DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 17, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #301 of 1,124
I use a Hermes DDC with my Pontus II 12th edition and find I like the upgraded firmware v1.3 rather than the originally provided firmware, I use the I2S HDMI connection between the two. You can set the I2S pinouts separately on both the DDC and DAC so easy connection. The Hermes adds I think extra precision in the spatial display of the soundscape, and hence gives extra clarity along with general noise reduction to your hifi chain. I also have the Iris DDC and it does a good job in cleaning up USB sources, but the Hermes is more versatile with lots of digital inputs possible. Another plus point for any DDC is that you can connect lots of downstream DACs and compare them, as the digital outputs are all simultaneous. Very nice digital switchboard is how I think of the Hermes. Once in the chain, it will stay for good !
I am new to DDC. Currently I have Ethernet going into a Pi2 Design Mercury Streamer and I have I²S connecting my Streamer to my Pontus II. If I bought a Hermes, it does not have I²S input (only output). My Mercury Streamer also has the following outputs 1. SPDIF 2. Optical 3. AES SoAX 4. AES Balanced (Photo Attached). What do you think would be the best way to connect a Hermes into my system.
I am on the fence about this. I can pick-up a used Hermes for $800-$1000...but maybe it just makes more sense to sell my Pontus II and upgrade to a Venus. Can you give me your thoughts on this. I am not very experienced with such matters. Thanks.
Mercury.jpg

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #302 of 1,124
I am new to DDC. Currently I have Ethernet going into a Pi2 Design Mercury Streamer and I have I²S connecting my Streamer to my Pontus II. If I bought a Hermes, it does not have I²S input (only output). My Mercury Streamer also has the following outputs 1. SPDIF 2. Optical 3. AES SoAX 4. AES Balanced (Photo Attached). What do you think would be the best way to connect a Hermes into my system.
I am on the fence about this. I can pick-up a used Hermes for $800-$1000...but maybe it just makes more sense to sell my Pontus II and upgrade to a Venus. Can you give me your thoughts on this. I am not very experienced with such matters. Thanks. Mercury.jpg
If you want to connect your streamer output to Hermes, then as you said you don't have I2S as an option. So SPDIF coax or Optical or AES are the options. Now these are all SPDIF in basic format, with AES balanced being preferred if you have a long cable run, all will be OK as inputs for the Hermes. It has a better clock than the Pontus II so I2S exporting this better clock and on separate pin to the data stream is considered a good thing. I am unsure however if the Pontus will just use its own internal clock anyway and ignore the better I2S clock , I am aware of some forum debates on this point but am not sure of what the reality is. I believe the Venus clock is on a par with the Hermes so your point about just moving up to Venus and ignore a Hermes DDC is a good one. Maybe others can add more info on these crucial points. Just a general point about DDCs, I have always found they improve the performance of all DACs downstream and not just Denafrips R2Rs either. Digital improvements seem to come from reduction of noise in the overall chain of devices and DDCs certainly help with galvanic isolation and reclocking with low jitter clocks. The cleaner the digital input to your DAC the better I would say. Hope this helps, just my opinion

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #303 of 1,124
If you want to connect your streamer output to Hermes, then as you said you don't have I2S as an option. So SPDIF coax or Optical or AES are the options. Now these are all SPDIF in basic format, with AES balanced being preferred if you have a long cable run, all will be OK as inputs for the Hermes. It has a better clock than the Pontus II so I2S exporting this better clock and on separate pin to the data stream is considered a good thing. I am unsure however if the Pontus will just use its own internal clock anyway and ignore the better I2S clock , I am aware of some forum debates on this point but am not sure of what the reality is. I believe the Venus clock is on a par with the Hermes so your point about just moving up to Venus and ignore a Hermes DDC is a good one. Maybe others can add more info on these crucial points. Just a general point about DDCs, I have always found they improve the performance of all DACs downstream and not just Denafrips R2Rs either. Digital improvements seem to come from reduction of noise in the overall chain of devices and DDCs certainly help with galvanic isolation and reclocking with low jitter clocks. The cleaner the digital input to your DAC the better I would say. Hope this helps, just my opinion
HEY THANKS....I have done some reading and I was I knew that the Hermes has the Venus Clock and intuitively it makes no sense to go from a better clock to a lesser clock....but I know nothing technically...I am just parotting. Perhaps I should send Alvin a note about it and get some feedback. I am in no rush to make a change..but I have to say this whole firmware fiasco has shown me how important my DAC is in my synergetic chain of components.......So..thanks for the help...I will chew on this for a while.
:beyersmile:

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #304 of 1,124
Actually Hermes has an oven controlled clock, and the venus has a temperature compensated clock. The oven controlled clock is the better clock.

