DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jun 25, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #766 of 1,124
... it is really interesting to read that most people make the same experience after updating to the new firmware, no matter the level / tier of DAC they have.
I am with the new version now, I don't want to miss these details any more.
Indeed, I've been noticing this trend as well. Anecdotally, it seems like half of us enjoy the refined updates, and half wish to revert back to the original richness.
If only there was a practical method to test listen all of Denafrip's DAC tiers, with both the original and updated firmware, and see just how much overlap there really is. I no longer have any desire to upgrade, as more clarity from my Ares II would prove too bright. The bottleneck now is my speakers and listening space. I suspect much of the preference relates to overall system synergy.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #767 of 1,124
Hello all,
I updated my Venus 2 with the new FPGA firmware ran it for about 70 hours. I listened to Qobuz on Sunday.
in my system the highs were way to pushed, and the Bottom end was pushed as well. I felt when listening to horn sections the air and space were sucked out of the original sound? I went back to the original V 1 and the sound was So much better. The depth was back and the horns sounded like horns again. I know Alvin said that a new vs is coming out next month, but I have to say I don’t know why I would want to change the Original sound Again?

Regards,
Jeff

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #768 of 1,124
Hello all,
I updated my Venus 2 with the new FPGA firmware ran it for about 70 hours. I listened to Qobuz on Sunday.
in my system the highs were way to pushed, and the Bottom end was pushed as well. I felt when listening to horn sections the air and space were sucked out of the original sound? I went back to the original V 1 and the sound was So much better. The depth was back and the horns sounded like horns again. I know Alvin said that a new vs is coming out next month, but I have to say I don’t know why I would want to change the Original sound Again?

Regards,
Jeff
70 hours (no enough, it just start to change.... have it run above 200h. Because it is more detailed, good audio quality including good internet cables may sound better than before but in case of some parts aren't realy clean, sound could be worse due default aren't masked)

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #769 of 1,124
Hello REMD,
I have all high end cables including power, interconnects, and digital cables, I am streaming via a Matrix Element S streamer. You may perceive better details with increased high end but with that increase you lose all the mid frequencies. Anyway to each his own. I am extremely happy with the original sound.

Regards
Jeff

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #770 of 1,124
Hello REMD,
I have all high end cables including power, interconnects, and digital cables, I am streaming via a Matrix Element S streamer. You may perceive better details with increased high end but with that increase you lose all the mid frequencies. Anyway to each his own. I am extremely happy with the original sound.

Regards
Jeff
If you are happy with original sound, than its good for you and change nothing :D (as soon the sound is the one each love, the system is than what you need)

In my case (on Terminator II), mid-frequencies are better too and with more body making it more real and more emotion out of the music.
here, high frequencies are at a correct level and nearly same as before but with more details (I did a comparaison with a very high end accuphase dac, the high frequencies are at same level but I prefer denafrips)

About high end cables, I had some high end cables which provided to much high frequencies while other high end cables are realy neutral I have now.
This is why I spoke about other elements into the chain...

Rem: Matrix Element S is a very good streamer at its price but like many, it isn't realy neutral (streamer is very important and the sound changes like changing DAC or firmware)

regards
Have fun

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #771 of 1,124
Hello all,

Regards,
Jeff
Hmmm strange I’m not over familiar with Denafrips line of components however i just recently took delivery of a Venus 2-12 , I find horn sections rendered beautifully , I’m assuming my Venus was shipped with the current firmware I just find your descriptions the complete opposite , Im not doubting you I just find this strange ,

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #772 of 1,124
Hmmm strange I’m not over familiar with Denafrips line of components however i just recently took delivery of a Venus 2-12 , I find horn sections rendered beautifully , I’m assuming my Venus was shipped with the current firmware I just find your descriptions the complete opposite , Im not doubting you I just find this strange ,
Hello,
I believe the reason they are releasing a new version of the firmware in July (2nd version), is that when they sent out there updates they were based on the firmware that was included in the 12th Anniversary not considering the changes in the New model. The new 12th has different parts not included in the normal Venus 2. So you are experiencing the latest firmware with upgraded hardware. Alvin has confirmed the reasoning for the 2nd line of upgrades. I hope this makes sense? There is no need for 12th anniversary owners to download this update.

