DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jun 10, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #706 of 1,124
I completed updated v3.7 firmware for Denafrips T2 on last week, the update took me 10 minutes to complete flashing process. After that I need re-setup clock sync and i2s configuration with my SoundAware D300ref streamer after the firmware update. I test couple files to made sure sounds correct any format, then I let it burn in 48 hours.
Today I listened my system and I can say that sounds is more transparent and detail. I am happy with this update.

Thank you, The team of Vinshine Audio!

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #707 of 1,124
Correct. Years ago, PCM would work with the default pinout mode, but not DSD higher than 64fs. Changing the pinout mode would allow DSD to work, but not PCM. Then later on, none of the pinout modes would work for high-bitrate DSD. This issue is believed to be caused by the Gaia DDC. Denafrips was working on a firmware update for mine years ago, but apparently forgot about it. I asked them on the status off it when the DAC firmware updates were announced, but got no response. Direct connection to the DAC via USB works fine, of course.

*Edit* And there would still be noise playing after DSD playback until switching back to PCM.
I see. Sounds like the I2S issue for DDC has existed for a while. They told me the same last week to use other connections (than I2S) or revert back to V1.0 while waiting for them to work out a firmware fix for the DDC. Hope they won't forget this time :wink:

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #709 of 1,124
Same issue here, updated TP and the Iris DDC I2S cannot be set for both PCM and DSD. Funny Denafrips sounded surprised and told me to go thru the pin out set up to fix it. I am very disappointed to hear it is an old and known issue. I feel a warning should have been announced for DDC users before updating the firmware. I will say the USB seems to sound better now - maybe better than the old HDMI? Time to sell the Iris?

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #710 of 1,124
Thanks @centuriones and @ProMarantz for sharing your experience. Totally understand your preference for V1.0 which was what drew us to the Denafrips DAC at first place.

I am just wondering maybe Denafrips team is trying to do too much here for the latest firmware update. I noticed besides "improvements" for the sonic performance, there are couple of bug fixes for the update, e.g. "Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels", "Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture", "Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences", etc. Can't they just do those and not messing with the sound such as " Optimised DSP to improve the sonic performance", and "Fine-tune the sound quality in the mid-range and lower octave of the bass, to achieve a balanced, organic, analog-like sound signature that is characteristic of Denafrips "??
I agree maybe too many changes all at once. Denafrips uses the FPGA heavily for DSP. They were caught falsely claiming a NOS mode by many reviewers. They tried to change that in the firmware upgrade by changing the DSP, apparently it is closer to NOS but there is still a digital filter in play in the FPGA. I was using the NOS setting before the upgrade, now it sounds washed out. I prefer OS and the Sharp roll off filter now.

My Iris DDC is no longer fully compatible with the Terminator Plus so I am using USB. It sounds better now than before the upgrade when I was using the I2S from the Iris DDC.

I can use the Iris DDC with either PCM or DSD but not both without resetting the I2S pinout configuration. When I do use I2S, first I don't notice a difference with the clock in from the TP ( before the upgrade there was a difference) and second its not as good as the USB ( before the upgrade I2S was way better than USB).

Jun 11, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #711 of 1,124
My Iris DDC is no longer fully compatible with the Terminator Plus so I am using USB. It sounds better now than before the upgrade when I was using the I2S from the Iris DDC.
I was intrigued by your comment and decided to try the Terminator-Plus with the USB input. Might be confirmation bias, but I think it sounds better, too. Besides, the Pink Faun USB bridge and the the Furutech outlet did far more to improve my system's sound quality than the Gaia ever did.

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #713 of 1,124
Same issue here, updated TP and the Iris DDC I2S cannot be set for both PCM and DSD. Funny Denafrips sounded surprised and told me to go thru the pin out set up to fix it. I am very disappointed to hear it is an old and known issue. I feel a warning should have been announced for DDC users before updating the firmware. I will say the USB seems to sound better now - maybe better than the old HDMI? Time to sell the Iris?
Mmmh. that makes me want to give V3.7 another try, skipping the Iris DDC and connecting USB directly to T-Plus... BTW, I just added LHTY SW-8 switch before the Melco streamer, there were audible improvements, e.g. more transparent and smoother sound. The SW-8 has the same OCXO clock as T-Plus, so maybe I really don't need another reclocker (DDC) anyways.

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #714 of 1,124
I was intrigued by your comment and decided to try the Terminator-Plus with the USB input. Might be confirmation bias, but I think it sounds better, too. Besides, the Pink Faun USB bridge and the the Furutech outlet did far more to improve my system's sound quality than the Gaia ever did.
That could be real since one of the main improvements Denafrips claims they made in V3.7 is "Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture". That may make adding DDC unnecessary?

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #715 of 1,124
That may make adding DDC unnecessary?
My humble Venus II is fed via USB by an Auralic streamer.
I wonder if putting a reclocker like the Gaia between streamer and DAC would do anything noticable (except generating some revenue for Vinshine).

Jun 11, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #716 of 1,124
My humble Venus II is fed via USB by an Auralic streamer.
I wonder if putting a reclocker like the Gaia between streamer and DAC would do anything noticable (except generating some revenue for Vinshine).
Excuse me sir…but a Venus II is NOT humble…it is a kick-ass DAC! 👍🏼
(I hold this opinion as a humble owner of a Pontus II DAC. 🥹😀)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #717 of 1,124
OK, I updated T-Plus to V3.7, removed Iris DDC and connected directly from Melco N1z/2ex to the DAC via USB. First impression, I didn't like it, e.g. violin sounded too bright. It seems the DAC got extension at both high and low end, but with less body and fullness comparing to V1.0/DDC/I2S... I will leave it for a week and revisit next weekend...

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #718 of 1,124
OK, I updated T-Plus to V3.7, removed Iris DDC and connected directly from Melco N1z/2ex to the DAC via USB. First impression, I didn't like it, e.g. violin sounded too bright. It seems the DAC got extension at both high and low end, but with less body and fullness comparing to V1.0/DDC/I2S... I will leave it for a week and revisit next weekend...
The change was a bit jarring to me, at first.

After removing the Gaia from my chain, I moved the Furutech NCF Booster-Signal that was supporting the middle of my USB cable to under the DAC's USB connection. I also moved a Furutech Clear Line that was next to the power amps' receptacle to where the Gaia was plugged: in between the computer monitor's and DAC's receptacles.

I got used to the sound real fast and combined with the firmware update, the sound feels more effortless with more distinction between sounds and more noticeable differences in tones. I am keeping the change until a DDC firmware update is available.

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #719 of 1,124
The change was a bit jarring to me, at first.

After removing the Gaia from my chain, I moved the Furutech NCF Booster-Signal that was supporting the middle of my USB cable to under the DAC's USB connection. I also moved a Furutech Clear Line that was next to the power amps' receptacle to where the Gaia was plugged: in between the computer monitor's and DAC's receptacles.

I got used to the sound real fast and combined with the firmware update, the sound feels more effortless with more distinction between sounds and more noticeable differences in tones. I am keeping the change until a DDC firmware update is available.
I could tell the soundstage expanded, there was more space and separation of instruments. The brightness didn't affect vocals, only trumpet and violin as I mostly listen to classical music (4000+ FLAC and DSD albums on home server). Since VInshine suggested break-in after the update, I'll leave it on playing in background for a week and shall see what happens.

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #720 of 1,124
I found the new firmware a little bright at first too, but after 48 hours it seemed a lot smoother. JMO/FWIW/YMMV and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back