Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #181 of 364
Does anyone use either the IFI Zen Stream or the Neo Stream with their Ares 12th? Which type of connection do you find works the best for sound quality?

Just found out that both of my network streamers: Topping M50 and SMSL SD-9 have crosstalk issues … didn’t notice before in a speaker setup … seems to be a design flaw in the models
I use a Zen Stream and during the break-in process I kept going back and forth if the coax or USB output sounded best. I really wanted the USB to win out so I could use an Iris DDC to use the I2S connection into the Ares 12th, but in the end the coax output sounded best. The USB seemed to have a slightly larger soundstage, but it was less focused and had noticeably less detail. If IFI released a Zen Stream MKII with a HDMI I2S output I would buy one!

Mar 8, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #182 of 364
I have an Allo USBridge Signature coupled with their Shanti LPS. I took the plunge on the Iris DDS not expecting much (if any) improvement and was I ever pleasantly surprised. I cannot say if it is the reclocking that makes a difference or the I2S input on the Ares 12th... but the difference is stark.

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #183 of 364
I have an Allo USBridge Signature coupled with their Shanti LPS. I took the plunge on the Iris DDS not expecting much (if any) improvement and was I ever pleasantly surprised. I cannot say if it is the reclocking that makes a difference or the I2S input on the Ares 12th... but the difference is stark.
What were the big differences that you heard with the Iris especially when it comes to detail?

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #184 of 364
I had a BiFrost 2 previous to my Ares 12th. There was a trade-off. The Bifrost is a little bit more of a detail hound, but it was just too "energetic" for my speakers and room. The Ares softened things up a bit, but I really longed for something in between. The Iris accomplished just that. I would say that detail retrieval is much better, instrument spacing is better (they seem to be more in their own space now), but most of all, the edges are crisper and more defined. Attack is a bit sharper and the decay seems to go on forever. That may be a result of the inky black background. However, if you are craving more detail specifically, then the Iris really did make a difference. Detail retrieval is on par with the Bifrost 2, but it remains to be non-fatiguing (which the Bifrost did to me after about 30 minutes of listening).

Given that I thought I had gone to great lengths to ensure a solid, clean digital signal with the Shanti LPS, I was so very surprised to see any difference. My real goal was to use the I2S interface... or at least that is how I justified the purchase.

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #185 of 364
I really wanted the USB to win out so I could use an Iris DDC to use the I2S connection into the Ares 12th, but in the end the coax output sounded best.
When coax sounds better, it is a sign that you need to work on your USB connection. A simple device like iFi Defender can prove that USB sound better. If it does, then it is an argument for a DDC.

Mar 8, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #186 of 364
I have had IFI Zen Stream, SoTM Neo-200 and Rasberry Pi4 with Ropieee/Volumio. Using USB out via Audioquest Jitterbug. No difference in sound quality in these 3 variations for my systems. I prefer the Raspberry Pi4. Easy to auto-upgrade. Great sound and easy setup.
Same here having own all the above streamers. The differences are very subtle, the Zen Stream has more air using USB out, the Neo 200 has more body, the Pi4 with RopieeXL seemed to sit between the two. I repeat these differences are subtle. When i add the Jitterbug in the mix, the sound changed a little, midrange and vocals took a step more forward, noisefloor a little better, so details are better fleshed out, but bass seemed a little less controlled.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #187 of 364
Thanks everyone…

I think I will try an SMS-200 Neo Special Edition (copper wiring) along with a 12V iFi iPower Elite.

After that if I feel the need to tweak again then I could get the Denafrips Iris in order to use the I2S input on the Ares 12th

I will let you know what happens.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #188 of 364
Thanks everyone…

I think I will try an SMS-200 Neo Special Edition (copper wiring) along with a 12V iFi iPower Elite.

After that if I feel the need to tweak again then I could get the Denafrips Iris in order to use the I2S input on the Ares 12th

I will let you know what happens.
Just an FYI I have an Iris for sale if you are interested.

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #189 of 364
Can anyone comment on the difference between the using the XLR vs. RCA outputs as it pertains to sound quality? Is it true that when using the RCA outputs on Denafrips DACs that only 1/2 of the ladder is being utilized? Something about using only the ve+ side? Does this lead to a significant reduction in sound quality?

