DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jul 1, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #782 of 1,124
... your description matches my experience 99%. :wink: When switching from the original firmware to V3.3 in May on my Venus II the loss in midrange heft turned me off.
BUT: after giving it some more time, the new version really got better and better in my ears.
I am actually not so sure any more that the new version is really lacking something (midrange), simply because it adds to the lower end (bass and kick) and top end (clarity and details) it only might seem the midrage decreased. I stick with the new V3.3 now and of course will - again - to a happy A/B/C when the July version comes in.
Cheers!
... jeez.
I think I will have to eat my words - I am listening to the new Goldfrapp album right now ("The Love Invention"). So purely electronic music.
The difference between the old firmware (V3.1) and the new firmware (V3.3) is staggering.

With the old firmware, there is SO much more going on. Sound stage is much wider and deeper, mids indeed much richer. Little details come through much better.

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #783 of 1,124
The sound out of my Terminator II with 3.7 was better than original firmware (this for all aspect of the sound, soundstage) and having more than 200h now (didn't count time after it passed 200h)...
But suddently, during these days, in less than 2 days ! big change in the soundstage and overall quality. It is like a door opens and how wondefull the sound is now (3D increased in depth, emotion etc.... I was listing a real concert and back from it, I put on system and the only change was the room size while piano, violin etc.... all instrument have exacly the same sound and rich details, all frequencies are exactly the same level, a litle less basses (normal, small room size...).
I hope denafrips could resolve the I2S bug not detecting first timle DSD signal is present after PCM out of my Metronome DSS (not only DDC have issue on I2S - could it be due latency too short on I2S ?)

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #784 of 1,124
With the old firmware, there is SO much more going on. Sound stage is much wider and deeper, mids indeed much richer. Little details come through much better
Do I understand correctly that you prefer the old firmware 1.0 because it has a bigger scene and better detail and better mids? Interesting, because what you write, you can rather read in people describing the latest firmware 1.3 and 1.4. I personally have 1.4 but I'm getting ready to go back to 1.0 because of the greater musicalité.
Pontus owner.

Jul 2, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #785 of 1,124
Do I understand correctly that you prefer the old firmware 1.0 because it has a bigger scene and better detail and better mids? Interesting, because what you write, you can rather read in people describing the latest firmware 1.3 and 1.4. I personally have 1.4 but I'm getting ready to go back to 1.0 because of the greater musicalité.
Pontus owner.
When I read that people described the new firmware as "bigger soundstage" I was puzzled.
What I do compare on the Venus II is the March '23 version (new firmware) labeled v3.3 versus the original firmware which is v3.1 in my case. The v3.1 has a time stamp of 11/2022 for the binaries.

The old old version v1.0 does not memorize the NOS setting on the Venus II, so after filing this as a "bug report" I got the v3.1 by Vinshine.

I assume (did not verify though) that the sound signature of v1.0 equal that of v3.1 .

The latest v3.3 has more treble detail and more bass definition / kick, but misses out on mid texture and spatial cues, compared to v3.1 .

Cheers!
Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-02 um 19.44.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-02 um 19.37.52.png

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #786 of 1,124
When I read that people described the new firmware as "bigger soundstage" I was puzzled.
What I do compare on the Venus II is the March '23 version (new firmware) labeled v3.3 versus the original firmware which is v3.1 in my case. The v3.1 has a time stamp of 11/2022 for the binaries.

The old old version v1.0 does not memorize the NOS setting on the Venus II, so after filing this as a "bug report" I got the v3.1 by Vinshine.

I assume (did not verify though) that the sound signature of v1.0 equal that of v3.1 .

The latest v3.3 has more treble detail and more bass definition / kick, but misses out on mid texture and spatial cues, compared to v3.1 .

Cheers!Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-02 um 19.44.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-02 um 19.37.52.png

Was v3.1 an official firmware upgrade for all venus DAC ? (it seems to me that this is the first time Denafrips does a global firmware upgrade)
Did you run special audio test tracks to adjust your system after upgrade ?
Did you compare PCM or DSD or both audio encoding type between firmware ?
Has your system a neutral sound for each element ? (some prefer colored sound or use colored elements to correct sound of other element)
Are your cables plugged in the right way (text on cable should be read from source to destination) ?

On the Terminator II, with the v3.7 firmware (existing are V1.0, V3.6 and V3.7 - never tried v3.6 which was based on v1.3 pontus like I understood), the win in quality is at a level it never was before (I would compare it to the some new metronome DAC above 20000€ I could hear)
About Venus upgrade and like I understand is that your firmware v3.3 includes phase correction which aren't corrected into v3.1 (right ?) and this always will improve localisation and soundstage (bigger 3D) except if HP's are out of phase ! (I used special test tracks to adjust my system for phase etc...)
I compared DSF64 (I only have this quality level / SACD) with PCM tracks (CD up to 24bits 192k) and despite DSD has it quality increased too, PCM sound is now clearly the winner with the biggest quality increase (Denafrips sound was always told been Real and Natural and this is the case).

Jul 3, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #787 of 1,124
Was v3.1 an official firmware upgrade for all venus DAC ? (it seems to me that this is the first time Denafrips does a global firmware upgrade)
I got v3.1 on request: the v1.0 from 2020 doesn't remember the NOS setting.
My Venus II is from 2022 - and in its factory state it did remember the NOS setting.
So I assume the v3.1 is kind of the factory firmware I got when I purchased the DAC in 2022.

