Definitive Technologies speakers
Jul 15, 2003 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
Our webmaster and I were chatting about speakers the other day, specifically bookshelf type monitors. I am in no way a basshead, but do like to hear a good, tight, accurate bottom end. The cheap subwoofers (like mine) are fine for home theatre but simply are too boomy for music. We started talking about the Definitive Technology PowerMonitor Speakers with a built in powered sub. They received some good reviews at TAS (at least the Power Monitor 700's). Anyone listen to these?

Jul 15, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 11
That link seems to have a typo - it begins with "http://http//" After I took out the second part I was able to get to the site...

edit: as soon as I posted the link was fixed - nevermind

Jul 15, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 11
I'd say if you want-ULTRA-tight bass, I'd go for a pair of Paradigm's Mini Monitors and get one of their subs, which have a super high "q", so they'd fit your bill, and they'd probably be cheaper too
600smile.gif

Jul 15, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 11
These guys should be called DEAFinitive technology
tongue.gif
. Their speakers are nothing great, they receive a lot of hyped reviews because they advertise heavily. You are much better off buying a pair of bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer somewhere else.

Jul 15, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 11
i have not heard the powermonitors.
i have the floorstanding BP2004 . the bass as people have stated is not true coz it has a dial at the back where you can change the settings of the sound of the subwoofer.

the problem of the design of mine is it is bipolar and it can only be good with a good room where you have a lot of space between the speakers and the wall behind it .

it is excellent for movies and above average on music .
but of course other parts of your system matters.

Jul 15, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 11
I have a pair of these:

protower

Very impressive design and performance. My only complaint is that the woofer controls are too touchy.

DT is a great company to deal with. I can't say the same about all of their dealers.

I would personally steer clear of their (or anybody else's) bipolar or dipolar speakers.

Sorry to veer off the "bookshelf" speaker track, but I have never actually kept one of them in a bookshelf. Terrible sound. They always end up on a stand, at which point I wonder why I didn't just buy/build a tower.

gerG

Jul 16, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I'd say if you want-ULTRA-tight bass, I'd go for a pair of Paradigm's Mini Monitors and get one of their subs, which have a super high "q", so they'd fit your bill, and they'd probably be cheaper too
600smile.gif

is their sub ported or sealed? If it's ported or implemented improperly, a high q driver can have boomy bass too...

Jul 16, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 11
I have only heard a pair of Def tech towers, and they were too boomy for my tastes. I have heard that their subs are okay though.

Jul 16, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 11
For home theater in a very big room they would fit the bill nicely, but for music one should look elsewhere. There subs sound fantastic, but if you would like to hear it you should buy at the top of their line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back