DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jun 19, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #751 of 1,124
Nice write up. For many of us 48 hours (or more) of burnin reduced the high end brightness and sweetened up the sound a little relative to what it was immediately after the upgrade. I'd also encourage you to check out the other filter options (OS/Sharp and NOS) if you haven't already. You may find your preference has changed...or maybe not :L3000:.
I have mixed feelings about NOS. It does tame the highs a bit, but also adds some veiling too. OS sounds more real, which I dig.

Someone on reddit told me Denafrips is planning on releasing a 3rd firmware update to the Ares in the same vein as the Pontus II to help capture the best of both worlds. Can't confirm, but obviously quite interested if true.

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #752 of 1,124
I have mixed feelings about NOS. It does tame the highs a bit, but also adds some veiling too. OS sounds more real, which I dig.

Someone on reddit told me Denafrips is planning on releasing a 3rd firmware update to the Ares in the same vein as the Pontus II to help capture the best of both worlds. Can't confirm, but obviously quite interested if true.
That is true, It will be out at the end of June.👌

Jun 21, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #755 of 1,124
Well, I have never heard my stereo like I just did after the Ares II upgrade. Imaging like I haven't seen/heard, 3d objects drifting around between the speakers after putting the Ares II in oversampling mode with a sharp filter. Total game changer. I hate to sound excited.......... but I am.

Jun 21, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #759 of 1,124
Did anybody figure out if the new 12th firmwares also change the sound signature with DSD?

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #762 of 1,124
Ares2/enyo will also be getting a firmware update at the end of this month per Alvin in an email I received.
Awesome received the email with the new Ares 12 firmware but I musta missed the one on the new firmware for Ares 2. Been running the 1.2 firmware and am happy with the sound but any addition improvements would be great.

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #764 of 1,124
After 400 hours break in, listened to my Terminator Plus again today, the brightness in high frequency is now smoothed out and more tolerable comparing to the sound right after it was updated to V3.7. I then reverted it back to V1.0, played the same tracks. T-plus with fw v1.0 sounded more musical, smooth, and more involving, but the sound of instruments lacking the same level of detail and texture, also slightly less focussed in comparison. I preferred V1.0 before but now I can't tell which one I like better :wink:

Jun 25, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #765 of 1,124
After 400 hours break in, listened to my Terminator Plus again today, the brightness in high frequency is now smoothed out and ... I preferred V1.0 before but now I can't tell which one I like better :wink:
... it is really interesting to read that most people make the same experience after updating to the new firmware, no matter the level / tier of DAC they have.
I am with the new version now, I don't want to miss these details any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back