dell dj and akg 240s
Apr 9, 2004 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eMpAtHy

100+ Head-Fier
i was wondering if the dell dj has enough power to power 55 ohms..i dont think it has enough power to power my er6's but i was wondering how it was with 55 ohms..or does anyone know the exact ohms it can produce at 20mwh..or does anyone have headphones around 100 dollars that sound really good..like alessandro ms1's...i dont think i really want a really high high end..so u can scratch sr60 and sr80's off the list...i dont want super big things like sennheisers either..even tho the 240's are a little big..but i think something in that size will do..unless they are REALLY big..then someone let me know...i think im done with canalphones..and beyer's seem a little too expensive..since the only one in my price range would be the dt331's which dont seem very good..dont want the portapro's..or the px200's..basically..open or semiopen headphones..

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 9
woh.. stream of consciousness?

but yeah it will power up to 100 ohm headphones. Tested with several models from Senn MX500's to Etymotic ER4S (see my sig).

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 9
but would it have enough power to fully power the akg 271's..because the sr80's are like 32 ohms and they require and amp..or would i get like 90% of the 271's potential without an amp...

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by eMpAtHy
but would it have enough power to fully power the akg 271's..because the sr80's are like 32 ohms and they require and amp..or would i get like 90% of the 271's potential without an amp...

no, grado sr80's do NOT require an amp to be used with most portables. some people say it sounds better with an amp, and while it does help, that adds a lot of bulk for a portable setup and is really not needed.

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 9
so to reiterate, the dell dj will power the akg 271's without problems? so, i dont need to return my dj..and pay more money for something..for example, something with a line out..im thinking of getting the alessandro ms1's since skitlets, whom i'm living with are very happy with those. i will hopefully get some time to listen to it, shoot i know i will
smily_headphones1.gif
but if i like it im going to pick up those, but if the 271's can be powered fine by the dell dj then i might pick up the 271's and if i dont like it i can always return them and get the ms1's instead.

so if it can power it without problems just say yes, if not, just say no
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Do you intend to use the headphones in public? If so, I'd say try something more portable than the 240s. Even though they are average size for full-sized cans, you'd look dorky wearing them in public. If it's for home use, don't worry about the size.

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 9
empathy: If you can stretch your budget a bit, I'd recommend to check the Beyerdynamic DT440 - a fairly efficient new Groovalizer. But you could also save quite a bit and just try the Creative HQ-1300 (or the Labtec Elite 840 which seems to be essentially the same headphone) - it sounds surprisingly nice for the price (~ 25 Euro over here) and probably deserves to be titled "most priceworthy Groovalizer".

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back