Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Mar 18, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #196 of 370
Does anyone know the settings for using the Denafrips Iris with the Ares12th anniversary edition.. ie what settings for the I2S

No US income tax for me this year…so I just ordered an sbooster & an Iris

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #201 of 370
Has anyone with a a DDC and I2S compared 192KHz with I2S verses 1536kHz on USB Input?

The Ares allegedly doesn't actually have a true NOS mode and the Vinshine info appears discredited:

1679177134465.png
https://www.denafrips.com/ares-12th

1679177272349.png

One way to defeat the internal oversampling is to use the USB to feed 1536kHz and at least control the oversampling filters with external apps.

If you use I2S can you please compare with USB x 1536kHz eg with PGGB? Thanks.

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #202 of 370
Has anyone with a a DDC and I2S compared 192KHz with I2S verses 1536kHz on USB Input?

The Ares allegedly doesn't actually have a true NOS mode and the Vinshine info appears discredited:
If you refer to a guy who claimed that Ares 12th use "simulated zero order hold" oversampling, there is no such term in the scientific literature. In fact (if really implemented), the output (for both waveform and FFT spectrum) is identical to the non-oversampling (ZOH or simply saying sample&hold) decoding method, so you don't need to worry about any sonic differences.

A term was used by a developer of a prank tool, Foobar 2000 extension. A tool does nothing, just increase sampling rate of the datastream or a file, a file size. However it can be used in this case to override the alleged Ares 12th "simulated zero order hold" engine. .LOL.

Better method than comparing with DDC, as DDC brings many more factors to the game.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #204 of 370
How is the latency compared to the original or something like the bifrost 2? I had an original ares ii and had to return it due to noticable latency with any of the inputs when watching video or using it for gaming. Got a bifrost 2, and many other dacs now but miss the ares ii soundstage.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #205 of 370
Question about using an Iris with the Ares 12th via I2S. My Iris will be delivered in a few days and I just wanted to know if I can just simply plug the cable in or will I need to manually configure the I2S settings on the Ares to line up the pins? I haven’t changed this setting as of yet.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #206 of 370
Question about using an Iris with the Ares 12th via I2S. My Iris will be delivered in a few days and I just wanted to know if I can just simply plug the cable in or will I need to manually configure the I2S settings on the Ares to line up the pins? I haven’t changed this setting as of yet.
You should be able to just plug it in. It is configured out of the box with PS Audio's specs (which are what Denafrips uses).

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #207 of 370
It can depend on your cable connections. Instructions are here
https://www.denafrips.com/config-ares-12th
Make sure you download the test tones. They are crucial to making sure both the PCM and DSD are both in the correct channel and in phase. Contact Alvin at Vinshine if you have questions. He posted a video about the process in the link.

Mar 21, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #208 of 370
I own a RME ADI-2 DAC and an Violectric V202 Headphone amp and use them with my Meze Elite. I like the RME very much but I want a little sidegrade with a bigger, deeper and more holographic soundstage. The Ares 12th came here in my mind and I would use it together with an Iris DDC, because I use a very niosy PC for music playback. Do you guys think it would be a worthy upgrade? Or would a Gustard A26 or R26 even be a better option, because Ares and Iris together are maybe a little bit more expensive than the Gustards.

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #209 of 370
How is the latency compared to the original or something like the bifrost 2? I had an original ares ii and had to return it due to noticable latency with any of the inputs when watching video or using it for gaming. Got a bifrost 2, and many other dacs now but miss the ares ii soundstage.
This isn't super scientific, but I just tested the latency using optical out from my Samsung LED TV going directly to my Denafrips Ares II (original) with the new 12th anniversary firmware installed and there was no audio delay/lip sync issues when watching the latest episode of the Mandalorian on Disney+. But I don't know if certain gaming applications would be more demanding. I never tested this before with the original firmware since I typically only use my Ares II to listen to music from a streamer.

Edit: Wrong thread. Sorry should have posted this in the original Ares II thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back