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #190 of 364
Can anyone comment on the difference between the using the XLR vs. RCA outputs as it pertains to sound quality? Is it true that when using the RCA outputs on Denafrips DACs that only 1/2 of the ladder is being utilized? Something about using only the ve+ side? Does this lead to a significant reduction in sound quality?
I just sold my Ares 12th and it sounded amazing, but wanted to move up the line to the pontus II as the venus was out of my budget. I have a Michi X3 which is not a fully balanced design, but it still sounded better using the Ares 12th with XLRs output using the exact same cables with both XLR & RCA connections. I did the same back and forth comparison with my Zen stream and found the coax output to sound better, but your preferences and gear are mostly likely different so the best option would be to test the XLR vs RCA output of the Ares 12th on your gear.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #191 of 364
I just sold my Ares 12th and it sounded amazing, but wanted to move up the line to the pontus II as the venus was out of my budget. I have a Michi X3 which is not a fully balanced design, but it still sounded better using the Ares 12th with XLRs output using the exact same cables with both XLR & RCA connections. I did the same back and forth comparison with my Zen stream and found the coax output to sound better, but your preferences and gear are mostly likely different so the best option would be to test the XLR vs RCA output of the Ares 12th on your gear.
My issue is that my amp only accepts RCA input, so it is not a matter of preference sadly, but necessity. It sounds like I would always be getting "not the best" from Denafrips.

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #192 of 364
My issue is that my amp only accepts RCA input, so it is not a matter of preference sadly, but necessity. It sounds like I would always be getting "not the best" from Denafrips.
It will still be good, but not it’s best performance. Anything that uses a fully balanced design will not sound it’s best through RCAs as additional circuitry is typically used to create the RCA output. I tried it both ways with my Michi because it is not fully balanced, but it still sounded best using XLRs. You really need to try out gear in your setup as I have read a ton of positive reviews of gear online only to be disappointed when it came into my setup. Buy used and sell at minimal loses to find your synergy in your setup.

Mar 17, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #193 of 364
I have switched over to a slightly better streaming source which only has USB output. The prior (much cheaper and buggy) streamer, I was using it’s I2S output into the Ares 12th.

Old: Topping M50
New: SOTM sMS-200 Neo SE

I really don’t think I would need to add a DDC (IRIS) in this situation?? .. diminishing returns & another box in my chain

Mar 17, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #194 of 364
I have switched over to a slightly better streaming source which only has USB output. The prior (much cheaper and buggy) streamer, I was using it’s I2S output into the Ares 12th.

Old: Topping M50
New: SOTM sMS-200 Neo SE

I really don’t think I would need to add a DDC (IRIS) in this situation?? .. diminishing returns & another box in my chain
I thought the same thing. I am using an Allo USBridge Signature with a linear power supply. I tossed around the idea of getting an Iris and after finding a quite reasonably priced used one, I took a chance. Figured I could sell it if it made no difference. There is no way I would part with it now. I am not sure if it is the DDC or the I2S interface, but the improvement is far greater than what I would have considered to be worth keeping it for. There is no single thing to point to, everything is just better across the board. I am not sure if the combo is as good as a Pontus or not, but I am not considering an upgrade any time soon. Worth noting that I am using the balanced outputs of the 12th to feed my Freya+. I have not tested against the SE outputs, so maybe the improvement would be less impressive if I did.

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #195 of 364
I thought the same thing. I am using an Allo USBridge Signature with a linear power supply. I tossed around the idea of getting an Iris and after finding a quite reasonably priced used one, I took a chance. Figured I could sell it if it made no difference. There is no way I would part with it now. I am not sure if it is the DDC or the I2S interface, but the improvement is far greater than what I would have considered to be worth keeping it for. There is no single thing to point to, everything is just better across the board. I am not sure if the combo is as good as a Pontus or not, but I am not considering an upgrade any time soon. Worth noting that I am using the balanced outputs of the 12th to feed my Freya+. I have not tested against the SE outputs, so maybe the improvement would be less impressive if I did.

Thanks … but first I need to get a sbooster LPS for the sms-200 … after that a DDC …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back