum housing to match the rack and other components on it. I personally heard an improvement immediately. Micro detail, soundstage depth, texture, etc... Sandu from SoundNews mentions this in his T+ review.

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/...lus-r-2r-dac-gaia-ddc-review-born-to-be-wild/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back