DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 15, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #3,091 of 3,907
OK, Folks, Have the Ares setup with the Jot2...I know the Ares needs 10 days to 'warm up', but its sounding good so far cold....The only question; I tried to set the OS mode and the filter but cannot seem to figure out the buttons. The manual says press the mute button, but when I do that, it just mutes. What am I missing?

20220215_191623.jpg
They say on the website thats its fully burned in from the factory but it definitely needed a good 10 days or so of run time before mine settled in.

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #3,092 of 3,907
Everyone says the Jot2 and Ares is warm...I am not hearing that at all. I mean, at least not 'too' warm...

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #3,093 of 3,907
Lol so you've tried it then?

Why don't you try it before preaching...

Pick up a 10 cent brass washer at the hardware store, not hard or expensive to prove you're right.

If a guy said he learned to fly when he jumped off a bridge I'm not going to jump off a bridge. It's just common sense.

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #3,094 of 3,907
When I put the Aresii in standby mode, is that still considered leaving 'on'?

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #3,095 of 3,907
I can’t comment on Ares2 but with my Metrum Onyx and Sonnet Morpheus, I have to keep them On all the time as compared to just stand by. However both the DACs only take 8w. Check for the power consumption of Ares and if it’s not a lot and you have good surge protection then keep it on.

Feb 16, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #3,097 of 3,907
I asked the company itself before and they told me there is no difference between stand-by and ON modes in terms of burning-in.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #3,098 of 3,907
I asked the company itself before and they told me there is no difference between stand-by and ON modes in terms of burning-in.
We are the best judge. We just have to test it out and see if we perceive any difference in SQ. As far as manufacturer goes, they would never say that their device must be "ON" all the time to sound best. It's just bad for business.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #3,099 of 3,907
Nonsense aside, if it does anything at all, then there must have been an electrical disconnect between the case parts which caused a grounding issue that installing the washer just happened to fix.
Tension created during assembly, then exposing enclosure to the extreme temperature during shipment can reveal cold soldering joints inside PCB that otherwise would never shown. It is why some equipment arrives DOA or partly functioning (even it was tested at the factory). Releasing screws would already help reducing tension. I didn't watch a video, but even if it has been demonstrated repeated transition, it means a faulty unit than a result of successful tweak.

I had computer motherboard that reacted on adjusting screws, it broke permanently few months later.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #3,102 of 3,907
Tension created during assembly, then exposing enclosure to the extreme temperature during shipment can reveal cold soldering joints inside PCB that otherwise would never shown. It is why some equipment arrives DOA or partly functioning (even it was tested at the factory). Releasing screws would already help reducing tension. I didn't watch a video, but even if it has been demonstrated repeated transition, it means a faulty unit than a result of successful tweak.

I had computer motherboard that reacted on adjusting screws, it broke permanently few months later.

Watch the video.

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #3,103 of 3,907
Edit... I reacted to something... Lost in the wind

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #3,104 of 3,907
Holy Crapola, Batman! I've had the AresII 'on' for 6 days now, connected to the Jot2 amp, and it already sounds better than the CMA15 by Questyle!

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #3,105 of 3,907
Holy Crapola, Batman! I've had the AresII 'on' for 6 days now, connected to the Jot2 amp, and it already sounds better than the CMA15 by Questyle!
That's my desktop rig and, yeah, it rules. Maybe eventually I'll upgrade the amp but for now I'm really happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back