Definitive Technology/Vienna Acoustics/Mirage/Martin Logan ...which would be best?
Sep 20, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #16 of 26
I'll check and see if we get discounts in the standalone Magnolia Hi-Fi's, that would open up some options for me. Although I like what I'm seeing with the MMG, I think I want something with more bass output. The RS6 looks beautiful and the reviews are excellent, so I think I will try for a pair of these. First of all does anyone know the best way to go about picking a pair up? I see on this website

http://www.avdepot.net/product_info....products_id=67

A pair for $749.99 + regular shipping costs + $110(additional shipping). Am I better off going used? This is really stretching it for my budget, what price can I reasonably expect to pick these up for? Thanks again for all the replies!

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by datura647 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll check and see if we get discounts in the standalone Magnolia Hi-Fi's, that would open up some options for me. Although I like what I'm seeing with the MMG, I think I want something with more bass output. The RS6 looks beautiful and the reviews are excellent, so I think I will try for a pair of these. First of all does anyone know the best way to go about picking a pair up? I see on this website

http://www.avdepot.net/product_info....products_id=67

A pair for $749.99 + regular shipping costs + $110(additional shipping). Am I better off going used? This is really stretching it for my budget, what price can I reasonably expect to pick these up for? Thanks again for all the replies!

that place is shady as hell and i HIGHLY doubt they are an authorized monitor audio dealer so the warranty would be void.

audiogon has used RS6s go up sometimes, however a mint condition pair usually goes for $700 and then probably close to $100 shipping, an old pair that might have a scratch goes for $600...

If the monitor audio are too hard to obtain for whatever reasons try your hand at the klipsch reference series. I just learned these are in bestbuy magnolias yesterday. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1157067061234

The cherry finish on these speakers is really nice, not sure if bestbuy carries that though...

One main complaint with klipsch is they are too bright, however everything else about the speakers is generally stellar. Listen to them and see if they are too bright.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #18 of 26
Yeah we should have a pair of the Klipsch reference speakers in the demo room, I'll take a listen with various types of music next time I'm in. Does anybody know of any hifi stores (besides Magnolia) in the San Diego area?

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #19 of 26
I love my MMG's, the in room response curves I've seen seem to indicate very flat response right to about 70-60hz after which they fall quickly. I haven't done any formal measurements but some sine wave sweeps and low freq test tracks lead me to believe that's fairly typical with the speakers and room properly set up. I wouldn't say I'm dissatisfied with the bass, but I am building a Rythmic 12 inch sub to add in the missing 10-50hz range for some of my music (and let's not forget the movies
very_evil_smiley.gif
) As far as powering them goes they can be power hungry but as long as you aren't pushing reference levels in a large room you should be okay with something at 50-100wpc @4 ohms. Larger rooms or higher volumes though will likely push those amps past their comfort zone.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #21 of 26
Out of all the ones you listed, I prefer certain speakers depending on what you're after and what you're ultimate purpose is.

If you're a guy who likes to walk around the room while you listen to music, then definitely do not get planar speakers like Martin Logan... piss poor horizontal and vertical dispersion characteristics will lead it to sound muted at any other spot other than the sweet spot. That said, I feel that the MLs will have the most cohesive if not the most accurate sound of the choices you gave me. Too bad the Clarity is the lowest in their ESL line (rather it's a Designer series speaker) and it sacrifices a LOT of what makes a Martin Logan ESL great....

If you're a guy who likes to rock it out, no other speaker in your list will be as good as the Deftechs.

If you're a guy who likes your sound to be a bit more on the warmer side of things... a bit more "romantic" as some might say, then the VA are right for you.

Personally, I own the Martin Logan Summits (their top of the line ESL aside from the Statements e2x) and I wouldn't have it any other way. Great horizontal and vertical dispersion considering it's a planar speaker... something the lower MLs like the Clarity does not have. Yet, I think even with the Clarity, they are the perfect speaker for someone who is critical and listens from a listening chair - eyes closed and all.
wink.gif

Good luck...
smily_headphones1.gif

Joey

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #22 of 26
lol your first audiophile to admit that definitive technology sucks and i agree with you. me and you don't have the same speaker brand choice thur i actually prefer the sound of klipsch after an burn in period of at least 100 or more hours.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #23 of 26

Do you have a Martin Logan Preface there in your store, these are going down in price and can be had for a nice discount in some stores.Preface should cost you between 800 and 1000 bucks depending on how much discount you can get.

I havent heard the RS6, but the Silver RX bookshelf speaker was soundly beaten by the new Martin Logan Motion 4 bookshelf which I later chose to keep and returned the Monitor Audio, so I'm not sure how much better the floorstander would be. This wasnt just personal preference the RX just couldnt compare to the detail/resolution/transparency and clarity of the Motion speakers. The only thing they had was better deeper bass, but a subwoofer took care of that for me.

Also, I've seen heavily discounted Klipsch WB series speakers in bestbuy. These are higher end Klispch speakers with exquisite wood finish, and sound pretty decent. I had the small WB14 which was a bit too limiting, but the floorstanders might fare a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back