DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jul 6, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #811 of 1,124
Looks like the Ares 2 firmware for my model is not 1.8 but instead is
v1.3 (July 06, 2023)
-----------------------------------------------------
* Reduce sampling rate change/switching noise with certain transport/streamer
* Fine-tune the sound quality in the mid-range and lower octave of the bass, to achieve a balanced, organic, analog-like sound signature that is characteristic of Denafrips

Going install it tomorrow so will add impressions in a few days.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #814 of 1,124
OK, thanks for the clarification. I'll stick to my original firmware V1.0 (TPlus) then, it sounded better than the V3.7 in my system.

Strange, in my system v3.7 is night and days compared to original firmware ! (so much above since it fully opened after burn-in, I do comparaison using tracks on my server I2S connect to the DAC - not through network which is below in soundstage and details) may be something into your system may change or impact the sound :rolling_eyes:
I hope everyone could get the best firmware to much each system :wink:

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #815 of 1,124
Just got a confirmation from Vinshine support team that Ares fw V1.8 is equivalent to T-Plus V3.7, they will release the same for Pontus and Venus soon.
This is almost funny. I have the original Aries II and upgraded it to 1.6 when that came out. I enjoy that so much I am afraid to even try 1.8 in case something goes wrong. Honestly I find the 1.6 version on my Ares II such an improvement I am not sure I want to upgrade to 1.8. I am a compulsive guy so I will probably try that at some point. I can't really see there is much room for improvement. Maybe 1.6 just hits all my personal likes.

Jul 7, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #816 of 1,124
OK, thanks for the clarification. I'll stick to my original firmware V1.0 (TPlus) then, it sounded better than the V3.7 in my system.
I hope they will realease an update of v3.7 to address the I2S issue only and no sound change :D

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #817 of 1,124
... I am afraid to even try 1.8 in case something goes wrong.
I lost the fear of bricking my DAC now - think I flashed it more than 20 times now. Back and forth...
Using a 12 years old Dell Laptop. :wink:

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #818 of 1,124
do you need to put it back into unsigned driver mode each time you flash the firmware or once you have installed the configuration driver can you flash the firmware from the standard windows?

Jul 7, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #819 of 1,124
do you need to put it back into unsigned driver mode each time you flash the firmware or once you have installed the configuration driver can you flash the firmware from the standard windows?
I put it in unsigned driver mode each time. I am using windows 11. I find that windows 11 has so many safe guards built in that bypassing them all is not so easy. Your system may vary.

Jul 7, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #820 of 1,124
On my old Dell there's Win10, I installed the needed driver only one time in "security override mode", that's it.
Now, as soon as I put the Venus II into service mode (press "mode" button when in standby), Win10 recognizes the flashable device and I can flash.
Zero hassle now.

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #822 of 1,124
Strange, in my system v3.7 is night and days compared to original firmware ! (so much above since it fully opened after burn-in, I do comparaison using tracks on my server I2S connect to the DAC - not through network which is below in soundstage and details) may be something into your system may change or impact the sound :rolling_eyes:
I hope everyone could get the best firmware to much each system :wink:
Yes, there is more than just fw change in my case. I had to bypass DDC and I2S connection, use direct USB connection from streamer (Melco N1z) to T-Plus. I also hope they could fix the DDC/I2S issue so I can try V3.7 without having to change connection.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #823 of 1,124
What will be the difference from the previous FW for Pontus.
in general, the FW 1.4 was almost good
My apologies, I checked again, they only mentioned Venus, not Pontus. Here is the original email message from Vinshine about V1.8:

"Good day to you.
Yes, sir, the forthcoming firmware update for the Ares II will feature the identical enhancements found in the current Terminator Plus firmware V3.7 release.
We will tentatively release the same update for the Venus DAC soon."

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #824 of 1,124
My apologies, I checked again, they only mentioned Venus, not Pontus.
We will tentatively release the same update for the Venus DAC soon."
... for Venus there has been only one new sound signature so far - V3.3 .
So now it is updated to the goldilocks sound signature, which is the last/latest update for Ares / Pontus I assume.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #825 of 1,124
I've found that the installation of the unsigned driver was only required the once, and after that I can easily connect my Win11 laptop to my Pontus 12th. That special mode is only required for initial driver installation.

The only thing I do differently for a firmware flash is to log on as my admin user. It's very good advice not to use an admin user for normal activities.

Saying that, despite a lengthy audition of v1.4, I always return to v1.0.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back