DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jul 5, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #796 of 1,124
Just received notice the new ares 2 firmware will be out later this week.

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #798 of 1,124
Just received notice the new ares 2 firmware will be out later this week.
New firmware is out v1.8
* Reduce sampling rate change/switching noise with certain transport/streamer
* Fine-tune the sound quality in the mid-range and lower octave of the bass, to achieve a balanced, organic, analog-like sound signature that is characteristic of Denafrips
, check your download link.:L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #799 of 1,124
New firmware is out v1.8
* Fine-tune the sound quality in the mid-range and lower octave of the bass, to achieve a balanced, organic, analog-like sound signature that is characteristic of Denafrips
Thanks for the info. Fixing the issue with switching noise is great. But changing sound quality is so subjective and system dependent, now we have 3 new versions already in a short period of time, how many future changes are we expecting??

Jul 6, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #800 of 1,124
Thanks for the info. Fixing the issue with switching noise is great. But changing sound quality is so subjective and system dependent, now we have 3 new versions already in a short period of time, how many future changes are we expecting??
My device has 2 versions one original and one 12th edition that had a skipping problem so a fix was in order, although I really like the sound of the original better. Well see on this new firmware, hopping for the best. This is only for the Ares2/enyo btw.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #801 of 1,124
OK I know it's a little early for a preliminary report after just flashing v1.8 a few hours ago, but it seems Denafrips have outdone themselves on this version. The sound signature on my reference recording's is spot on and an improvement in every way over the first two versions 1.0 and 1.6 in my system. Endorfin overload, toe tapping fun. Thanks to all involved at Denafrips and a special thanks goes out to Alvin and his team.

Jul 6, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #806 of 1,124
New firmware is out v1.8

Well, Denafrips never told to provide "analog sound" but "real and natural sound" and this is what I'm waiting for ! (did they change they target from providing real and antural sound ?)
I told them to provide a firmware with only bug correction and a second with updated sound which seems to me to be raisonnable (Like this, every one could have the best) but I don't know why they always have to modify sound for bug corrections ....

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #807 of 1,124
Well, Denafrips never told to provide "analog sound" but "real and natural sound" and this is what I'm waiting for ! (did they change they target from providing real and antural sound ?)
I told them to provide a firmware with only bug correction and a second with updated sound which seems to me to be raisonnable (Like this, every one could have the best) but I don't know why they always have to modify sound for bug corrections ....
Any change you make ie: sampling rate, buffer over/under run, ect to the firmware has a change on the sound, so what you are asking for is the magic you and I found in the original firmware and I can safely say on my 50k+ reference rig they have hit the nail on the head with this version. You can try for yourself.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #809 of 1,124
I guess they are releasing V1.8 equivalent for other models (e.g. Pontus, Venus and Terminator ) soon? Would be happy to try...
Other than bug fixes I believe all devices have their final sound signature. Us Ares ll owners were the first to get an upgrade and I believe the last to get a final fix. All that is left is to get the DDC`s for some operational but I could be wrong, you can shout out to Vinshine and see.

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #810 of 1,124
Other than bug fixes I believe all devices have their final sound signature. Us Ares ll owners were the first to get an upgrade and I believe the last to get a final fix. All that is left is to get the DDC`s for some operational but I could be wrong, you can shout out to Vinshine and see.
OK, thanks for the clarification. I'll stick to my original firmware V1.0 (TPlus) then, it sounded better than the V3.7 in my system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back