DellTM S2209W , Is it worth it?
Jul 12, 2009 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

baneat

Head-Fier
Jul 20, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Dell S2409W? It's not got the kind of quality an expert /hardcore film viewer is after, but then again few TN panel monitors do. But it's very good considering the price and size. I got it for £200 months ago, don't know if its any cheaper now. Its also in a 16:9 aspect ratio meaning no black bars for films, which is neat. Similar specs to the one you posted though and and extra 2.5"

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Do you need the 1920x1080 resolution (i.e. do you plan on watching a lot of 1080p videos?)? If not, I would suggest Dell 2209WA, the IPS panel gives ridiculously wide viewing angle, definitely preferred to any TN panel I have seen. I am not sure about prices in the UK, but you can get one for just over $200USD in the states.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need the 1920x1080 resolution (i.e. do you plan on watching a lot of 1080p videos?)? If not, I would suggest Dell 2209WA, the IPS panel gives ridiculously wide viewing angle, definitely preferred to any TN panel I have seen. I am not sure about prices in the UK, but you can get one for just over $200USD in the states.

X2. The 2209WA is £240 but IPS is worth every penny in my opinion. You're basically getting the color and viewing angle of a pro CRT in a flat panel.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 7
I have the S2209W, and I greatly enjoy using it. The backlight on my laptop died, so I bought it so I can continue using my laptop. I use it for work -- excel spreadsheets, dual documents open (ctrl-click two windows> right-click> tile vertically), etc., and it works pretty well. I don't really game, so I have no complaints.

I do watch movies, and the 16:9 aspect ratio is pretty sweet. Moves are corner to corner. The only thing is that the sides along the screen are slightly lighter -- a little bit of backlight bleeding I suppose, but it's not really noticeable unless you're staring at a pitch-black screen for a long time. It's a really bright monitor (by the default settings), and it can light up my room at night.

That said, I got it for $139 (before tax/ free shipping), so I'm not complaining here. The 170 degree viewable angle is quite nice -- considering I'm looking at it inside a ~20 degree cone all the time. This is a TN monitor, and it is more than adequate for doing work. If you want the 178 degree viewing angle with nearly perfect color reproduction, then you should go for the IPS monitors for twice the price. I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back