dell axim x30, x50, shuffle little-bity unscientific listening test :)
Apr 1, 2006 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
so i'm listening to both an axim x30 and an ipod shuffle right now. i'm not going to get much into it, keep it simple. i'm listening to 198kbps on the shuffle, and the highest possible VBR WMA on the axim. i don't even want to try to find the same songs, but i really don't have too. i had really wanted to just have my axim as my audio player, but the shuffle sounds so much better with my grado sr60's that i simply can't justify using the axim. listening to THE BAND on the axim, so i "shuffled" till i found another band song on the shuffle. anyway, there's no contest. perhaps using a better media player, crossfeed, EQ or whatever on the axim it might help, but it can't make up for all the hiss and crappy dac/amp. it's not unlistenable, it's ok, but it's not enticing. i'd find myself listening if i really needed something to listen to, but with the shuffle i didn't want to stop. contest isn't close.

now let's see if i can find my x50 i have laying around and compare

ok, got the x50 synced and now i'm loading songs...............the truth to come soon..............tell you one thing: it is mega slow to load songs onto this thing. i don't think that would matter much as i'd probably just copy and paste........but...ok. time to listen

ok the x50 is tons better than the x30 as expected. now is it enough to keep it as my main audio player..........hummm seems possible right now..........sounds good; i'm thinking it's not quite up to par with the shuffle though.........time to listen more...

now i have to decide whether i want to seem my songs or not and if i want to use my axim as my main audio player....

as of now i think the shuffle is still much better than the x50, even using a lower bitrate as it is....humm

ok i have a verdict: the shuffle tramples them both. the x50 is a capable player, but the shuffle is something else. it trounces my h120 with rockbox as well (
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
), anyway, this little stick of gum is just trying so dang hard to be a "real" audio source. it's not quite there to be sure, but it's so good i can hardly believe it. i'm keeping it. i think i'll keep the x30 for my pda usage, just get smaller mem card.

i'd say x30 <<<<< x50 <<< shuffle

the shuffle just adds that extra musicality and beauty to where i'm really listening to it right now. if anything is the test this is: i turned off the pda's, am listening to the shuffle, and i don't find myself desperately grabbing for my home source. it's beautiful. believe the hype. surely it can't compete with a decent home source, but the darn thing is just TRYING SO HARD!!! it's a real beautiful sounding player, period.

i'd honestly go the matt for this player's rep. it's for real. just to say what i've listened to: iriver h120, 2nd and 3rg G ipods, dell dj, and these axims. i haven't heard the newest ipod so cannot possibly assess the question of which sounds better (and i'm very thankful i don't have to!!!!!!!ha hah ha ha)

i picked up this 1gb shuffle on ebay for $65 shipped lightly used (got pretty lucky). if you look around now that they've dropped the retail, you can pick them up for a song. i'll say this as well: the #1 thing that makes no-screen acceptable is the AUTOFILL feature in itunes. it's a joke that you can't do this with the other ipods (sucks). just plugging it in, hitting "autofill" and it's all my music so i know it's all good. one gripe is: can't shuffle by album; that also sucks

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi there,

The dell axim x50v (which I have, in fact has the same sound chip as the ipods). Note though, there is mixer software out there, and I'm talking about about hardware mixer which allows many many many good things that are better for the hardware. The features are treble, bass, 3d (sound seperation)
I believe its emulaor's mixer. If you send your e-mail (pm), I'll be glad to send you the file.
I have the ipod 3rd gen and the nano, and found the axim is equivalent if not better with the hardware tweaks.

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 11
I have had the same experiance as timcodes with my X50v and now my X51v. I've listened to iPods (3G, 4G, 5G, Mini, Nano, but not the Shuffle) and it's been better than all of them, though only marginally with the 5G. I use X50mix also and it has proved to be invalueble. also other music-playing apps (like iPlay) have 10-20 band EQ that work wonders. another thing I love is the powerful amp; it's MUCH more powerful than any current DAP on the market.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 11
Today I was listening to my X50v for the first time. I didn't think it sounded as good as my old Dell DJ. BUT, the only player I have in the Axim is that crappy Windows media player. I was using the same MP3 files that I use in the DJ. It isn't so bad that I couldn't use it, it's just that I prefer the DJ. For phones I am using Sensaphonics IEMs.

Yeah, adding music to the Axim is the slowest thing I have ever seen on a computer. I am going to just add music to the SD card via my card reader, then let the software find it.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 11
i'm ending up selling all the axims so it's no a null-issue
smily_headphones1.gif
definitely pda's have a lot going for them in the area of software possibiliites; that is nice

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
the shuffle just adds that extra musficality and beauty to where i'm really listening to it right now, but the darn thing is just TRYING SO HARD!!! it's a real beautiful sounding player, period.

wait till you hear the ipod radio remote

heard it sound much better than the shuffle

May 12, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwap
wait till you hear the ipod radio remote

heard it sound much better than the shuffle

when you say "you heard" you don't really mean you "heard it yourself", do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back