Did you run special audio test tracks to adjust your system after upgrade ?
Nope.
Did you compare PCM or DSD or both audio encoding type between firmware ?
Only PCM, I listen to Qobuz 99% of the time and then some CD rips.
Has your system a neutral sound for each element ? (some prefer colored sound or use colored elements to correct sound of other element)
Are your cables plugged in the right way (text on cable should be read from source to destination) ?
Ahhh, yes.
Not sure though why that's important for differences in sound signature between firmware versions...

Jul 3, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #788 of 1,124
I got v3.1 on request: the v1.0 from 2020 doesn't remember the NOS setting.
My Venus II is from 2022 - and in its factory state it did remember the NOS setting.
So I assume the v3.1 is kind of the factory firmware I got when I purchased the DAC in 2022.

Nope.

Only PCM, I listen to Qobuz 99% of the time and then some CD rips.

Ahhh, yes.
Not sure though why that's important for differences in sound signature between firmware versions...

More details, clarity means that good sound is better while any small default may be easier to hear !

Jul 3, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #789 of 1,124
Finally updated the FPGA on my T+. The instructions were pretty straight forward. I did have to re-sync the clocks between the Gaia and Terminator, plus the i2s pinout changed from 000 -> 111. Found out the hard way after starting a test track and all I heard was snap, crackle, pop. Luckily the volume was set fairly low.

I've been listening for the better part of today, rotating between the Abyss AB1266 and LCD-5 mainly. What Denafrips have done here is quite stunning. There's a general improvement everywhere you listen. A few days before updating I threw Pollen by Tennis on & found it an enjoyable/lighthearted listen. The arrangements are airy and it's easy to hear the passion in the songwriting between Alaina and Pat.

Right after updating I listened to Hotel Valet and could tell immediatly the background was darker. Vocal trails held out just a little bit longer, Alaina's voice in some instances was like smoke settling onto a flat surface. The blacker background seems to be allowing more room for micro details and texture to breathe. The first track on Swimmer ''I'll Haunt You'' starts off with piano and it's the first time I realized it's actually a keyboard and Alaina's fingers touching the plastic keys are clearly audible.

Went 180 degrees and listened to some 72 Seasons by Metallica next. With the new update is almost sounded muddy before. Bass control is definitely improved and noticeable on every genre I've listened to so far. It makes a nice difference with busier tracks like Lux Eterna, Screaming Suicide & the title track. The clearer, tighter bass gives the album more drive and sounds more engaging. Switched to the LCD-5 and MAN is the texture noticeable in the guitars, it's almost impossible not to make a face when James and Kirk and chugging along.

Darker background, clearer imaging, improved micro details & texture. And free of charge? Can't complain.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #790 of 1,124
Finally updated the FPGA on my T+. Instructions were pretty straight forward. I did have to re-sync the clocks between the Gaia and Terminator, plus the i2s pinout changed from 000 -> 111. Found out the hard way after starting a test track and all I heard was snap, crackle, pop. Luckily the volume was set fairly low.

I've been listening for the better part of today, rotating between the Abyss AB1266 and LCD-5 mainly. What Denafrips have done here is quite stunning. There's a general improvement everywhere you listen. A few days before updating I threw Pollen by Tennis on & found it an enjoyable/lighthearted listen. The arrangements are airy and it's easy to hear the passion in the songwriting between Alaina and Pat.

Right after updating I listened to Hotel Valet and could tell immediatly the background was darker. Vocal trails held out just a little bit longer, Alaina's voice in some instances was like smoke settling onto a flat surface. The blacker background seems to be allowing more room for micro details and texture to breathe. The first track on Swimmer ''I'll Haunt You'' starts off with piano and it's the first time I realized it's actually a keyboard and Alaina's fingers touching the plastic keys are clearly audible.

Went 180 degrees and listened to some 72 Seasons by Metallica next. With the new update is almost sounded muddy before. Bass control is definitely improved and noticeable on every genre I've listened to so far. It makes a nice difference with busier tracks like Lux Eterna, Screaming Suicide & the title track. The clearer, tighter bass gives the album more drive and sounds more engaging. Switched to the LCD-5 and MAN is the texture noticeable in the guitars, it's almost impossible not to make a face when James and Kirk and chugging along.

Darker background, clearer imaging, improved micro details & texture. And free of charge? Can't complain.
Glad to hear you enjoy the update. Did you try playing both DSD and FLAC files? Some of the older DDCs (e.g. mine) are not compatible with the new fpga firmware so no any I2S setting is good for both PCM and DSD playback... Denafrips is still working on a fix.

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #791 of 1,124
Glad to hear you enjoy the update. Did you try playing both DSD and FLAC files? Some of the older DDCs (e.g. mine) are not compatible with the new fpga firmware so no any I2S setting is good for both PCM and DSD playback... Denafrips is still working on a fix.

Hi!

I2S issue on DSD not only exists between DDC and DAC, I have a Streamer Metronome DSS and when switching from PCM to DSD, DSD is not selected, I have to power off/on the dac to have it working (only on first DSD of a DSD list but if a list has mixed PCM/DSD, pb occurs at each PCM to DSD switch. It also occurs after streamer power on + dac power on and try to play as first trac, a dsd track .... I would suggest you to give a try, play a DSD track and left it play, power off/on the DAC and check if it will play (DSD led should go on)

Jul 4, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #793 of 1,124
Jul 5, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #795 of 1,124
For 2 days my Pontus 2 plays again on the original FW. It's musically and more analog than on FW 1.4 And what did I do to still have precision, accuracy and a great stage? Look what I have. This compensates me for the shortcomings of the new FW. But I still have the sound I like. And this is a bull's-eye for me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230705_234727.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705_234727.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back