DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 2, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #3,151 of 3,909
1. I'm pretty sure that if you're listening to it with NOS, there is no filtering (eg soft) available. Filtering on the ares 2 is only available in oversampling mode.

2. Does anybody hear any difference with changing the phase? I'm using this with a schiit asgaard3.

1. I'm pretty sure that if you're listening to it with NOS, there is no filtering (eg soft) available. Filtering on the ares 2 is only available in oversampling mode.

2. Does anybody hear any difference with changing the phase? I'm using this with a schiit asgaard3.
For the phase button, I forgot which position it is, on or off but the difference is pretty noticeable, sounds like 1/4 of the music is cutoff in height.

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #3,152 of 3,909
NOS tends to be an acquired taste, most people would prefer regular oversampling which is sharper with better refined edges. NOS sounds softer/fuzzier but also different.
I found NOS to sound more clear and pure! Sound fidelity increased.

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #3,156 of 3,909
Hey guys - I was wondering if you all had any experience with using Ares 2 and streaming service Tidal. @musicrover having issues with this:

"I was hoping you could have some insight on my streaming. The unit is working however I can hear a popping sound every 5 or 6 seconds from the speakers. I have changed the settings on my desktop computer (windows 10) and in my streaming app (Tidel).

My laptop (mac) works fine."

I sold my Ares 2 Dac and he is trying to set it up proper on his end. Unfortunately, I do not have experience with Tidal or speakers. Hope someone might be able shed some insight. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #3,157 of 3,909
Hey guys - I was wondering if you all had any experience with using Ares 2 and streaming service Tidal. @musicrover having issues with this:

"I was hoping you could have some insight on my streaming. The unit is working however I can hear a popping sound every 5 or 6 seconds from the speakers. I have changed the settings on my desktop computer (windows 10) and in my streaming app (Tidel).

My laptop (mac) works fine."

I sold my Ares 2 Dac and he is trying to set it up proper on his end. Unfortunately, I do not have experience with Tidal or speakers. Hope someone might be able shed some insight. Thanks!

A gentleman contacted us with similar issue. The follow guide fixes the issue:

Windows Computer:
1. Install Thesycon Driver. Installation guide: https://www.denafrips.com/win-os
2. For Tidal App on Windows, set the Tidal to exclusive mode

Mac Computer:
1. Typical setup guide: https://www.denafrips.com/mac-os
2. Sampling rate setting can be configured @ 'Midi Setup'

Happy listening!

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #3,158 of 3,909
A gentleman contacted us with similar issue. The follow guide fixes the issue:

Windows Computer:
1. Install Thesycon Driver. Installation guide: https://www.denafrips.com/win-os
2. For Tidal App on Windows, set the Tidal to exclusive mode

Mac Computer:
1. Typical setup guide: https://www.denafrips.com/mac-os
2. Sampling rate setting can be configured @ 'Midi Setup'

Happy listening!

Thank you Alvin! This is why Vinshine Audio is awesome! I really appreciate it.

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #3,159 of 3,909
Does anyone know if they will ever offer the Ares II in silver?

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #3,160 of 3,909
Mar 15, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #3,163 of 3,909
So I've had the Ares II for a month now, and I don't know if it's my imagination, but this thing seems to have kicked into "high gear"... Suddenly, it just sounds a LOT better... Is that a thing, the 30 day bump?

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #3,164 of 3,909
So I've had the Ares II for a month now, and I don't know if it's my imagination, but this thing seems to have kicked into "high gear"... Suddenly, it just sounds a LOT better... Is that a thing, the 30 day bump?
I've owned Audio-GD DACs (which are similar to the Denafrips with discrete ladder and oversized transformers) and yep definite sound improvement with more use.

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #3,165 of 3,909
Alvin suggested I do the firmware update first to see if it fixes an issue with intermittent static/crackling over USB, which it did.
The unit was bought in December 2019.

Just got my new ARES II from Denafrips and my unit plays wonderfully fine.

Though sometimes when I walk around a little on my woolen socks and then touch the ARES II, a tiny spark jumps from my finger to the unit or the other way around, and the the music immediately gets distorted with digital noise. Like 50% music and 50% static noise.

The unit is connected to an earthed mains and an earthed amplifier and my Lenovo notebook via USB.

Pressing stop and play again on my notebook, immediately fixes the issue.
Does anyone else has the same issue with static electricity distorting their DAC/ARES II upon touching it?

Is it forbidden to own ARES II AND wear woolen socks at the same time? :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back