DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jun 16, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #736 of 1,189
Well, from what I read here and in other forums plus my own experience, the jury is still out whether the new firmware sounds better than the original. It seems almost everyone agrees on two things, 1) different versions of firmware do sound different, 2) we could all live with the sound of the original firmware if these updates were not available :) :)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #737 of 1,189
Well, 2) we could all live with the sound of the original firmware if these updates were not available :) :)
Not really ! :relaxed:
I was just about to sell my PII right before the update because it was lacking emotion in vocal in my system comparing to my other dacs. But with the new FW, it is the best in my collections. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #738 of 1,189
Not really ! :relaxed:
I was just about to sell my PII right before the update because it was lacking emotion in vocal in my system comparing to my other dacs. But with the new FW, it is the best in my collections. :relaxed:
OK, great. Very glad to hear the new FW worked out well for you! You are an exception then :wink: BTW, I did sell my PII, only to upgrade to a T-Plus haha :)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #739 of 1,189
OK, after one week non-stop burning in, I did some serious listening again tonight. For my T-Plus with V3.7 FW update, the initial brightness subsided, music sounded smoother with more details than I could remember. But this is the case only when I play in NOS mode, OS still sounds a bit too bright to my taste. Will let it continue for another few days, then I will revert back to V1.0 to compare...

Jun 17, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #740 of 1,189
OK, after one week non-stop burning in, I did some serious listening again ... Will let it continue for another few days, then I will revert back to V1.0 to compare...
That's pretty much the experience with all Denafrips DACs, it seems.
Curious what your conclusion will be when switching back.

Jun 17, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #741 of 1,189
OK, after one week non-stop burning in, I did some serious listening again tonight. For my T-Plus with V3.7 FW update, the initial brightness subsided, music sounded smoother with more details than I could remember. But this is the case only when I play in NOS mode, OS still sounds a bit too bright to my taste. Will let it continue for another few days, then I will revert back to V1.0 to compare...
I knew there is quite some folks notice continuous run for weeks the sound get better.
When you run burn in, it has another possibility other hifi components (pre amp, amp, etc) analogue circuits will also get the burn in.
Hence, it might not necessary the FPGA new firmware new programmed logic elements get the sole burnt in.
Anyway, your trial run with swap back to older version is good method to compare both firmware.

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #742 of 1,189
hi guys
im in a bit of a pickle and need help if you guys wish to oblige, im having trouble trying to understand
how to configure the i2s on the cyan to work with the denafrips iris ddc , all im getting is static noise and I'm told
i have to configure the i2s on the cyan but there is no info in the manual how to physically do this could anyone please help
was trying for hours but still can not get it to work .

regards

nick

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #743 of 1,189
Have it burn-in above 200h

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #744 of 1,189
Have it burn-in above 200h

Yeah, I'm starting to feel this way too. I'm over 200h now and I feel like the sound has settled even more. I'm still running OS, and liking it. We're going out of town, I'm going to leave the DAC burning for another week+ and then compare NOS and OS. I've got no interest in going back to v1, for the bug fixes if nothing else.

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #745 of 1,189
... BTW, I did sell my PII, only to upgrade to a T-Plus haha :)
Great 👍, nice upgrade to T-Plus.

Before the new FW update on my P-II, I have had many tweaks to my system, besides jitter reducer, the most noticeable tweak was the improved grounding on the power conditioner. With the new FW's better soundstage and transparency, it's like icing on the cake 🍰.
I know the T-Plus has better soundstage and transparency which is also provided by the new PII FW. I'm now more curious is about the listening room. Mine is 13.5x16.5. Do you mind to share with your listening room before and after the P-Plus upgrade.

Thanks 🙏

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #746 of 1,189
Great 👍, nice upgrade to T-Plus.

Before the new FW update on my P-II, I have had many tweaks to my system, besides jitter reducer, the most noticeable tweak was the improved grounding on the power conditioner. With the new FW's better soundstage and transparency, it's like icing on the cake 🍰.
I know the T-Plus has better soundstage and transparency which is also provided by the new PII FW. I'm now more curious is about the listening room. Mine is 13.5x16.5. Do you mind to share with your listening room before and after the P-Plus upgrade.

Thanks 🙏
My is a smaller room (Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1 speakers + Rel subwoofer), 12' x 14', heavily treated with acoustic panels. bass traps. I still have to do room correction via Roon DSP using customized convolution filter provided by Home Audio Fidelity to tame standing waves In addition I have two Acoustic Revive RR-888.

