deleted
Oct 12, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 16
I use a Schiit Magni2/Modi2 Uber combo myself.  I like it.  The amp doesn't really color the sound and keeps it pretty neutral.  Plenty of power for my HD650.

Another good option to go with a Modi is the Vali amp.  Gives a more tubey sound which many prefer with the 600/650.

If you still haven't decided between the 600/650, I would vote for the 650, particularly with your electronic music tastes.  Has a bit warmer sound and a little more bass.  Also is more forgiving with less than stellar produced music, as is quite common in the electronic scene.  I listen to a lot of synth wave myself and the 650 is pretty forgiving with some of my ok, but not great recordings.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 16
+ 1 for Magni/Modi Uber.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 16
IMO/IME I always liked my HD 580 (they're similar enough to the 600 I guess) with something with higher output impedance - like an older stereo receiver. You may (or may not) be able to find such a receiver for fairly cheap if you don't mind searching garage sales or thrift shops etc. At $300 you could also just buy something brand-new from Onkyo (like A-9050). For an actual dedicated headphone amp, Fiio E9 did a fine enough job imho, and isn't horribly expensive. :)

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 16
Valhalla B-Stock is $299 I think. If you need a DAC as well, +1 on the NFB-15 or Modi/Vali.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 16
Personal experience w/ HD600.

Magni 1: very good. Maybe a little bright on certain tracks.

Magni 2 Uber: No brightness problems. Excellent amp.

Valhalla (1): Best pairing, but overkill for the HD600.

I always recommend the Magni (+Modi if needed) because the pairing sounds really good, and a Magni is far more versatile than a Valhalla (which is really good with high impedance cans; not great with low impedance ones).

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 16
I'd suggest Aune T1 mk2 as a DAC and Magni as an amp, can't beat the combo at that price point. One T1 mk2 will feed a tube flavor into the Magni and give it a better soundstage and more musicality.

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 16
... Valhalla (which is really good with high impedance cans; not great with low impedance ones).

Valhalla 1 maybe. I'm listened to Momentums with no issues on my Valhalla on low gain. PM's, totally different story, probably won't work very well. Valhalla gets kinda pushed aside by many because of this misconception I think. The output impedance is only 3.4 on low gain.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 16
My problem is that the Valhalla I is not very transparent.  The output coupling caps put a fog over the entire output and that was with Senn HD600's.  JMHO.  Maybe they fixed that in the newer version?

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 16
I'm not saying I've heard the 600 with every amp out there, but the list is of a reasonable length. The V2 does an excellent job IMO and transparency certainly isn't on my list of complaints. I've never heard the V1, so you may be absolutely right, but I'd give the V2 a fair shake before passing on the short comings from the V1.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 16
Used Valhalla 2. Or don't eat out for a month or two and stretch the budget to $350 and buy yourself a new Valhalla 2.

I have also seen the Bottlehead Crack recommended for these cans by a pretty strong consensus over the years. Can find those used under $300 sometimes too.

Disclaimer: I think the Crack is ugly and just bought a used Valhalla 2.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Now if I got the Valhalla would I have to worry about tube rolling?

No more or less than any other tube amp. Stock tubes are fine. You can try rolling later if you get the itch.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 16
If you are just looking for an amp, you cant beat the Bottlehead Crack + Senn HD600 / HD650 Combo. Yes, you have to build it yourself, but its a tried and true combo. Many modificatiosn can be done to the crack as well, so as money allows upgrades are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back