Demonstrate faulty Olina cable in video without blasting my IEMs?
Jun 26, 2022 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Audio fledgling

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have a strange situation, the right to terminal on my relatively new Olina cable has failed. When I emailed the manufacturer about this, they would like a video of it. I know it's the cable, because when cable swapping, both earpieces work fine. The problem I'm having is I can't get my camera microphone, or my more sensitive blue snowflake microphone, to pick up the sound from the IEM's, at all when their set at a reasonable volume (even when touching the microphone).

Any advice? I don't want to harm the drivers, while demonstrating the faulty cable, by blasting them?

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Your phone won't pick up audio from the iems if it's held right up to them?

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 4
A cable can be tested with a multimeter in resistance or continuity mode. In continuity mode you connect the test leads to the two ends of a wire and get a sound signal of the it conducts electricity. In resistance mode you get either a near-zero value for a good wire and i infinity for a disrupted one.

Works well for a video.

Requires a multimeter and understanding of a headphone cable structure though.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 4
A cable can be tested with a multimeter in resistance or continuity mode. In continuity mode you connect the test leads to the two ends of a wire and get a sound signal of the it conducts electricity. In resistance mode you get either a near-zero value for a good wire and i infinity for a disrupted one.

Works well for a video.

Requires a multimeter and understanding of a headphone cable structure though.
Thanks! As soon as I read your post I knew exactly what you were talking about, a relative of mine has the necessary tester. I have picked up an upgrade cable in the interim, and my Olinas sounds much better now. That said, I'm definitely going to run the test and see if I can get a new cable on principle, because the one that shipped with my IEMs was definitely flawed out-of-the-box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back