Defoamed my HD650's- how do I put the foam back in correctly???
Oct 17, 2005 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

IronLion

100+ Head-Fier
I defoamed my HD650's a while ago and when a new thread arose asking about whether or not it added any benefits, I decided to put the foam back in to see if it sounded any better or worse. The thing is, when I snap the ear cushions back into place with the foam in the right place, when I put my Hd650 back on I noticed that the foam that I put back on actually rubs up against some parts of my ear. Is this normal? I don't remember them feeling that way when I first got them, in fact I distinctly remember my ears "hanging in space" so to speak, which was what I found so comfortable about them in the first place. The foam touching my ears is pretty annoying; am I doing something wrong when I'm putting them back in???
confused.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 9
Upon further inspection of my headphones, I've noticed that the headphone cushions seem to be more mushy than when I first bought them. Is there a chance that because they've seen some use they're squishier and allow my ears to get closer to the headphone drivers than before?

Oct 17, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 9
If you look closely at the foams, you'll see an oval "cutout" impression in the center. This part of the foam should be lying flat against the driver. The edges surrounding that cutout should be tucked so that they're bent upward towards you. If they're bent backwards in any way towards the drivers, when you try to put the earpads back on, it'll puff out the center cutout, and your ears will touch the foam when in use.

Oct 17, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
If you look closely at the foams, you'll see an oval "cutout" impression in the center. This part of the foam should be lying flat against the driver. The edges surrounding that cutout should be tucked so that they're bent upward towards you. If they're bent backwards in any way towards the drivers, when you try to put the earpads back on, it'll puff out the center cutout, and your ears will touch the foam when in use.

Is the "oval cutout" that you refer to because of the pressure that the cushions usually put on them? If so, I can't see them anymore because I've had the foams out for over a month now and they've flattened out and disappeared. Otherwise, if they're always there, I just cant see them...
confused.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 9
Should be easily visible if you just hold the pads up to the light. It appears as a faint line. It's basically the line where the pads press into the foams to lock them in place. The earpads "cut" into the foam in this oval area, which is what forms the "cutout".

Oct 17, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by IronLion
Is the "oval cutout" that you refer to because of the pressure that the cushions usually put on them? If so, I can't see them anymore because I've had the foams out for over a month now and they've flattened out and disappeared. Otherwise, if they're always there, I just cant see them...
confused.gif

It should be just from pressure. Or the 6 different pair of 580/600/650's that I have owned are all completely messed up. Try gently stretching the pad out both long ways and short. Then place it down and start putting the ear pad back onto the headphone, but not directly down. Put one side down and work your way down clipping it down until you get to the bottom. When you are down towards the bottom make sure the pad is not bulging out or it will touch your ear again. Good luck.

-Alex-

Oct 17, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the reponses, I tried stretching the foam out and then putting it back in from top to bottom as you advised. I found that it seems to work if when I get to the bottom and right before I fix the entire headphone cushion, I pull the foam out to tighten it over the driver. This reduces its width by stretching it and also makes sure that it isn't folding up away from the driver and touching my ear. This seems to work, but the problem is now that when I stretch it like this and snap the cushion in place, I have some of the foam coming out the bottom of the ear cushions, which looks a little odd. Maybe I should cut some of the foam off and try to stretch it out and close it so that it doesn't stick out?

Oct 17, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by IronLion
Thanks for the reponses, I tried stretching the foam out and then putting it back in from top to bottom as you advised. I found that it seems to work if when I get to the bottom and right before I fix the entire headphone cushion, I pull the foam out to tighten it over the driver. This reduces its width by stretching it and also makes sure that it isn't folding up away from the driver and touching my ear. This seems to work, but the problem is now that when I stretch it like this and snap the cushion in place, I have some of the foam coming out the bottom of the ear cushions, which looks a little odd. Maybe I should cut some of the foam off and try to stretch it out and close it so that it doesn't stick out?

Sorry I didn't see you reply to this post again. Don't stretch it so much that is comes out from the ear pad. Make the pad sit higher up a little and only pull on it a little to the point that it doesn't come out from the ear pad. It might take a few tries, but I have done this before with a pair of 580's about a year ago and it worked fine. Took me 2 or 3 tries though.

-Alex-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back