Dell 20.1'' wide-aspect LCD
Jan 12, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #16 of 29
Something you may want to consider. I had a fx5200 and a dell 2005fpw and ran into a bunch of problems. On DVI, the monitor would not always turn on when it should. Some times at bootup, the monitor wouldn't come on until the windows logon screen was up. In addition, sometimes the monitor would not detect a signal after exiting a game and just stay off. cycling through the inputs on the monitor never helped either. Usually, I'd either have to restart the computer (window key, up, enter, etc...) or disconnect the DVI cable from the video card and plug it back in (worked sometimes). It was a pain. Everything seemed okay on VGA but it looked like crap compared to DVI (especially at the 1680x1050 native res). Thinking that ,naturally, it must be a monitor problem (since it was the newest piece of the puzzle and I had no problems with the card and my 19" crt) I requested a replacement from Dell. The new one arrived and much to my surprise, it did the exact same thing. After scouring the internet, I finally found one or two forum messages from other people with similar problems and the same fx5200+2005fpw combo. They seemed to think it was the card. So I ordered an ATI Radeon 9600 (similarly priced to the fx5200) and never any of the problems again. I recently just upgraded computers and am now running the 2005fpw on a 7800GT and having no problems. It just seemed like the DVI output on my FX5200 just couldnt drive the 2005FPW correctly.

That was my experience, take it for what its worth.

Edit: oh and the 2005FPW is an excellent monitor. I love mine.

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
Something you may want to consider. I had a fx5200 and a dell 2005fpw and ran into a bunch of problems. On DVI, the monitor would not always turn on when it should. Some times at bootup, the monitor wouldn't come on until the windows logon screen was up. In addition, sometimes the monitor would not detect a signal after exiting a game and just stay off. cycling through the inputs on the monitor never helped either. Usually, I'd either have to restart the computer (window key, up, enter, etc...) or disconnect the DVI cable from the video card and plug it back in (worked sometimes). It was a pain. Everything seemed okay on VGA but it looked like crap compared to DVI (especially at the 1680x1050 native res). Thinking that ,naturally, it must be a monitor problem (since it was the newest piece of the puzzle and I had no problems with the card and my 19" crt) I requested a replacement from Dell. The new one arrived and much to my surprise, it did the exact same thing. After scouring the internet, I finally found one or two forum messages from other people with similar problems and the same fx5200+2005fpw combo. They seemed to think it was the card. So I ordered an ATI Radeon 9600 (similarly priced to the fx5200) and never any of the problems again. I recently just upgraded computers and am now running the 2005fpw on a 7800GT and having no problems. It just seemed like the DVI output on my FX5200 just couldnt drive the 2005FPW correctly.

That was my experience, take it for what its worth.

Edit: oh and the 2005FPW is an excellent monitor. I love mine.

Interesting, thank you. Well, I didn't want to upgrade my card with a $200+ card right now, so I might get the 9600 for right now like you said. I'll wait and see if I have problems.

I'll probably get this if I have to. Would the PRO or XT version be of any advantage?

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #18 of 29
BOL: Good choice of monitor (I've got both the 2005FPW and the 2405FPW) - and it's really helluva bright, if needed. I'm especially fond of the multiple video inputs & pip functions - and it's also nice to have several scaling options for displaying lower resolutions. In addition, I'm even more fond of the fact, that I couldn't find any dead pixel (neither on the 2005, nor on the 2405).

Regarding the graphics card: That Sapphire you're considering would certainly be a good budget choice, if you experience any trouble with your GF5200. The Pro and XT versions would be a tad faster, but not by so much, that many modern games would be playable in the monitor's native resolution, if it doesn't already work with the standard 9600. Whereas a GF6600GT would be quite a bit faster than that - it's more or less the best middle class card on the market at the moment in terms of price/performance (though I'm not sure about ATI's X1600s yet...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
BOL: Good choice of monitor (I've got both the 2005FPW and the 2405FPW) - and it's really helluva bright, if needed. I'm especially fond of the multiple video inputs & pip functions - and it's also nice to have several scaling options for displaying lower resolutions. In addition, I'm even more fond of the fact, that I couldn't find any dead pixel (neither on the 2005, nor on the 2405).

