DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Mar 25, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #46 of 1,124
Hi there,

same feeling here, it also sounds like a different DAC to me. I'm not sure if I like it.

We'll see.
I’ve found it sounds really good with speakers. But there’s still too much detail in my headphones. I’m going to give it some more time. As one of the other posters said, it may take some time for the brain and ears to adjust.

There are definitely some improvements here. But it is always subjective. If warm means a little less detail, then I’m OK with that. Others crave the analytical and the crisp. That is not me!

Good luck and us posted on your journey.

Mar 25, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #47 of 1,124
Sometimes improvements take a couple days for brain to adjust to the change. Are you running the same settings as before updating firmware
I know, I know, and I believe in burn-in, but it's been a week and I'm still missing something. Settings are the same: OS slow filter.

I'll give it more listening time and see.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #48 of 1,124
I know, I know, and I believe in burn-in, but it's been a week and I'm still missing something. Settings are the same: OS slow filter.

I'll give it more listening time and see.

Have you tried any different settings? They might work better with the new sound.

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #49 of 1,124
After giving the firmware upgrade about a week to settle in on my Ares II, these are three areas of sonic changes I notice the most:

1. bigger soundstage
2. greater impact/dynamics ("punch")
3. some treble peaks

I'm continuing to evaluate the changes with different settings, headamps and headphones...

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #51 of 1,124
Not yet. I want to try NOS and see, and it would be great to know what the PHASE button is doing in my Ares, I'll try with a test CD I have to check polarity.
For me, it was obvious which way was in phase, but if you can't hear a difference then I guess it is not a big deal in your system.

Mar 25, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #52 of 1,124
Attempted my upgrade last weekend, but fell foul of error 044 and couldn't get beyond that. This morning, thought I'd check which version of firmware I currently had, only to find that I now have V3.12 | A22FA1.6; this is why I don't use a PC in my system.
After a few hours of listening, there are a couple of things I've noticed about the 'new' Ares II: it sounds more "essy" and runs hotter, than it did before (OS mode, Slow filter). The former may be an indication of greater clarity and the latter, an indication that the new algorithms are more resource intensive.
I realised later that I'd been listening with the Sharp filter engaged; updating the firmware obviously resets everything to 'lights out'.
I was hoping to investigate the significantly elevated temperature I noticed in the early, post-update hours, but things appear to have reverted to normal, with no discernible temperature difference between operating modes; must have been down to FPGA "burn in"!
My upgrade came a couple of weeks after I replaced a pair of fuses, so it's difficult to know for sure which has had the greater effect, but with the benefit of a little more listening time, I think it's the depth of the soundstage that's seen the most noticeable change.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #53 of 1,124
I realised later that I'd been listening with the Sharp filter engaged; updating the firmware obviously resets everything to 'lights out'.
I was hoping to investigate the significantly elevated temperature I noticed in the early, post-update hours, but things appear to have reverted to normal, with no discernible temperature difference between operating modes; must have been down to FPGA "burn in"!
My upgrade came a couple of weeks after I replaced a pair of fuses, so it's difficult to know for sure which has had the greater effect, but with the benefit of a little more listening time, I think it's the depth of the soundstage that's seen the most noticeable change.
What fuse are you using in the Ares ii?

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #56 of 1,124
Just to be clear, you spent 50 UK pounds on the fuse for your Ares II? I just want to be clear on that point.
Mine was $20

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #59 of 1,124
Just to be clear, you spent 50 UK pounds on the fuse for your Ares II? I just want to be clear on that point.
Yep crazy what some of these fuse cost, heck 50 UK is on the low price compared to others. @szore did you notice any improvement with the fuse?

https://www.tweekgeek.com/quantum-science-audio-5-x-20mm-slow-blow-fuse/

There‘s also these plug enhancers

https://www.tweekgeek.com/qsa-powerjitter-power-conditioner-gold/

Kinda amazing people spend this much cash on tweaks.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #60 of 1,124
What is OS Slow on 12th please?

Mute > Optical > Light off = slow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back