Demo vs. Release version - Which is best and why?
May 20, 2022 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Trihexagonal

Headphoneus Supremus
Artist submit demo versions of songs that sometime differ greatly from the final release version on the album in lyrics, overall sound, etc. that some people might not be aware of. Which do you prefer and why?

1. Post a track of the demo version and the release version of the same song, by the same artist and name of the artist and song . Demo version first followed by the release.

2. Tell which version of the song you like best and the reason why. It can be as brief and blunt as "I like this version better" or as in depth as you have feelings about the song to put in print. Whether you like certain parts of one song but overall like one better, it's on you.

3. Keep it to 1 song per post to more easily enable others to comment on a particular song they're interested on or surprised to hear that version of. You can post as many times as you have songs to post.

I'll start with "Alice Cooper - Halo of Files" demo version and the version released on Killer. Then say which one I like best and why. Feel free to give your opinion.

I like the Killer version better.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear the demo version since it has completely different lyrics to a song I'd listened to since it came out in 1971. But those lyrics fall far short of the Killer version in intrigue and sense of danger. I liked the instrumentals in the demo version but the Killer version was better in that respect,, too.

May 20, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Maybe I am cheating, but I consider the John Peel session to be the "Demo" version

John Peel version:

Studio version:

I prefer the John Peel version, it is a lot more charming and melodic. And the guitar sounds a lot nicer.

May 20, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Dub War - Silencer

Demo :-

Released Version :-

I love the Demo Version, I have it from the Enemy Maker CD single. I have both versions but prefer the Demo version. It's just more stripped back and intimate. Differences are subtle but noticeable.

Beautiful song, melancholic but gorgeous.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back