DEll DJ 15gig or a Apple iPod 15gig?
Jun 6, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 12
I know I'm vain, but personally I'd pay the $100 just for the design and user interface.

Happy shopping!
eggosmile.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Personally I don't think it is. You pay $100 more for a player with half the battery life and it doesn't even turn off? I'll take the Dell please
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 12
i had this dilemna, and i had to go $100 more into debt for the ipod.

worth every penny

if you get the dj, you will ALWAYS be wanting more. ppl who bitch about the battery and are not owners are idiots. if 8 hours is enough for you (i get 7 1/2 with use) then get it.

Jun 6, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Is it worth the extra 100 bucks for the iPod?

Frankly asking this question here, is pretty useless as you'll generally get the Apple replies: "Oh yeah,$100 is nothing for this brilliant piece of equipment" and the non Apple replies: "Oh nah the iPod is *reason1* *reason2* worse than the DJ, i don't think it's worth it"

Best thing is for you, to go out and try -both- players. There's only so much you can learn through other people's opinion of things.

Jun 7, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 12
If you need the extra features of the iPod (PDA functions, games), like lots of accessories and 8 hours of battery is fine with you, go with the iPod.

If you want double the battery life (16 hours) and would like features such as FM radio, and recordable FM and voice (which are available via an optional FM wired remote), the go with the Dell DJ.

Unfortunately, you can’t try the Dell DJ in a store (it's only available from dell.com), so you’ll have to read reviews about it only.

Ah, decisions decisions.

confused.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 12
Personally, I think the iPod is worth the premium cost, but it's really up to the individual user. Do you want the style and ease-of-use of the iPod? Or do you just want a cheap player with lots of features?

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 12
My first HD MP3 player was an IHP 100..loads of features and didn't use ANY of them. My music is a little off the beaten path, so I don't really even have any interest in a radio. On a whim picked up an Ipod Mini when they first came out, and fell instantly in love. I don't know if it's the 30 mW/channel on the Ipod, but to these ears the sound was infinitely fuller and more listenable. And there's something to be said about elegance, form, and ease of use.

Have since picked up the 15 GB version because I've moved to all Apple Lossless files. There is a difference when you start throwing out high end information to save space, and it's a compromise I just can't settle for. I've employed a good approach suggested by Bangraman, by using smart lists on my minIpod. Essentially they're playlists created from your Itunes library a la a searchable database (an automatically updated playlist that's generated by parameters you set such as myrating, album, etc.). My minIpod only holds my newest albums (they're the only ones I give a five star "rating"), while my 3G 15GB is getting filled up with the balance of my music collection...as I proceed to re-rip it to AL.

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 12
I can't speak about the Dell because I've never used one, but I do like my iPod. For me it leaves nothing to be desired. I have a Belkin battery pack for when I have long trips so battery life isn't really a problem (14-15 hours on a set of 4 AA batteries). With the Ety ER4-P's it's the bee's knees
etysmile.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9956
i had this dilemna, and i had to go $100 more into debt for the ipod.

worth every penny

if you get the dj, you will ALWAYS be wanting more. ppl who bitch about the battery and are not owners are idiots. if 8 hours is enough for you (i get 7 1/2 with use) then get it.

in all honesty, im not ALWAYS wanting more. im perfectly satisfied with my dell. the dell player is VERY easy to use, with a scroll wheel much akin to that of the apple, tho not as sleek, i admit. it is still very good none the less. i pocketed the $100 and bought myself ms-1. couldnt be happier with my decision. and the dell is not a "cheap player with lots of features". just because the dell is $100 cheaper DOESN'T mean its a worse player. it just makes it that much better of a deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back