Jun 18, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #747 of 1,189
The Guys at Vinshine Audio really showed their professional qualities with the clear and helpful information during my little upgrade of my Ares II.
Thank you Alvin and team.
I'm keen to have a listen when it has burned in a little, I haven't switched it off since the upgrade so it's still cooking.

Jun 18, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #748 of 1,189
A little late the the party, but I just updated my Ares II a few days ago with the latest firmware and wanted to share what I’m hearing. Was a bit skeptical that this was all worth the effort, especially when firmware updates usually are for correcting compatibility and bugs, but I decided to give it a shot.

Model: Ares II
Original Purchase: August 2019
Version: V3.12|A22E1.6
Filter: Slow / OS
Listening Position: Nearfield
Speakers: Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52

Right away I noticed an increase in percussion separation, specifically in cymbals and hi-hats, almost to the point of distraction. Bass appears slightly more controlled, and mids marginally recessed. It seems overall timbre and resolution has increased, giving the sound signature a bias away from warmth, and more toward a neutral tone. I eventually had to turn my treble down a smidge and toe-out the speakers to help compensate. I can sympathize with those who say it’s fatiguing; the highs are indeed way more extrusive. However, as a result of the added detail perhaps, soundstage depth and height has also increased. Everything presents bigger than before. There’s less of a “wall of sound” and more dimension, excluding some bad recordings.

After listening to a few different types of genres for a few hours, I found studio albums sound more engaging, and live albums offer more of an experiential sensation. I think I’m finally understanding why folks use the term “holographic” when describing the feeling of a good HiFI system.

Overall, I like it. I appreciate the increased timbre and soundstage. It did lose some of that smooth and sweet sound signature, and if I were to change one thing, it would be some additional warmth to the highs. Maybe in the future we could have a roster of firmware and filters to choose from to cater to everyone’s preferences.

And to those who say all DACs sound the same: Ah, nope

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #749 of 1,189
...It did lose some of that smooth and sweet sound signature, and if I were to change one thing, it would be some additional warmth to the highs...

Nice write up. For many of us 48 hours (or more) of burnin reduced the high end brightness and sweetened up the sound a little relative to what it was immediately after the upgrade. I'd also encourage you to check out the other filter options (OS/Sharp and NOS) if you haven't already. You may find your preference has changed...or maybe not :L3000:.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #750 of 1,189
A little late the the party, but I just updated my Ares II a few days ago with the latest firmware and wanted to share what I’m hearing. Was a bit skeptical that this was all worth the effort, especially when firmware updates usually are for correcting compatibility and bugs, but I decided to give it a shot.

Model: Ares II
Original Purchase: August 2019
Version: V3.12|A22E1.6
Filter: Slow / OS
Listening Position: Nearfield
Speakers: Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52

Right away I noticed an increase in percussion separation, specifically in cymbals and hi-hats, almost to the point of distraction. Bass appears slightly more controlled, and mids marginally recessed. It seems overall timbre and resolution has increased, giving the sound signature a bias away from warmth, and more toward a neutral tone. I eventually had to turn my treble down a smidge and toe-out the speakers to help compensate. I can sympathize with those who say it’s fatiguing; the highs are indeed way more extrusive. However, as a result of the added detail perhaps, soundstage depth and height has also increased. Everything presents bigger than before. There’s less of a “wall of sound” and more dimension, excluding some bad recordings.

After listening to a few different types of genres for a few hours, I found studio albums sound more engaging, and live albums offer more of an experiential sensation. I think I’m finally understanding why folks use the term “holographic” when describing the feeling of a good HiFI system.

Overall, I like it. I appreciate the increased timbre and soundstage. It did lose some of that smooth and sweet sound signature, and if I were to change one thing, it would be some additional warmth to the highs. Maybe in the future we could have a roster of firmware and filters to choose from to cater to everyone’s preferences.

And to those who say all DACs sound the same: Ah, nope

Thanks for sharing your experience. Very similar story for my 2021 T-Plus. After it was updated to V3.7 and about 200 hours of burn-in, now I do feel the excessive treble energy has been reduced significantly, although still there but within the range that could be deal with by changing to different cables, e.g. power cords, USB and interconnect cables. Only drawback for me is that I have to take out my "old" 2020 Denefrips DDC and give up the I2S connection since they are not compatible with the updated T-Plus, it is taking Denafrips forever to work out a promised firmware fix for the DDC...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back