DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 7, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #2,971 of 3,927
Jan 7, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #2,973 of 3,927
I was as skeptical as the next guy - but I tried it and it really did make a difference.

It's logical that a device generating an analogue signal would benefit in resonating freely.

This is actually part two of his videos on tweaking the Ares II.
Not gonna break a leg to try it, costs nothing, why not try it before saying you believe or don't believe in it. If it works, free upgrade, if it doesn't, you wasted two minutes.

Where the hell to get an m2 copper washer though?

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #2,974 of 3,927
Not gonna break a leg to try it, costs nothing, why not try it before saying you believe or don't believe in it. If it works, free upgrade, if it doesn't, you wasted two minutes.

Ugh. One of the very few components I didn't open up right away on receiving it. It's built in tightly in my new bamboo rack with all wires routed and tucked away out of view. It'll take a lot more effort than 2 minutes.
And I've got better things waiting for me. A new 12" tonearm to change and a new tubed phono that needs a lot more than just unscrewing and tuberolling. Also started a new pair of speakers yesterday. Compared to tuning loudspeaker filters or correctly adjusting a cartridge I can't really be bothered with a tiny tweak like that.

Copper washers. Hardware store I suppose. I don't even bother going there but for larger purchases. They get very irritated if you ask for tiny specific stuff. That's why I buy those things on Aliexpress. Shrink tube, washers, hex screws, terminals, resistors, wire etc etc. If your not in a hurry it's easy and super cheap.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #2,975 of 3,927
Ugh. One of the very few components I didn't open up right away on receiving it. It's built in tightly in my new bamboo rack with all wires routed and tucked away out of view. It'll take a lot more effort than 2 minutes.
And I've got better things waiting for me. A new 12" tonearm to change and a new tubed phono that needs a lot more than just unscrewing and tuberolling. Also started a new pair of speakers yesterday. Compared to tuning loudspeaker filters or correctly adjusting a cartridge I can't really be bothered with a tiny tweak like that.
It may be worthwhile. It may provide a bigger improvement than you think since its near the top of the audio chain.

Downstream effect is real.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #2,976 of 3,927

I wouldn't recommend to do it, especially if the device is already longer in use.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #2,977 of 3,927
I wouldn't recommend to do it, especially if the device is already longer in use.
What does that mean? What do you think is going to happen?

I already did it and it works for me, I had the system on and listening to music while I was adjusting it and I could tell the difference.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,978 of 3,927
It may be worthwhile. It may provide a bigger improvement than you think since its near the top of the audio chain.

Downstream effect is real.
I don’t buy it either but worth a try to see if you own the Ares 2, it’s case is pretty live sounding. Some audiophiles like running their gear without cages or top plates or speakers without grills or components on points, it’s all easy to do and can help the end results. What the hell else do we have to do, most folks think we are not sane regardless.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #2,979 of 3,927
What does that mean? What do you think is going to happen?

I already did it and it works for me, I had the system on and listening to music while I was adjusting it and I could tell the difference.
If the screws are that tight like he mention and the interconnects and the pcb are deformed over time plus temperatures up and down, you could get microcracks in the board. Surely, the Ares 2 is no GPU...But i wouldn't do that, especially in an older unit.

I've seen that a lot on watercooled GPU PCB's f.e. and other parts by switching the cooler and pull the screws. They died over time, cause of microcracks and loosing contacts.

You can laugh on it. But i laugh, if you could hear any difference by doing this. If yes, i hope you use perfect soldered XLR cables.

And i would never do something like this, when the unit is powered...

But all is fine, everybody on his own...

Even sourced by a tip of a man who put peppermills in his wall and only sells units, he dissamble before purchase and call it service...

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #2,980 of 3,927
If the screws are that tight like he mention and the interconnects and the pcb are deformed over time plus temperatures up and down, you could get microcracks in the board. Surely, the Ares 2 is no GPU...But i wouldn't do that, especially in an older unit.

I've seen that a lot on watercooled GPU PCB's f.e. and other parts by switching the cooler and pull the screws. They died over time, cause of microcracks and loosing contacts.

You can laugh on it. But i laugh, if you could hear any difference by doing this. If yes, i hope you use perfect soldered XLR cables.

And i would never do something like this, when the unit is powered...

But all is fine, everybody on his own...

Even sourced by a tip of a man who put peppermills in his wall and only sells units, he dissamble before purchase and call it service...

Cheers
The screws are not going to be that tight. We're not talking GPU levels of tightness here. If the screws are overly tightened from the factory, you already have a problem to begin with.

You are absolutely correct, it is not a GPU, so probably not worth comparing it to, since a GPU reaches temperatures a dac would never see.

You can laugh or dont laugh, not sure why pointing fingers is important to you, if you don't want to try it, you won't know so why try to ridicule or discourage others?