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #307 of 1,124
I just received my used,but new to me Denafrips ARES II Enyo and after hooking everything up via both Coax inputs,I basically like the sound so far and that's without the newest firmware update.
Vinshine manual says that the "old" ARES II and the 'new' ENYO are basically the same unit,other than the name,but I found that pressing the "MUTE" button,according to the manual for the ARES II,the LED light for Mute is supposed to flash at one second intervals,well mine stays ON,no flashing,so obviously the internals are not the same,unless I got an oddball one?....anyways,the update looks very complicated to me,so I hope I don't "need' to do the update.
Anyone here using the newer version ARES II ENYO?.Thanks,Huck

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #308 of 1,124
I just received my used,but new to me Denafrips ARES II Enyo and after hooking everything up via both Coax inputs,I basically like the sound so far and that's without the newest firmware update.
Vinshine manual says that the "old" ARES II and the 'new' ENYO are basically the same unit,other than the name,but I found that pressing the "MUTE" button,according to the manual for the ARES II,the LED light for Mute is supposed to flash at one second intervals,well mine stays ON,no flashing,so obviously the internals are not the same,unless I got an oddball one?....anyways,the update looks very complicated to me,so I hope I don't "need' to do the update.
Anyone here using the newre version ARES II ENYO?.Thanks,Huck
The red light stays on after I press the MUTE button on my ENYO.

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #309 of 1,124
The red light stays on after I press the MUTE button on my ENYO.
Hi: Did you do the latest firmware update and if so,did you notice a substantial sound quality difference? Thanks,Huck

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #310 of 1,124
Hi: Did you do the latest firmware update and if so,did you notice a substantial sound quality difference? Thanks,Huck
This upgrade to firmware version 1.2, after 100 hours of BURN IN, the sound is warm while the treble is more textured and stereo than before, and the bass is less fuzzy. It could also be the version 1.2 firmware that my ears are getting used to. I'm going to BRUN IN for another 200 hours and see if I go back to the old firmware after that.

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #311 of 1,124
This upgrade to firmware version 1.2, after 100 hours of BURN IN, the sound is warm while the treble is more textured and stereo than before, and the bass is less fuzzy. It could also be the version 1.2 firmware that my ears are getting used to. I'm going to BRUN IN for another 200 hours and see if I go back to the old firmware after that.
Hi: I could be wrong,but I thought I read on the Vinshine web-site that they burn in the ARES II for 100 hours at the factory?.Thanks,Huck

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #312 of 1,124
Hi: I could be wrong,but I thought I read on the Vinshine web-site that they burn in the ARES II for 100 hours at the factory?.Thanks,Huck
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/denafrips-fpga-firmware-update?page=3
See the post above link, Mksun 04-17-2023 at 05:01am.
"I posed some questions to the FPGA development team at Vinshine regarding break-in and this was their response: "The FPGA firmware update essentially ’rewired’ the logic gates in the FPGA chip. (Ref: link here). Please allow some time for the FPGA to burn in for optimum sound reproduction. Up to 300 hours will be good."

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #313 of 1,124
"I posed some questions to the FPGA development team at Vinshine regarding break-in and this was their response: "The FPGA firmware update essentially ’rewired’ the logic gates in the FPGA chip. (Ref: link here). Please allow some time for the FPGA to burn in for optimum sound reproduction. Up to 300 hours will be good."

Just my 2-cents....I am a believer in burn-in for lots of situations and components...I am a Pontus II owner and I loaded the new firmware on my DAC. Short-story, I was not happy. I burned in for 200hrs as recommended...no change, "that I could perceive" . NONE. I reloaded my original software, when it became available. It was just as it was, immediately. No change with time, that "I can perceive".
I know that everyone's experience can be different....but in this case...that is what I experienced.
If a DAC is new, this would most likely be different.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #314 of 1,124

Thanks. I bought my unit used(6 months old) and it does not have the update and I don't know if the original owner did any burning in and I also have new XLR cables,plus two new Coax cableS that are probably gonna need some burn in time,so it could be some time before I get to hear the "real' sound of this DAC,but right now,without the update,sounds pretty good to me. Huck​

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #315 of 1,124
When you say "burn-in",do you mean the unit is in "Standby mode" (LEDS off,other than Standby),or do mean 'powered up' with LEDS on,or 'powered' up with music playing?
I would think that the 'proper' way to burn in would be to have the unit powered up and music playing? Thanks,Huck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back