Regards,
Jeff

Jun 28, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #773 of 1,124
Hello,
I believe the reason they are releasing a new version of the firmware in July (2nd version), is that when they sent out there updates they were based on the firmware that was included in the 12th Anniversary not considering the changes in the New model. The new 12th has different parts not included in the normal Venus 2. So you are experiencing the latest firmware with upgraded hardware. Alvin has confirmed the reasoning for the 2nd line of upgrades. I hope this makes sense? There is no need for 12th anniversary owners to download this update.

Regards,
Jeff

With the new firmware is there going be new versions for all devices? I’m wondering if any word on new firmware for the Ares 2?

Jun 28, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #774 of 1,124
in my system the highs were way to pushed, and the Bottom end was pushed as well. I felt when listening to horn sections the air and space were sucked out of the original sound? I went back to the original V 1 and the sound was So much better....
... your description matches my experience 99%. :wink: When switching from the original firmware to V3.3 in May on my Venus II the loss in midrange heft turned me off.
BUT: after giving it some more time, the new version really got better and better in my ears.
I am actually not so sure any more that the new version is really lacking something (midrange), simply because it adds to the lower end (bass and kick) and top end (clarity and details) it only might seem the midrage decreased. I stick with the new V3.3 now and of course will - again - to a happy A/B/C when the July version comes in.
Cheers!

Jun 28, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #775 of 1,124
Hello,

Regards,
Jeff
Jeff I wouldn’t imagine the 12th anniversary would be that much of a jump in performance over the version 2 I find it curious my Venus fresh out of the box performed quite well then others like yourself experience such a gap with performance then we have Medons comments above I just find it strange perhaps Alvin can explain this .

Jun 28, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #776 of 1,124
... your description matches my experience 99%. :wink: When switching from the original firmware to V3.3 in May on my Venus II the loss in midrange heft turned me off.
BUT: after giving it some more time, the new version really got better and better in my ears.
I am actually not so sure any more that the new version is really lacking something (midrange), simply because it adds to the lower end (bass and kick) and top end (clarity and details) it only might seem the midrage decreased. I stick with the new V3.3 now and of course will - again - to a happy A/B/C when the July version comes in.
Cheers!
Same here, 99% matching as well hahaha :) Seriously, for my T-Plus, I didn't like the updated version at all at the beginning, but after 500 hours or so, I am not so sure, the added detail and texture in sound are very nice too. Don't know if it is due to burning in or my ears getting used to the sound :) :)

Jun 28, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #778 of 1,124
I'm up to about 400 hours on the new firmware for my T2 + Gaia and just checked NOS vs. OS/Sharp. I'd always preferred NOS but recently, based on this thread, tried OS/Sharp and liked it. Just went back to NOS and while the differences now seem pretty small I think I'm going to stick to NOS. The biggest difference was the sound stage was bigger, although a little diffuse compared to OS which smaller but a little better defined. Stuff like detail and frequency extension were pretty much the same. Regardless, I remain happy with the new firmware and have no interest in going back.

Jun 28, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #779 of 1,124
I'm up to about 400 hours on the new firmware for my T2 + Gaia and just checked NOS vs. OS/Sharp. I'd always preferred NOS but recently, based on this thread, tried OS/Sharp and liked it. Just went back to NOS and while the differences now seem pretty small I think I'm going to stick to NOS. The biggest difference was the sound stage was bigger, although a little diffuse compared to OS which smaller but a little better defined. Stuff like detail and frequency extension were pretty much the same. Regardless, I remain happy with the new firmware and have no interest in going back.
That's what I experienced as well, NOS is more musical, bigger but a bit diffused soundstage, not as refined as OS/Sharp... I have to use USB connection to bypass DDC/I2S for the new firmware as I am still waiting for Denafrips to fix the compatibility issue between my Iris DDC/I2S output and T-Plus...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back