Definitive - Best Bass IEM's between £65 - £85
Jan 31, 2010 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

stuntedmonk

New Head-Fier
Before you flame me I have been looking around the site for some time but cannot find the answer for my specific need. I hope you can help.

I've recently borrowed a mates Shure SE110's and the bass is almost non-existent but they do seem really well made and have great clarity. I quite fancied the Ultimate Ears Super.i 3's but I read on Head-Fi that the bass is not very good, is that true? I could go for the SE210's but don't get the impression that the bass improves any. Not sure if that is true either.

Ideally I'm after the most current phones (there seem to be loads that have been on the market for ages). They need to be the best for bass in ear headphones that are currently available. I listen to trance, drum n bass, house and hip hop. Here is the exact criteria

Ideally phones must be:
  • Between £65 - £85 in price (preferably top end of the budget, include any you know are on sale too as it's nice to pick up a bargain)
  • Have good bass but no muddiness
  • Must be IEM's (no over ear phones in ear only please)

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 26
Shure 110 and 210 are definately not for you. I really like my modded Super Fi3, but they are by no mean bass heavy, so they would probably not suit your needs, either.
You should have a look at some dynamic phones. This technology, as opposed to balanced armature used in the model you cited, generally produces heavier bass, that have more impact. Those models are: Monster Turbine, Denon C751/C710, klipsch S4...
If you are from UK, have a look here. They have quite good prices : http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/shopdis...cts.asp?page=2

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 26
Well photofan, you certainly know your stuff. The Monster's sound good. Look at their own description:

Bass So Deep, it Sounds Like There's a Subwoofer
Unlike other headphones that can't reproduce deep bass, Monster Turbines accurately reproduce even the lowest bass notes without distortion. You'll hear thunderous low-end for incredible sound with every kind of music, from the thumping bass beats of hip hop tracks to the deepest pipe organ notes in classical compositions.

Problem is that they are £109 or £134 which is a little too rich for me.

As for Denon, I've never really been sure about that brand. Are they rated in general?

The Klipsch S4 are said to be good for sound but not very well built.

I forgot to mention one more thing (I know I'm pushing this at my budget) but I'd like headphones with thick cables that are well made which I think the Shure's really are. Any ideas how the ones you recommended stand up there?

Thanks again!

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 26
Make a quick research on this site to see wether Denon is a reknown brand
wink.gif

For the Klipsch, you will also find all the info you need here. I cannot tell you more, because I do not have any of those
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 26
Ue super fi has decent bass but not the best. klipsch s4 is really good with its bass, thumping hard and woofer-like sound coming from a comfortable earpiece (have to agree its cable isnt the best). its bass does resemble my ie8 in some ways which is pretty amazing for its price. i had a turbine too and the bass isnt as thumpy as others said, well, not at least after some burn in but the bass is clean and very refined. feel it more than actually listen it. till now, i couldnt find cleaner bass on any other earpiece ive heard. both are good but pretty different, depending on your taste.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninooo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not hippo vb? They have awesome bass!

Second vote for the Hippo VB, they has even more bass impact than my Atrio's and that is with the middle bass setting on the VB's, the disc with the most bass blows everything out of the water in bass reprodctuon

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 26
If you liked the se110s but didn't think they had enough bass, you could try the 115s. They're the dynamic driver version and I listened to my friend's 115s for a bit and they definitely had a good amount of bass, too much for my liking actually (although they were not burned in). And as mentioned above, you could look into the klipsch s4s.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 26
Well, right now, the phones in the running are:

Klipsch S4's as everyone raves about them. That said, they look cheap and nasty (my opinion, no offence meant).

Monster Turbine's. Went and watched a video of someone opening the box of a new pair here (the tune that accompanies this is the sort of heavy bass driven tunage I like BTW):

YouTube - Monster Turbine In-Ear Speakers Unboxed

They look well made.

Hippo VB are, again, getting some major props but I can't see them for sale in the UK?!

Shure SE115 are now also on the list, thanks 7swell. That said, are you 100% sure they have bass? Shure's aren't renowned for this.

Front runners at this stage are the Monster's (look good and a snip on iheadphones at about 40% off) or the Shures, purely cos I've had and used a pair and they are well constructed. If the bass is there, maybe the Shures as they are on Amazon where my £100 voucher is burning a hole...

So, can anyone shed further light on the front runners and why I should jump on any particular brand?

P.S. You seen the service problems people have with iheadphones?

IHeadphones.co.uk experiences - AVForums.com

Major bashings!

Cheers

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 26
"Shure SE115 are now also on the list, thanks 7swell. That said, are you 100% sure they have bass? Shure's aren't renowned for this."

The se115's use a dynamic driver instead of balanced armature, that's why they have more bass. From my understanding, they are the only dynamic IEMs from Shure.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 26
JVC FX500, V-Moda Vibe II, Sony EX300, UE Metro-Fi 220 and UE SF 4..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back