Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #286 of 364
Only reason I would want to get the newer 12th-1 is for the silver exterior to match most of the other components in my speaker setup … but I would still have a black Iris … so not a big deal in my book … at the age of 58 I would be hard pressed to actually hear a noticeable difference between the original 12th w upgraded firmware verses the latest 12th-1 model

Jul 17, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #288 of 364
I’m curious if anyone has an opinion on the differences between the Area 12th (latest FW) vs the Bifrost 2/64?

I have them … I think the Bifrost is a bit more forward
Bifrost is more dynamic, so more forward presentation, but it is on expense of low level details among other things. There were comparisons with Ares 2, BF2 was always one level below.

Jul 19, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #289 of 364
After years of nearly pulling the trigger on an Ares II, I finally ordered the 12th-1 and it arrived yesterday. I already have a Holo Spring 3 KTE in my main headphone rig using HQ Player up-sampling and for the time being I have the Ares in my 2nd HP setup (using Mac OS) and will audition in my speaker setup next week.

I'm surprised at the weight with the new aluminum housing and my only nitpick so far is the phase control/button. The description of the two settings is confusing, I am assuming that "Positive" is for in-phase material and "Negative" is for 180 degrees out of phase? If that is the case, why would "Negative" be the default setting?

I have also sent an email to Denafrips asking if there is a firmware update.

I will comment on the sound much later.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #290 of 364
After years of nearly pulling the trigger on an Ares II, I finally ordered the 12th-1 and it arrived yesterday. I already have a Holo Spring 3 KTE in my main headphone rig using HQ Player up-sampling and for the time being I have the Ares in my 2nd HP setup (using Mac OS) and will audition in my speaker setup next week.

I'm surprised at the weight with the new aluminum housing and my only nitpick so far is the phase control/button. The description of the two settings is confusing, I am assuming that "Positive" is for in-phase material and "Negative" is for 180 degrees out of phase? If that is the case, why would "Negative" be the default setting?

I have also sent an email to Denafrips asking if there is a firmware update.

I will comment on the sound much later.
Congrats on your purchase! I will be curious to read what you think compared to your Holo Spring 3 KTE. I recommend running it for 100+ hours before critical sound judgement. Running it 24x7 for a week would do nicely. 👍😎

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #291 of 364
ARES 12th FW 1.8 UPDATE IS NOW OUT. Just upgraded mine step by step via the detailed instructions for MAC. Success!

Get it while it's hot :). Watch Alvin's video on YouTube and check for the link in the description.
Excuse my confusion.....is this the FPGA firmware from Denafrips? Does the firmware number start with a 1 or a 3?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #292 of 364
The description of the two settings is confusing, I am assuming that "Positive" is for in-phase material and "Negative" is for 180 degrees out of phase? If that is the case, why would "Negative" be the default setting?
I can't explain why '-' is default settings, but it is an absolute phase settings, not a relative between left and right channel. The later is easily recognised, positions of sounds on the stage cannot be clearly identified.

Refer to this post for explanation of the absolute phase, wind instruments are the best for testing, there are samples on Internet. If doubt, leave it in default settings.

Enjoy your Ares, keep it switched on for at least hundred hours before starting comparison sessions with Spring.

Jul 20, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #294 of 364
Hi all!
I will get my 12th today and I was wondering if I could burn-in the DAC by keeping it in standby mode or should I need to play music on it?
I played music on my Pontus, but that's a good question for Alvin...

Jul 20, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #295 of 364
Excuse my confusion.....is this the FPGA firmware from Denafrips? Does the firmware number start with a 1 or a 3?
It's confusing, it depends on the model. The 1.8 is for the Ares II /12.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #299 of 364
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #300 of 364
I did not compare the Ares 12th directly with the Ares II. I can only say with the Iris and the I2S connection to the Ares 12th, there was considerable difference compared to the Iris connected to the Ares II with the coaxial input.
And with an upscaling player like HQ Player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back