Deleting things by accident on your computer (help!)
Mar 10, 2006 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

antiant

Banned
ok here's the problem i accidently (don't even know what or how i did this, to tell you the truth) deleted some MAJOR and IMPORTANT files on my external harddrive and apparently they are all gone
mad.gif
, they aren't even in the recycle bin it just bypassed that completely and are now gone...is there any program or way to retrieve the lost information? any help would be GREATLY appreciated...i'm just at a lost for words on how much i lost right now, it's unbelievable

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 10
First and foremost, don't add anything to that hard drive! The data isn't actually deleted is just sitting there waiting to be overwritten.. As far as a program to recover deleted files, I don't know. It'll be tough to find something for free, but I'll see if I can dig up something...

JD

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 10
yeah what i was thinking is taking it into a computer repair shop or something to retrieve back the info...funny thing is the external drive isn't even showing it in the "my computer" section anymore it's as if i just bought it new again and waiting for me to re-setup again...damn this sucks...would this "lost" info be on the external harddrive or my main computers internal harddrive? (being that i guess i deleted it...wouldn't the deleted files go into the recycle bin or bypass in this case and still be there hidden on my main computer's harddrive? argh i just want my stuff back
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Whatever gets deleted my you should go to the recycle bin.Now the drive letter of whatever the hard drive is gone could be fixed if you go to the hard drive makers site and see what they have to say about it like a software patch or something like that.

I once has my brand new maxtor 300gb drive erase EVERYTHING on it without me doing a thing and and without warning.To this day i contribute it to a bad formating (just a guess).I ended up useing file scavenger and i recovered everything i wanted.

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 10
Good luck:

http://www.webattack.com/get/restoration.html

My friend was able to use this to recover deleted photos from a compact flash card. When files get deleted, usually just something like the 1st number in its ID sequence gets rewritten, which is why you can recover deleted files or the government can bust people who thought they deleted stuff on their hard drives. You might be able to use this to get your stuff. As someone else said, don't use that external drive... changes or additions will be rewriting over the info on the disk.

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 10
ok yeah mines a maxtor 320gb and well at first after this happened all i saw was 40 or so songs out of 15,000!
mad.gif
and then my stupid computer froze which meant i had to start and restart (i heard that doing this may make it worse for recovery?), but since i restarted now all of sudden as mentioned the drive is no where in my "my computer" section, so what do i do? do i set-up my drive like it's brand new again? or do i use the recovery programs first? i'm sorry, but this is new to me so i'm on a limb here trying to get all the info i can, i've had people tell me that forget about it, it's gone while others say that i can still get my info...btw at the time what i was doing was deleting songs off my dap and putting new songs in there, so i had both applications open, then on accident i clicked over to the right somewhere and all of a sudden it went haywire on my ass and all i saw was 40 or so songs remaning, wondering What happened, i mean i know i didn't delete them because a prompt would have shown up reassuring like normal, but apparently that wasn't the case

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 10
question: how can i use these programs if my drive which was G: btw is no longer shown in the "my computer" section? for example, in order to get the drive to show again i would have to reconfigure and or re-setup the drive like brand new, wouldn't this mess with the information deleted? or no, so long as i don't add anything onto it? if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it, so far i have a few programs i just need to know the steps on how to apply them, i mean how can i scan a drive if the drive is not being shown?

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 10
no, most likely the thing just flat out "broke" on me...at any rate i tried to recover some of the music i had and i found some of it, however when i tried to play it, it was all messed up and or other music was intertwined with other music therefore it wouldn't play the full and or complete track it was chimpmunk sounding, beeps etc and wouldn't play, i wonder why? this is so frustrating, i see parts and bits of my music library but when i "recover" it, all of a sudden it doesn't want to play maybe there's something i have to do before i actually try and play it directly?

edit: well looks like i found out the answer to my own question the reason why it doesn't play is because it's in poor condition and or partially damaged
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back