Regarding the graphics card: That Sapphire you're considering would certainly be a good budget choice, if you experience any trouble with your GF5200. The Pro and XT versions would be a tad faster, but not by so much, that many modern games would be playable in the monitor's native resolution, if it doesn't already work with the standard 9600. Whereas a GF6600GT would be quite a bit faster than that - it's more or less the best middle class card on the market at the moment in terms of price/performance (though I'm not sure about ATI's X1600s yet...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Cool, thanks. I heard mixed reviews about the FX 5200 and the 2005FPW combo with a little searching. I'm wondering if it has to do with manufacturer. Mines an MSI, so we'll see.

My big upgrade (down the road) will either be 6600GT or a Radeon x850PRO, depending on how much I can spend at the time

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
newegg has awesome prices on the 6600GT right now. The lowest I found was $120.00

Doesnt get any better than that for the money...

Hmm, does it really matter what manufacturer? Because I did notice and like this one.

I just don't want to dish another $100 out right now, so hopefully my FX 5200 works out. =-/

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I run HL2 (note, with lowest graphics settings) at my Sony HT75's native resolution of 1280x768 and it works just fine with my Athlon XP 1.4 and GF6800...I know, it's a weird matchup. It should work fine as long as you have a more powerful CPU than I do (meaning one that's not 5 years old).

scarily enough, thats EXACTLY what I have running. Except I overclocked the CPU to 1.55 ghz.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
Hmm, does it really matter what manufacturer? Because I did notice and like this one.

I just don't want to dish another $100 out right now, so hopefully my FX 5200 works out. =-/

eVGA is an awesome brand. Just check out their warranty and their tolerance towards OCing related issues...RMAs are a breeze with them. Longest warranty in the business...with quality as well.

That is the exact same card that I have in my backup desktop right now. It plays HL2 and CS:S like a dream. I dont plwy HL2 on it though - saving that experience for my MAIN rig with the 7800GT and Opteron 165.

The 6600GT will trounce the 5200 in every area - I would check the benchmarks and reviews before making a decision. Even if the 5200 only costs $50.00 - it will be $50.00 wasted if you cant play the new and cool games with any level of acceptable visual quality.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
eVGA is an awesome brand. Just check out their warranty and their tolerance towards OCing related issues...RMAs are a breeze with them. Longest warranty in the business...with quality as well.

That is the exact same card that I have in my backup desktop right now. It plays HL2 and CS:S like a dream. I dont plwy HL2 on it though - saving that experience for my MAIN rig with the 7800GT and Opteron 165.

The 6600GT will trounce the 5200 in every area - I would check the benchmarks and reviews before making a decision. Even if the 5200 only costs $50.00 - it will be $50.00 wasted if you cant play the new and cool games with any level of acceptable visual quality.

Well I already have the FX 5200, it was what I put in my system when I frist built it 5-7 months ago. I am more and more leaning toward the 6600GT for upgrading though. =-)

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #25 of 29
a little OT, but to all the 2005fpw owners,
is there a program or something that recognizes when the monitor is used as a landscape or portrait so that it automatically switches between the two? having to go into properties>advanced.... is a hassle.

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #26 of 29
Jan 13, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
Well I already have the FX 5200, it was what I put in my system when I frist built it 5-7 months ago. I am more and more leaning toward the 6600GT for upgrading though. =-)

I had no intention of making you worry about the fx5200/2005fpw combo, just trying to save you the headache I went though.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
I had no intention of making you worry about the fx5200/2005fpw combo, just trying to save you the headache I went though.
biggrin.gif

Haha, it's cool, I appreciate it because if I do have a problem I'll know what's up.

Jan 14, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #29 of 29
I just went ahead and got the Sapphire Radeon 9600 256MB card because it was an awesome prce and I didn't want to be out a lot of money if I ever did decide to upgrade my mobo (AGP will probably be extinct).

But about ATI drivers, should I consider getting the DNA drivers or just the ones off ATI's site or what? I know the ones on the disc are going to be way out dated so I won't even bother with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back