Dell laptop owners **must read**
Aug 15, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
My Inspiron 8600 (top spec 3 years ago model) still runs strong for me, never fails, never crashes.

Great to hear yours works.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
amazing that with all the bad press they have gotten, i have never had problem one with my dell laptop......

I guess you're just a lucky guy... must be all that good karma you have stored up
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #21 of 52
My dell batteries weren't affected by the recall. I'm kind of disappointed in a way; maybe I just want some connection to a story...

Aug 16, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I love it! Now when people ask why I hate Dell, I can begin with "their computers will lite your house on fire!"
very_evil_smiley.gif

ROFLLOL!

Seriously though, this isn't the first time Sony messed up. I'de say this problem has a lot to blame on both companies though.

Aug 16, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
ROFLLOL!

Seriously though, this isn't the first time Sony messed up. I'de say this problem has a lot to blame on both companies though.

It has a lot to blame on greed, and cheap bastards who like building disposable computers (i.e. dispose of them before they burn your ass to the ground).

On another note, I think I spend too long at last weekend's Head-fi meet, look at how I spelled "light" in my previous post
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #25 of 52
Our only hope is now Thinkpad I guess....

P.S : But I still think that Dell is at least better than Gateway anyway... I hate my Gateway laptop.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
amazing that with all the bad press they have gotten, i have never had problem one with my dell laptop......

That is because every unit they build/produce is different
wink.gif

Congrats on your notebook, I would not keep it in your car or near your gas/furnace though..
cool.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh
Our only hope is now Thinkpad I guess...

I can't see Lenovo keeping the quality advantage over time - if their desktops are any sign, certainly not. But there isn't really a lack of good notebooks, anyway - there is plenty of proper stuff from Asus, Acer, BenQ, Fujitsu Siemens, LG, MSI, Samsung, Toshiba & Co. and there's also no lack of proper barebones to be customized by smaller notebook companies. Heck, even some Elitegroups work much better than exspected.
evil_smiley.gif

As for the original topic, I guess, apart from financial loss, their reputation will not really suffer for long, if they handle the replacements well. From a customer viewpoint: Better to receive a necessary replacement for free from a big company that has to care for their reputation than having to pay for the same to some small oem customizer who doesn't even sell enough to uncover serial bugs...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Your comment is an unfair statement of sorts..as many MANY notebook Manufacturers, HP, IBM, and Apple, all use these same OEM Sony batteries and without caveat...

How about it is the cheap components overheating internally to the Dell Notebook and the battery is overpowering the system...(what is really happening in some instances)..accept some rap Dell, it is coming..

Check your biases at the door. Fact checking may also be in order.

The US Consumer Safety Agency just ordered a review of ALL Sony lithium ion batteries made between April 2004 and June 2006.

Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Associated Press
Battery packs contain cells of rolled up metal strips. During production, crimping the rolls left tiny shards of metal loose in the cells, and some of those shards caused batteries to short-circuit, according to Sony.

Yeah, that really sounds like Dell's fault to me.
rolleyes.gif

As for other companies' recalls, Apple and HP have had major battery recalls involving Sony supplied batteries in this time frame. Apple recalled it's initial batch of MacBook Pros for exploding batteries. It also recalled a lot of G4 laptop batteries (after 6 confirmed events of thermal runaway). HP also did a similiar LIon recall not too long ago.

/Outsourcing comments removed as they aren't relevant to this discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back