Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop . . . SinglePower MPX3
Feb 17, 2006 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NewMexiCat

100+ Head-Fier
I need some recommendations on connecting these two to make some beautiful music on my HD650's.

I've read and studied, but I'm confused as to the multitude of options and would like some recommendations on a good DAC ($1K or less) that will complement my MPX3. I love the full bodied warmth of the MPX3, but I don't want to sacrifice too much detail. However, my previous foray into computer audio produced a somewhat thin and sterile sound (when a Grace m902 was my all-in-one solution), and I want to avoid going back to that result.

Seeing that my laptop is the source, I will likely go the USB route, but I can't decide whether to get a USB DAC or use an ordinary DAC with something like the M-Audio Transit. Also, my laptop has a docking station with an SPDIF out (coax). Is that a potential option, or should I avoid the laptop's cheap SigmaTel soundcard?

Any and all guidance is most appreciated!

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 7
Considering the somewhat compromised design of most USB DACs at this point, I'd say going the USB soundcard -> regular DAC route would be better (unless you want to go with the new Scott Nixon USB dac, which uses a better design than typical USB DACs). An advantage is that you generally have a better sound driver with more controls and options should you need them. Don't completely discount the ouput from your laptop's dock, if you can test it, and find it not to resample or alter the bits it could be a solution. My laptop has a "cheap" Realtek codec, but it has a bit-perfect optical output, so it is possible to find a pretty decent digital out on a laptop.

Regardless of the method you choose as a transport, the DAC decision is another one unto itself. I don't know the flavor of your current source, so it is hard to recommend a specific DAC, but there are enough out there so that you could certainly find what you're looking for. I agree that the Grace 902 doesn't exactly have the best DAC around, and the neutral nature of its headphones amp only reinforces that lacking when compared with a better DAC.

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
use an ordinary DAC with something like the M-Audio Transit. Also, my laptop has a docking station with an SPDIF out (coax). Is that a potential option, or should I avoid the laptop's cheap SigmaTel soundcard?

They won't give a clean enough signal and won't do justice to the MPX3. The Headroom Micro DAC is well known. It's only $299, which I think is actually a real bargain. Alternatively, there is the $500 E-MU 1616M.

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Considering the somewhat compromised design of most USB DACs at this point, I'd say going the USB soundcard -> regular DAC route would be better (unless you want to go with the new Scott Nixon USB dac, which uses a better design than typical USB DACs).

I am very intrigued with the Scott Nixon USBTD, but I don't want to be the guinea pig! (or the hamster, sorry EdWood)

Quote:

An advantage is that you generally have a better sound driver with more controls and options should you need them.

Hence my mention of the Transit. Proven ASIO compatibility and can handle up to 24/96 bitrate/sampling. Is there any advantage to going with something more expensive for my USB to Toslink conversion (i.e. less jitter), or am I better off putting more money in a DAC that reduces jitter effectively?

Quote:

Don't completely discount the ouput from your laptop's dock, if you can test it, and find it not to resample or alter the bits it could be a solution. My laptop has a "cheap" Realtek codec, but it has a bit-perfect optical output, so it is possible to find a pretty decent digital out on a laptop.

I will experiment with the laptop digital out. If I can get bit-perfect output, that is certainly the easiest solution.

Quote:

Regardless of the method you choose as a transport, the DAC decision is another one unto itself. I don't know the flavor of your current source, so it is hard to recommend a specific DAC, but there are enough out there so that you could certainly find what you're looking for.

My current source (after mods) has a warm, forward quality to it, which I love, but probably sacrifices a bit in detail in the upper end. I've been considering a used bel canto DAC2 as a possible solution. I have heard one once, and thought is was very musical. Also, they are showing up on Audiogon a bit cheaper than they used to, probably because the DAC3 is right around the corner.

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
They won't give a clean enough signal and won't do justice to the MPX3. The Headroom Micro DAC is well known. It's only $299, which I think is actually a real bargain. Alternatively, there is the $500 E-MU 1616M.

When you say the laptop digital out is not "clean", are you talking jitter or power-related noise issues?

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
When you say the laptop digital out is not "clean", are you talking jitter or power-related noise issues?

I think he is probably referring to the analog output of the soundcard. The digital probably has a bit more jitter than say an RME card would, but I don't think it is much worth being concerned with. I do think that anything much more than a transit or the like would be better of spent on a better DAC. The bit perfect matter is what will kill it or not.

I think the Micro DAC is a pretty good deal for the sound quality you get, but it still uses the sub-par method of USB transfer (i.e. USB->SPDIF->I2S->DAC), and the MPX3 is revealing enough to benefit from a higher class of DAC like those you are considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back