Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Aug 29, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #304 of 364
Hello fellow head-fiers :relaxed:

Thinking about getting the Denafrips Ares 12th and wondering what headphone amp you feel is a good match.

I'm currently running a Teac UD-503 DAC/Preamp with built in headphone amp. Headphones are Sennheiser HD700. CD player is Rotel RCD-1072....

_ADM7908.jpg

DAC is directly connected to PC via USB cable. CD player is directly connected to DAC via digital cable. Speakers are Audioengine A5+ powered speakers and run directly off the DAC. Also have the S8 Sub. It's all about the headphones though.

I also have all my CDs ripped in FLAC and played through JRiver Media Center (USB to DAC). Not really interested in a streamer, tough I do stream my files via Plex to my phone to my car. BTW, I'm mainly 70s jazz (fusion, modern, contemporary), R&B, and classic rock.

With all that said, what's a good headphone amp matchup for the Ares 12? Price range $600-$1200. Was looking at the Topping A90D but having to send it back to China for repairs "if needed" is not something I'd welcome.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #305 of 364
ARES 12th FW 1.8 UPDATE IS NOW OUT. Just upgraded mine step by step via the detailed instructions for MAC. Success!

Get it while it's hot :). Watch Alvin's video on YouTube and check for the link in the description.
I have the Denafrips Ares II 12th and I received the firmware v1.8 in 2 days (I requested on Saturday and got it on Monday).
It does sound better....better bass, taller soundstage, and the vocalist sounds more real in the room than ever.

I did the firmware update with my Windows 11 Home laptop, but the instructions were for Windows 10 so it was a little confusing. Alvin from VineshineAudio was helpful even though he was traveling.

NOTE: I am also using a Denafrips Iris 12th (a DDC which I highly recommend) via the i2S port.
---
If anyone has both the Denafrips Ares II 12th with the latest v1.8 firmware and the Iris 12th, as well as a Pontus II or Pontus II 12th, I'd be curious if you would let us know how close does the Ares now come to the Pontus...would it still be worth it to upgrade to the Pontus?

My setup:

Sep 15, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #306 of 364
Waiting for the arrival of a Burson Soloist 3X to pair with a newly acquired Ares 12th-1. This combo will be compared with an also newly acquired Questyle Twelve Master AIO.
I must say, the Denafrips/Burson combo has a tough hill to climb because this QTM is fantastic.
They will drive an HEK V2 Stealth.
IMG_20230915_044514425_HDR.jpg

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #307 of 364
I’m thinking of getting a new streamer which has 2 digital outputs the first is I2S via HDMI and the second is a choice of either spdif via RCA or BNC or AES.

I know the I2S is ‘best’ for the Ares 12th but I’m undecided as to getting the AES or RCA spdif option. Can anyone give their opinion?

Streamer: Mano Ultra MKiii

Thanks

PS: I have a few other DACs in my pantry that have both AES & I2S. I also have a Bifrost 2/64 which only has spdif via RCA & Toslink.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #308 of 364
2/3 second audio delay! Really?

I did a lot of homework on which DAC to buy, and until this morning I was ready to order the Ares 12-1 but then I watched one more Ares II review on YouTube. A comment to the review stated that the Ares cannot be used for gaming or media because it has a 2/3 second delay! Is this true? My less sophisticated Schiit Modi has no discernible delay. I was going to run an optical cable from my TV to the DAC but if the comment is accurate I might take another look at Topping, SMSL and Schiit instead. My DAC money is itching to be spent!

Sep 17, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #310 of 364
This isn't good. Lol. I just received a 12th-1 and was planning on running an optical cable from my TV so I could listen to movies with my headphones.

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #311 of 364
2/3 second audio delay! Really?

I did a lot of homework on which DAC to buy, and until this morning I was ready to order the Ares 12-1 but then I watched one more Ares II review on YouTube. A comment to the review stated that the Ares cannot be used for gaming or media because it has a 2/3 second delay! Is this true? My less sophisticated Schiit Modi has no discernible delay. I was going to run an optical cable from my TV to the DAC but if the comment is accurate I might take another look at Topping, SMSL and Schiit instead. My DAC money is itching to be spent!
I would venture to guess that "might" be dependent on connection, if I'm to believe this is indicative of the DAC, which I don't believe. At the moment I don't have a Denafrips DAC (planning on getting both the Pontus and Artemis at a later date) to verify this, but I highly doubt that. Can you provide a link to said video?

Anyway, as a hardcore gamer who also builds his own high end gaming rigs...I'm not buying a DAC for gaming!!! That said, my current Teac UD-503 DAC connected to my PC via USB has zero issues with audio from games. However, the main purpose of the DAC is music :slight_smile:

Sep 17, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #314 of 364
I would venture to guess that "might" be dependent on connection, if I'm to believe this is indicative of the DAC, which I don't believe. At the moment I don't have a Denafrips DAC (planning on getting both the Pontus and Artemis at a later date) to verify this, but I highly doubt that. Can you provide a link to said video?

Anyway, as a hardcore gamer who also builds his own high end gaming rigs...I'm not buying a DAC for gaming!!! That said, my current Teac UD-503 DAC connected to my PC via USB has zero issues with audio from games. However, the main purpose of the DAC is music :slight_smile:
The video review is "Denafrips Ares II R2R DAC Review - Do R2R DACs really sound better?"
at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66wb3D_kaCM&t=1s
and seemed like a positive review to me until you read some of his replies to comments where I get the impression he doesn't especially like R2R DACs. Anyway the "2/3 second" comment came from @andersonsampaio5133

Users who are viewing this thread

Back