Dell mini 9 question
Jun 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings. I basically use my mini to listen to music in the kitchen, I have it hooked up to a 19" wall mounted Toshiba, which helps a lot.
I am waiting for the Head Direct RE2 and Fiio combo to arrive and have transferred my favourite flac files to a 16 Gb USB thumb drive to make the mini my portable player for outside or the cottage or whatever.

As this is my first netbook/laptop ever I don't know if it is possible to keep the music playing if I close the clamshell? Ideally, it would be great to be able to slide the mini under my lounging chair and not have to keep it open.

Thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help.
confused.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 22
yep. You just need to go into power settings.

Right click on desktop and hit properties, or go to control panel and open display
go to screensaver
hit the power button in the bottom
there should be an option that says "when I close the lid", change that to "do nothing"
also in the "pluggen in" options, change everything to "do nothing" ie. hibernate, standby, shutdown, turn off hdd's, watever the list shows you, you can leave the "turn off display" option on if you want, but since you plan on closing the lid anyway, the display will automatically turn off, so no worries.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 22
I love this idea as a source for a dac amp. Do any of the dell netbooks have minitoslink? From what I have searched I can't find anything.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 22
No netbooks have miniToslink at this point, no. Just USB.

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 22
man I REALLY want like a new version of the N10 with optical. Heres to hoping. Would love to carry one around with me as a player/web browser/etc

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 22
Nov 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 22
OSX does still support the atom but it's reportedly flawed!

as for Windows 7 new netbooks come with the starter (basic) edition of 7 but it only runs 3 programs at any one time. I read a review where someone installed win7 ultimate on my model of netbook and aparently it ran very slowly, had poor battery performance and the aero interface wont work!

Thinking now maybe it's best to stick with XP.

Wondering what Linux will run like on my Dell? Though not sure what benefit that would give if any!

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by edart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OSX does still support the atom but it's reportedly flawed!

as for Windows 7 new netbooks come with the starter (basic) edition of 7 but it only runs 3 programs at any one time. I read a review where someone installed win7 ultimate on my model of netbook and aparently it ran very slowly, had poor battery performance and the aero interface wont work!

Thinking now maybe it's best to stick with XP.

Wondering what Linux will run like on my Dell? Though not sure what benefit that would give if any!

There is no application limit on windows 7 starter edition

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamcma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just got a lot harder for you: Apple killed support for the Atom processor in 10.6.2.

No they didn't. All they do is check the CPU ID string, and if it says "Atom" they refuse to run. There's a simple patch that changes that string to "Core Solo", and everything works again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The starter edition isn't limited to 3 programs. That was a "feature" in the early beta versions that Microsoft decided not to go through with. Also, Aero works on GMA950's just fine AFAIK. All it needs is Directx 9 support.

EDIT: I confirmed on two sites that the GMA950 that is in most netbooks does support Aero. It needs Directx 9 WHQL drivers, which have been available for Windows 7 since June. It's possible the review you read is from a pre-release version which doesn't represent the current state of things. The performance issues might have been because of not enough RAM. Windows 7 really needs 2 GB.

EDIT: BTW, if you'd like to install OSX on your Dell Mini, go here: http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/

I'm running Snow Leopard (10.6.1) on a Mini 9 and it's working perfectly. It's my primary headphone source, using an Icon Mobile as a USB DAC, and Songbird as a music player.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #15 of 22
Thank you for that link, I now have Snow Leopard 10.6.2 running on my Dell 10v
biggrin.gif

Any advice on free software for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back