Dell DJ- why are they not popular?
Jun 26, 2004 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
I mean comparing with more expensive Rio Karma or Iriver IHP. I know Zen is considered best in price/value but not in it's bulkiness. Dell DJ is Zen in more stylish and compact case with very good battery life. So why aren't they as popular as they should? Is there any issue or something wrong about the DJ?

Jun 26, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 19
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

First off... Dell DJ was Dell's response to the iPod. So it was sorta a rip off...
Not only that, Dell didn't even design the DJ themselves.

Now why don't people choose the DJ? Well... Dell is more experienced in computers, not audio devices... as Creative as been doing for a long time, and has a solid reputation in that area. Same goes for the other companies.

Jun 26, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sczervok
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

First off... Dell DJ was Dell's response to the iPod. So it was sorta a rip off...
Not only that, Dell didn't even design the DJ themselves.

Now why don't people choose the DJ? Well... Dell is more experienced in computers, not audio devices... as Creative as been doing for a long time, and has a solid reputation in that area. Same goes for the other companies.

a rip off the iPod? hardly. It looks nothing like it.

and it is Dell's design (appearance), Creative did the _engineering_

Jun 26, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 19
oops... well, not exactly rip off... but they got the idea to make it from Apple's actions. Or response to Apple's actions... Or something like that.

Engineering? Design? Ok, I guess differences there... I'm not too keen on the jargon of that field. But whatever you say.

Jun 26, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 19
The DJ is not popular because it is signed with the DELL name. That just makes it feel a little cheap. After all, Dell is known for making bang for the buck PC's, but that is not what the DAP buyers want....look at the Ipod, which is the most expensive DAP, but manages to be the most popular also.

Jun 26, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 19
is it the Dell DJ that plays albums in alphabetical order even when the track numbers in the id3 tags are correct? or is that the Gateway...

and so what if the DJ was in response to the iPod...that's how capitalism works.

Jun 26, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 19
Maybe because it was marketed as a cheap solution for people who can't afford the iPod...
It was like: "well if you can't afford the real thing, our is just as good"

Jun 26, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman
Maybe because it was marketed as a cheap solution for people who can't afford the iPod...
It was like: "well if you can't afford the real thing, our is just as good"

biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

I thought the Dell DJ wasn't as popular because of availability? The only place i know it has been for sale is from Dell....

If that logic was true, Dell wouldn't be the #1 selling PC maker, would they?
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by asemisldkfj
is it the Dell DJ that plays albums in alphabetical order even when the track numbers in the id3 tags are correct?

That was a bug in the MusicMatch portable device manager that affected tracks transferred to the DJ with MusicMatch. A fix is long since available. It was never an issue with tracks transferred to the DJ with either DJ Explorer or Dudebox.

I hate to be a 40-something fanboy, but actually, I kinda love my DJ . . . of course I spend more time listening to it than I do to my partner . . .

Jun 27, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chazas
of course I spend more time listening to it than I do to my partner . . .

Oh no! That can't be!! ^^

Jun 27, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 19
I think it is not that popular because it is not the best (nor outstanding), not well advertised, or not that beautiful. Many people are decieved by looks and not by features (what many people look at in iPods)

Jun 27, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoox2
If that logic was true, Dell wouldn't be the #1 selling PC maker, would they?
tongue.gif

Eh....not a completely fair comparison....keep in mind that the majority of Dell's sales are going to be corporate/high volume sales, meaning that Comcast isn't going to go down to Best Buy to buy 200 computers. Now they are doing more business than HP or IBM and such, but the average person is not going to explicitly order their computer from HP etc.

Also, considering that the Karma is readily available online for <~$250 the DJ is not 'that' much cheaper.

Jun 27, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Eh....not a completely fair comparison....keep in mind that the majority of Dell's sales are going to be corporate/high volume sales, meaning that Comcast isn't going to go down to Best Buy to buy 200 computers. Now they are doing more business than HP or IBM and such, but the average person is not going to explicitly order their computer from HP etc.

True. However, remember that the Ipod was a huge seller even before you could buy it at brick and mortar stores regularly. For a while, you had to buy it from Apple direct, and it still sold better than everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back