Demonstration of anti-skip quality
Jul 19, 2001 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 18
keep in mind that antiskip is using lossy compression. The whole basis of the comrpession is to remove everything that we can't percieve. Also, everything is stored in the frequency domain and reconstructed back into a wave in the decoding process. So after compression, the wave SHOULD be totally different from the original. Because of this, i think the only valid way of testing lossy compression is with listening tests....

Jul 20, 2001 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 18
Ok, here's a 1-1000 Hz sweep. The display is showing 0-3000 Hz, 0-30 seconds, sampled at 48 kHz.

Sweep3.jpg

These were all taken from the line-out of the CDP to the line-in on my SBLive! with the mixer set to maximum gain.

Jul 20, 2001 at 1:17 AM Post #18 of 18
Those lines sure look like harmonic distortion to me, but I don't have access to a CD burner at home so I can't make more usefull test-tones. Next time I've got a chance I'll make a big pile of different tones, anyone have any they'd like to see? The big "laser beam" effect at the end of the 1-22050 sweep is caused by aliasing. The vertical line when the sweep stops is an artifact of the spectogram software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back