Everytime you go outside, you risk getting hit by a car, train, plane, infection...Should you never go outside and convince yourself and others that theres nothing to see out there anyway and laugh at the people who go outside? Reminds of the Fox and the Grapes tale from Aesop's fables.

I don't know much about the guy but I do know that washer and loosening that screw while tapping did improve the sound. Exactly as he said, it sounds more open. Theres no risk in that whatsoever. Any words of discouragement on that one?

If you tried it and you hear nothing, its going to be either it doesn't work, you didn't do it right, or the difference is not enough for your hearing sensitivity level (surprise, some people have better hearing that others). But you didn't even try it and you're sure it doesn't do anything and it doesn't work for others...

Theres things in this hobby that don't make sense but sometimes they do and if we as hobbyists benefit from this, why not take advantage instead of trying to discourage, insult, shame others. Maybe they're full of crap or maybe its real, but at least try it for yourself first before having an opinion. If its not "worth" it to you, thats fine, it might be worth it to others, no need to be a negative Nancy and crap on them.

Cheers

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #2,981 of 3,927
The screws are not going to be that tight. We're not talking GPU levels of tightness here. If the screws are overly tightened from the factory, you already have a problem to begin with.

You are absolutely correct, it is not a GPU, so probably not worth comparing it to, since a GPU reaches temperatures a dac would never see.

You can laugh or dont laugh, not sure why pointing fingers is important to you, if you don't want to try it, you won't know so why try to ridicule or discourage others?

Everytime you go outside, you risk getting hit by a car, train, plane, infection...Should you never go outside and convince yourself and others that theres nothing to see out there anyway and laugh at the people who go outside? Reminds of the Fox and the Grapes tale from Aesop's fables.

I don't know much about the guy but I do know that washer and loosening that screw while tapping did improve the sound. Exactly as he said, it sounds more open. Theres no risk in that whatsoever. Any words of discouragement on that one?

If you tried it and you hear nothing, its going to be either it doesn't work, you didn't do it right, or the difference is not enough for your hearing sensitivity level (surprise, some people have better hearing that others). But you didn't even try it and you're sure it doesn't do anything and it doesn't work for others...

Theres things in this hobby that don't make sense but sometimes they do and if we as hobbyists benefit from this, why not take advantage instead of trying to discourage, insult, shame others. Maybe they're full of crap or maybe its real, but at least try it for yourself first before having an opinion. If its not "worth" it to you, thats fine, it might be worth it to others, no need to be a negative Nancy and crap on them.

Cheers
Therefore i wrote, everybody on his own..

It was an example for PCB's and screws to transfer an example to other hardware...
Screws on a watercooled GPU are less tight as these interconnect screws. To be concrete, the pcb around, rest is adhesive.

Rest of your text is well written, but your example? No comparison...

There is not that much poison in my words as you read in them...

I haven't done it by myself, cause i've heard a comparison between a unit from this guy ("mod" done by him) and a unit directly from vinshine audio 1:1 with a switch.

Absolutely no difference. Cause you couldn't hear it, it doesn't mean isn't there...It does nothing...

If you have ever soldered a XLR cable on your own, you should understand...

yeah, try it, listen to it for a few minutes time and no costs. What could be a result? Damaging a solderjoint, if the screw is too loose or even the circuit...wow...nice improvement.

There is also no way to turn a screw wrong. Are you doing it to every device you got?

This is simply Snake Oil and this guy? No word about after i mailed with him. But it is cheap Snake Oil. Not like jitterbugs, overpriced cables aso. As for me, i burned enough money to could stand this opinion.

There is also a special audiophile fluid out there to brush it to the internal board for a better sound. You should try it. An amazing improvement.

Please also pay attention to uniform signal direction and the bending radii of the cables. Otherwise the effect will be lost. Mark with arrows for safety.

You should also try to crimp the RCA Inputs, less tightness to the contact. More Air, wider soundstage and Microdetails... Sorry, but this is absolutely bull**** in my modest opinion.

Like written before, do it like you wan't. As for me, people shouldn't believe in this and also don't turn screws on a powered unit, never ever...or connected xlr cables.

Maybe my english isn't good enough, ending up that harsh.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #2,982 of 3,927
Today was 6th day with my Ares and my mind is blown!!! Did not know that a DAC could make that much of a difference!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #2,983 of 3,927
Today was day 6th with my Ares. And my mind is blown. Did now know that a DAC could make that much of a difference!

Completely agree. I've heard many people say that the DAC only makes about 10% difference to the sound - but I feel it make as much difference as the amplifier. In fact, the difference between using my phone's own chip DAC vs the Ares II is more noticeable than changing between my SS and tube amps.

I love the sheer space and beauty the Ares II gives the music. I cannot imagine what going up to the Pontus or Venus would sound like - I can't believe music could sound any better!!

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #2,984 of 3,927
I love the sheer space and beauty the Ares II gives the music. I cannot imagine what going up to the Pontus or Venus would sound like - I can't believe music could sound any better!!
Those two would need bigger washers. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back