[deleted]
Nov 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

100+ Head-Fier
Since I made so many threads, I thought I'd update on what I ended up getting.

I was pondering for a long time between the Philips Fidelio X2 and the AKG K7XX.

In the end I've gone with the K7XX, reason being that I have the feeling the K7XX will be more clear while the X2 might have more bass than I care for.

Also, lots of people said the K7XX is better for gaming which I do a lot of (even though X2 is also good for gaming). For the record I'll be pairing it with my Audio Technica AT2020USB+ microphone for gaming. I hope it's a good combo.

My decision is reinforced by the K7XX resale value - even if I ended up not liking it I could just sell it and get the X2 instead. Unlike any other headphone it's value doesn't diminish after being opened.

I do hope I made a good choice. I'm coming from using a Shure SRH440.

I intend to amp it though a Schiit Fulla or FiiO E10k, probably the Fulla - I need an amp I can take around with me, one I can fit in my pocket with my smartphone (iPhone 5S).

I noticed it doesn't come with a short cable though - where can I find mini XLR-to-3.5mm cables for the K7XX? I'd like to have 1 meter, heck even half a meter would be enough, 3 meters is a LOT of cord for me. Wonder if a shorter cord would also lower the resistance a bit? Eh, doubt it, I suppose cables are made well enough that the resistance in the cable is close to zero.

Hope I went a good direction with it.

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 9
  Since I made so many threads, I thought I'd update on what I ended up getting.
I was pondering for a long time between the Philips Fidelio X2 and the AKG K7XX.
In the end I've gone with the K7XX, reason being that I have the feeling the K7XX will be more clear while the X2 might have more bass than I care for.
Also, lots of people said the K7XX is better for gaming which I do a lot of (even though X2 is also good for gaming). For the record I'll be pairing it with my Audio Technica AT2020USB+ microphone for gaming. I hope it's a good combo.
My decision is reinforced by the K7XX resale value - even if I ended up not liking it I could just sell it and get the X2 instead. Unlike any other headphone it's value doesn't diminish after being opened.
I do hope I made a good choice. I'm coming from using a Shure SRH440.
I intend to amp it though a Schiit Fulla or FiiO E10k, probably the Fulla - I need an amp I can take around with me, one I can fit in my pocket with my smartphone (iPhone 5S).
I noticed it doesn't come with a short cable though - where can I find mini XLR-to-3.5mm cables for the K7XX? I'd like to have 1 meter, heck even half a meter would be enough, 3 meters is a LOT of cord for me. Wonder if a shorter cord would also lower the resistance a bit? Eh, doubt it, I suppose cables are made well enough that the resistance in the cable is close to zero.

AKG K7XX headphones like a fair amount of juice to sound their best.
So if your planning on using the iPhone 5S with the K7XX, you might consider getting the FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier.
As I'm fairly sure the FiiO E10K & Schiit Fulla can not work with an iPhone (best guess).

And here is a short cable for the K7XX.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281666362379?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=580671292671&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 9

AKG K7XX headphones like a fair amount of juice to sound their best.
So if your planning on using the iPhone 5S with the K7XX, you might consider getting the FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier.
As I'm fairly sure the FiiO E10K & Schiit Fulla can not work with an iPhone (best guess).

And here is a short cable for the K7XX.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281666362379?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=580671292671&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Schiit Fulla doesn't use an external power supply and works with iPhone. I think I'm getting it since it's also more powerful than the E10k and it's more portable.

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 9
Schiit Fulla doesn't use an external power supply and works with iPhone. I think I'm getting it since it's also more powerful than the E10k and it's more portable.
Might want to check again.

Fulla FAQs said:
 iPhones: you'll need iOS 7 or 8, the magic overpriced Apple cable and a power source (hub or battery, or, for full LOLs, Wyrd.) This is covered in the Guides/Getting Connected section of the site, with links to cables, hubs, etc.

Fulla is portable, but it still need to be tied to a separate power source to work with iPhone.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 9
Oh dear, I saw it had a USB input and thought it was powered by USB. I didn't see what looked like a dedicated power source input anywhere on it.

Well the E11K is apparently only an AMP with no DAC. I need an amp and a dac.

So how's the FiiO Q1 then?

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 9

Never realized the Fulla works with iPhone, guess I need to do more reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back