definitely clueless about hi-def audio.
Feb 8, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by quinnyfizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you mention interconnects what exactly do you mean by that? Cables? Are the cables provided not good enough?

Yes, interconnects = cables.

Usually, only standalone CD players come with any supplied cable these days. A USB DAC or interface will likely come with a USB cable with a ferrite core molded around it at one end that you'd be advised to use to connect the box to your PC, but there wouldn't be any cabling supplied to connect its analog outputs to a headamp input. Some sound cards come with a short optical cable, too, but I don't know if that is really typical.

Most standalone DAC's have both coax input (via an RCA jack) and optical inputs, so it's up to the buyer to provide what is needed for his or her particular use.

And while most DACs have RCA analog output jacks, some have balanced (or "combo" balanced/unbalanced) outputs on XLR or TRS jacks. Because the cable required depends on a lot of other factors, there's no sense in including that with the DAC.

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

I am going to revive a dead thread here.

What kind of interconnects can I use for my X-Fi going out to a Gilmore Lite? Where can I obtain some?

Thanks again!

Your probably going to need a mini-to-RCA cable. Its got the mini plug on one end and it branches out to two RCA (red and white) connections on the other. Somewhat longish, about 2-3 meters.

Radioshack sometimes calles these Y-adapters because of their shape.

Blue Jeans cable will sell you one at about 4 feet for less then $40 shipped I bet. Here is some info:

We do have a solution for the 3.5mm (1/8") stereo to (2) RCA connectors
market.

Quote:

It isn't on our website yet, so I've included directions below for placing a
custom order.

We build the cable out of a new, mini-stereo cable that we had specifically
designed for this purpose by Belden. The cable is called BJC MSA-1 and the
price is $25 plus $2 per foot (so a 3 foot cable is $31.00).

If you'd like to order, you can do so by using our custom item page at
Blue Jeans Cable--Custom Item order page. Be sure to specify cable type,
length and connector type in the description field and then follow the
standard PayPal checkout procedures.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your probably going to need a mini-to-RCA cable. Its got the mini plug on one end and it branches out to two RCA (red and white) connections on the other. Somewhat longish, about 2-3 meters.

Radioshack sometimes calles these Y-adapters because of their shape.

Blue Jeans cable will sell you one at about 4 feet for less then $40 shipped I bet. Here is some info:

We do have a solution for the 3.5mm (1/8") stereo to (2) RCA connectors
market.

wow i had the same question..thanks a lot. i saw some in the source (circuit city here in Canada).

but my problem now is...i only have "line out" to put the mini to my little dot.

another out is the spdif out.

what cable do i need for that if i wanna use it?
instead of mini, just a simple rca jack? or should it be optical?? darn im cluless.

i have auzentech prelude.

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennSter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow i had the same question..thanks a lot. i saw some in the source (circuit city here in Canada).

but my problem now is...i only have "line out" to put the mini to my little dot.

another out is the spdif out.

instead of mini, just a simple rca jack? or should it be optical?? darn im cluless.

You need a DAC for SPIF out to be connected into as well as the cable. This will convert that signal from digital to analog for playback at a possibly higher quality then your sources analog outputs. This means using your source as a transport.

Digital Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

If it looks like RCA, you need a Coaxial cable. Its like an RCA, but usually without the weave and you usually want a solid cable core. A little funny port that takes a male plug-in through a window in the back labeled SPDIF is probably optical which uses toslink as the connection system. You can find both cables at the link above.

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

That should be a pretty nice card, I would use mini plug -> RCA cable and wouldn't worry about SPDIF.

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That should be a pretty nice card, I would use mini plug -> RCA cable and wouldn't worry about SPDIF.

Indeed, that is the best solution for you at this point.

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #23 of 30
manaox, koshui, sejarzo....thanks so much for the inputs. i saw a set of those. no need for spdif huh?

ill just get the miniplug> rca then..im just concerned about the signal coming out from "line out" instead of the "front" (which my speakers use and i dont wanna plug-unplug it).

thanks again!

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

ill just get the miniplug> rca then..im just concerned about the signal coming out from "line out" instead of the "front" (which my speakers use and i dont wanna plug-unplug it).

I assume you have pair of active PC speakers in 2.0 configuration connected to your card as front speakers.
One idea here is that you get RCA splitter cable to divide line-out to headphone amp and speakers.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #25 of 30
Well here is an update from me:

I just ordered a used Gilmore Lite with DPS, an e-mu 0404 usb 2.0(backordered), and the mini to rca adapter from Blue Jeans.

I'll let you all know when I receive them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

I assume you have pair of active PC speakers in 2.0 configuration connected to your card as front speakers.
One idea here is that you get RCA splitter cable to divide line-out to headphone amp and speakers.

i actually have a z5500 which is a 5.1 so im leaving it connected to the front...

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Well here is an update from me:

I just ordered a used Gilmore Lite with DPS, an e-mu 0404 usb 2.0(backordered), and the mini to rca adapter from Blue Jeans.

I'll let you all know when I receive them.
smily_headphones1.gif

So your plan is to go USB>0404 USB>mini-to-RCA>Gilmore Lite, right?

That's a rig that should serve you very well for a long time.

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So your plan is to go USB>0404 USB>mini-to-RCA>Gilmore Lite, right?

That's a rig that should serve you very well for a long time.

Agreed, thats a very attractive beginning rig at price point. I think you hit value about on the jaw.

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

i actually have a z5500 which is a 5.1 so im leaving it connected to the front...

Sorry to say, but you just hit the most annoying issue in modern computer soundcards. You can't select the output jack from software
frown.gif

Hmm.. z5500 has Toslink and Coaxial SPDIF so you might be better off connecting z5500 with Toslink to Prelude (which then would use z5500 DAC for D/A conversion). Do you have headphone out in front of your computer case. I know it is a hassle to plug/unplug , but I think it would be your best bet i.e. connect z5500 to the back of the computer and when using headphones connect gilmore to front of the computer. This way you can keep volume controls maxed in OS and control it from either z5500 controller or HP amp.

If you know someone with electronics experience it is pretty easy to build a switch to enable/disable headphone 'mode'.

Feb 21, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Sorry to say, but you just hit the most annoying issue in modern computer soundcards. You can't select the output jack from software
frown.gif

Hmm.. z5500 has Toslink and Coaxial SPDIF so you might be better off connecting z5500 with Toslink to Prelude (which then would use z5500 DAC for D/A conversion). Do you have headphone out in front of your computer case. I know it is a hassle to plug/unplug , but I think it would be your best bet i.e. connect z5500 to the back of the computer and when using headphones connect gilmore to front of the computer. This way you can keep volume controls maxed in OS and control it from either z5500 controller or HP amp.

If you know someone with electronics experience it is pretty easy to build a switch to enable/disable headphone 'mode'.

sigh....i guess you are right..thats all i can do for now..thanks for the help koshui...really appreciate it.reps for yah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back